Author Topic: Mystery Martha from Shipham  (Read 9860 times)

Offline cstock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Martha from Shipham
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 May 10 14:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I have Elizabeth and her family from the 1841 census until her death in 1865. She lives with one of the daughters at each census. Can you provide more info about Farmer's descendants? I think with the state of the parish registers, the only way I will find a link is through DNA testing.

Offline cannyfindit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 May 10 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
This is what I have gathered over the years;

Farmer STOCK married Martha TRIPP, if this is the correct line for me, according to Sue's earlier offering to me in this post; 31st May 1820 (190 years ago, almost to the day, now).
Martha Tripp believed born c1790, so she was quite a bit younger than her husband.

Their children:
a) John, bap. 30th July 1820.
b). Farmer, born c1823, bap. 2nd January 1825. Not seen in the 1841 census with the family; but there is a Farmer Stock to be found with a Lock family in Claverham, near Yatton, Somerset. Since the 1841 census does not reveal any other likely Farmer Stock individuals, this could be the same one; he could have gone to work there.

c). William, also bap. 2nd January 1825. Not seen in the 1841 census with the family, either; a boy of the same name, aged 15, is to be found in the 1841 census for Winscombe, with a family called Demack or Dernack. Just guesswork that it might be the same William.

d) Henry, bap. 25th June 1826. I didnt know about this one until last night when I searched the lists again!
e). Mary, bap 21st September 1828.
f). Charles, bap 21st November 1830. Aged 3 (?!) in the 1841 census, but 19 in the 1851 census.
g). Frank; uncertain birthyear; the 1841 Shipham census gives his age as 8, but it is not clear whether this is 8 years or 8 months. No sign of him in the 1851 census.

Farmer Stock senior's age on the 1841 census is given as 65; Martha is given as 45. Martha was a widow by 1851, Farmer having died possibly during the last quarter of 1844 in the Axbridge district.

Farmer Stock senior's siblings:
 Elizabeth STOCK, no other information known at the moment.
 Ruth STOCK, no other information known at the moment.

Going on with the next generation:

1. John Stock 1820; thought to have married a Mary Ann MERRETT in 1851, St Philip & St Jacob Church, Bristol. As it is, John turned out to be older than I originally thought, so I am not yet totally certain of this marriage.

2. Farmer STOCK of c1823 married Louisa COTTRELL, born c 1821,Cheddar, Somerset. Marriage date: 1847.

Their children :
a) Eliza, born 1848.
b) William c1852 or 1855. (recently found by chance in a 1901 census)
c) Mary, c1852
d) Henry c1855.
e) Emma c1860

3. William STOCK c1825; no further details known.
4. Henry STOCK; nothing yet.
5. Mary STOCK 1828; no further details known.
6. Charles STOCK 1830; not researched further yet.
7. Frank STOCK; no further details.

Farmer Stock "junior"'s children and their marriages:
1. Eliza (1848) married Samuel HEALE, born c1845, Cheddar. There is a very large family tree with this one. I'll supply it if you think it's any use.
2. William (1852/1855) possibly married; a Mary Harvey or Mary Clark (not sure which). Uncertain of this one at the moment.
Their children (known of);
a) Louisa 1878
b) Sarah E. 1880

3. Mary (1852); no details known. It is thought she may have emigrated.
4. Henry (1855); no details known. I am now not at all certain that there ever was a Henry in the family, although there is a death entry in the Axbridge registers for a Henry James Stock in 1858.
5. Emma (1860) married John DAY; again another reasonable sized tree, available if you require it. This is my line.

Hope this is of help; please let me know if you need clarification on anything.

Carey or Carrey (Lanarkshire, Galloway, ?Ireland)
Mathie (Renfrewshire)
Wilson (Cumbria, Northumberland)
Lawson (Cumbria, beyond)
James (Bradford on Avon and Cardiff)
Green (Bradford on Avon)
Tripp (Cheddar and Shipham, Somerset)

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

When I read this thread, I thought it sounded familiar, so went searching through and sure enough I did find a Tripp/Stock marriage but it wasn't Martha.  Mine was Isaac Tripp 1734 to Rachel Stock b 1733 but both were from  big families in the area, so it is not surprising that there was more than one marriage between the two families.  In fact I also have William Tripp marrying Grace Stock.

Farmer is an unusual name but I also have Major and Agent Tripp sons of Samuel Tripp and Charlotte Winter.

I am sure that somewhere along the way all these families are connected but it takes a lot of time and concentration to sort them out.

Best of luck with it.
Elizabeth

Offline cannyfindit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 18:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Liz; I do also have a Rachel Stock in my lists, born 1733: an older sister of Joseph Stock (married to) Sarah Athay, as discussed earlier. As you say, they must all be inextricably tangled together; Shipham was not very big (and it still isn't!).
Carey or Carrey (Lanarkshire, Galloway, ?Ireland)
Mathie (Renfrewshire)
Wilson (Cumbria, Northumberland)
Lawson (Cumbria, beyond)
James (Bradford on Avon and Cardiff)
Green (Bradford on Avon)
Tripp (Cheddar and Shipham, Somerset)

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 19:23 BST (UK) »
You are so right, it seems the smaller the village the closer the families are.  There must have been so much intermarriage years ago, it's a wonder we are not all mad.

I haven't extended my tree to include siblings of that line as it is getting further away from my direct line which comes through Henrietta Tripp (sister to Major and Agent) then to the Tuttons then to the Coopers of Cheddar.

It is nice to know that there are others working very closely to my own family links.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth

Offline cstock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 21:38 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling the Stocks of Shipham ultimately come down to a few siblings. Until someone transcribes the early parish records we will never know.

Re: Farmer, I've seen Farmer Wookey and probably one or two others with that name. I wish more had unique names. Too many of them were named Joseph, John, Sarah and Elizabeth.

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 June 10 09:08 BST (UK) »
I have a lot of ancestors in Shipham and found the following site useful. You may well have seen it.
http://www.thomasgenweb.com/shipham_parish_records.html

I do see mention of a Farmer STOCK on the recent additions.

Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz in France
Noticed your connection to Tripp and Tutton family from Shipham. My Mother-in-law was a Tutton descended from Samuel Tutton born abt 1810 Shipham married Mary Ann Tripp b.1811 Shipham at Parish Church, Dundry 2nd July 1832. Any connection?
Regards, Syljun

Offline Liz in France

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 June 10 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Syljun,

There probably is a connection between your Tutton/Tripps and mine but as of this moment I haven't extended the family.  I have copied out a lot of BMD's probably from Family Serach, with the intention of putting them on a database to try to form them into families but you know how it is, a lot of good intentions and not a lot of time.  If I get to a result, I will let you know but as it is on the edge of my tree, it is not the most important part of my research.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth