Author Topic: RETURN OF OWNERS OF LAND 1873 - MIDDLESEX  (Read 6056 times)

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
RETURN OF OWNERS OF LAND 1873 - MIDDLESEX
« on: Monday 31 December 07 15:28 GMT (UK) »
This is now online and records all those who owned an acre of more land at this date. It does not list property owners and only applies to rural Middlesex

http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/datafiles/landtaxsearch.html

It is probably best not to put the address in.  Just the surname and county.

I have a copy of the return so feel free to contact me if you would like to check any results that you find here.

Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RETURN OF OWNERS OF LAND 1873 - MIDDLESEX
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 11 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Rick

I am looking for any land records related to ancestors of mine.  I had a look at your link and put their name into the database without any hits.  Am wondering if you could have a look for me please?  Their names are Edward and Frances Leighton and they lived at Lochbie House Hornsey Rise.  They died as follows:
Rev Edward Leighton d 2 Nov 1874 Lochbie House, Hornsey Rise, Middlesex
Frances Leighton  d reg Sept 1882 at Edmonton

I am assuming that they would have been land holders as they operated a school for boys and owned Lochbie House which I assume means they must have also owned the land.  However this is the way it is in Australia but may not be the way that it is in England.   

Kind regards
Marie

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

Waltersville Road (Crouch Hill) Islington is still there and you can walk the street using the photographs on Google maps

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

The road is now mostly large flats which will give you some indication of the size of the original properties though less likely that a full acre of land surrounded each property. The surrounding streets seem to have their smaller original houses. The school was in the house and in 1871 Charlotte their daughter was head of house and they were living with her as Edward was by then a retired independent (mostly likely Congregationalist) minister. He doesn't appear to have left a will and his estate doesn't appear to have had an administration, though some years of the probate index such as 1876 are not online if an administration occurred later. From the start of the building of the railways the suburbs of London expanded rapidly as railways allowed for commuting so by 1873 Hornsey Rise would not really have been part of rural Middlesex (county) which would have been areas furthest away from the City of London that were still mainly agriculturally based.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornsey_(parish)

It was the policy of many non-conformist churches to regularly move their ministers so they didn't stay many years in any one place but Edward was certainly there from at least 1865 onwards.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Valda
Thank you for that; however are you saying that Lochbie House, Hornsey Rise Middlesex is now called Waltersville Road Islington? 
Also where did you find the information that identified the school being part of the house? 
Regards
M

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

On the 1871 census Charlotte Leighton was head of the household at Lochbie House in Waltersville Road Crouch Hill (then part of Hornsey) in the district of Islington. She was a schoolmistress and proprietor of the school. Listed with her were 18 pupils but there may have been more who were day pupils. The census only lists who were present in the household that night. Also listed were 4 teachers, a few servants and Charlotte's parents. Looking at the street today on Google maps the large houses that used to be there have been replaced by newer buildings of flats.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 September 11 00:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you Valda. Much appreciated.
Regards
Marie