Author Topic: Ann Bateman - born Cork 1810 - father Michael  (Read 3112 times)

Offline lizb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Bateman - born Cork 1810 - father Michael
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 January 17 10:27 GMT (UK) »
HI Dan
I have not looked at this family recently , but, from memory.....

I have not been able to definitely trace family back in Ireland before they came to U.K.

I have traced two probable brothers in the U.K. One was called Rowland which was a family name Ann used for one of her sons. Another Michael, a shoemaker like his father, was transported to australia and made good there. BOth born in Cork about right time As I said, not definite, but details fit.
If I am right this would rule out your Michael. Though possibly a relative.

Let me know if you find anything else to connect. I have tried looking all sorts of places to trace back the family in Ireland and liked you, feel very frustrated.

LIz
BEDFORDSHIRE/HERTFORDSHIRE: Coles, Marsom, Hurst
BERKSHIRE/WILTSHIRE: Huntley, Williams,  Maslin, Pinnell, Watson, Gulliver, Penny
DERBYSHIRE: Brinsley
DEVON: Bidgood, Northam, Gillard, Westlake
GLOUCESTER: Abrahams, Pritchard, Washburn
IRELAND: Dean, Bateman
MIDDLESEX: Howe, Leah, Truelove
NEW ZEALAND: Bishop, Frankham, Oliver, Gribble
NORFOLK: Liffen, Hacon
SOMERSET: Bishop, Bridges, Palmer, Newport, Barrow, Hill, Wise, Boyte

Offline Irish Finder

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 January 17 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz

Michael Bateman was from Helvic and was on a register for having land in Ringanoah (spelling?) The Irish call it Ring. I have reason to believe that the family moved to northern ireland as Melicina, one of his third daughters married as a minor in northern Ireland.  It wouldn't make sense for her to leave the family home to teach and move so far away by herself. Her mother Anne died at her daughter Melicina and son in laws home in Swatragh which was the post office. Prior to this the father Michael Bateman died at his son in laws in Dublin while visiting i assume.

Im trying to establish family connections to other Batemans to get further up the tree.

Melicina is a name from the Hugenouts (spelling) in Cork. So it has been suggested that with marriages of the Bennet and Beville children which gave Anne Beville, Michael Bateman's wife, that their daughter Melicina Batemen was named after.

As far as i know, none of my family were transported  to Australia.

Its so frustrating but given the "B" names above, they appear in England. So if i can find peoplr born there around that time then perhaps i can establish a linkage?

Cheers

Dan :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 January 17 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Bateman Will Calendars...  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01j6e/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.