Author Topic: Green family of Bedfordshire  (Read 27584 times)

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re:Green family of Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 June 04 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Criggy,

Sorry for the delay in answering you, been away for a few days.

Thanks for the 1841 look up. I had a look at the 1851 Meppershall at the FRC and the 1861 cd's I got nothing at all. Went through a lot of the 1851 around those villages, not a sausage.

I would have thought if there were family around there they would have gone to them.

I'm in chaos at the moment. Builders finished my extension last week, been away this week. Lot of clearing up to do, when it's sorted I'm going through 1861 to see if there is any trace of any of them.

If you want anything looked for let me know.

Thanks Diane
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Green family of Bedfordshire
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane

More burials for you.

Meppershall 1813 -1864 no Greens that I could find.

Clifton 1813-1886 Greens (all from Clifton unless stated otherwise)

1831 Jan 6    Mary       70
1834 Nov 15    Hannah                    35
1838 Sep? 1   George      59
1844 Dec 10    Emma      17
1847 Jun 10   John      60
1852 Sep 8   Sarah      63
1852 Oct 4    Sarah      77 of Shefford  (Probaly Graem but could be Green!)
1853 Apr 8   Martha      infant
1853 Jun 6   Warner      43 of Shefford
1854 Ap 5   Elizabeth                   65
1856 My 19   Lucy      20
1865 Jul 7   Lucy      64
1870 Dec 29    Charles Robert   7(or an open 9!)months 1 week
1874 Mar 30    Samuel      71 (I think!)

Just in case you find a link, I noted the following!

1834 Mar 3   Elizabeth Arch          69
1832 May 24    John Arch                   68
1864 Mar 26    William Arch             65

Hadn’t taken your notes with me because I didn’t think I would have time to do anything. Remembered George and thought I’d found him but now realise you found George & Ann in the 1841 census. If they had died by 1851 there should be burials for them unless they had moved! Hope I didn’t miss them! Think it’s looking good for John & Sarah though, who are thought to be George’s parents.

Puzzle – Sarah Green buried 1852 aged 63. Where was she in the 1851 census!!! Warner Green above could be George's brother (son of John & Sarah c 1807) - he was living in Shefford when he died in 1853. Was the Graem entry really Green - she was from Shefford as well? Next step - check the 1851 index for Greens at Shefford?

Regards

criggy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 14:26 BST (UK) »
Criggy,

Thanks again for all your help and time you have taken to help me.

I really do have to locate them in 1851. George and Ann are likely to have died in between 1841 and then, I will have to see how the funds go and try and get some indexes.

I didn't find anything on the 1861 that I have so far looked at.

The children must be somewhere, I located most of them ( the boys) in 1871 London, so I doubt they would have gone that early.

My William had his first marriage in 1859 in London. By then he would have been  around 23.

Definately a puzzle. Beds are so good though with their parish reg transcripts, as soon as I get something definite will buy them. I bought Clifton, but that hasn't really helped.

Anyway enough rambling.

Thanks  Diane
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 14 July 04 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi again Criggy,

I've just been having another look on the IGI.

Found a marriage for a John Green and Sarah 17 Sept 1789 Meppershall.

That buriel you gave me for Sarah Green age 77 of Shefford would fit more if that marriage is "mine".

The children that come up for John and sarah range from 1793/1811

Will have to dig a bit more, also just had a look on my list of pr's for Beds. Shefford doesn't have one of it's own, in my Phillimores the reg district is Biggleswade     but it's paired with Campton , what should I look under.

Thanks Diane

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 July 04 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane

I'm not sure about the PRs but if you check the Bedford Records Office site (not sure of it's exact title) or perhaps Bedfordshire libraries reference sections they may provide an answer.

When you checked the 1841 census did you write down all the Green entries? I checked these when I did the 51 then got home and saw you had already checked the 41. (Typical me - hadn't taken all my notes with me!!) Anyway my notes tell me:

1841 Census Clifton, Pedleye? Farm page 21

Sarah Green 65 Ind  Y
Warner Green 30 Farmer Y
Martha Stevens 20 FS Y

This entry ties in nicely with the Shefford Warner burial and the one for Sarah. Sarah appears to have been Warner's mother and was probably a widow. It would appear she was provided for so if she was John's widow he may have left a will!!

Conclusion  -  the Warner Green above was probably the one c 1807 at Meppershall son of John & Sarah. Evidence suggests they moved from Meppershall to Clifton sometime between 1808 -1840. They also had a George c 1802 at Meppershall. A George Green was also found at Clifton in 1841 aged 40 married to Ann. Sarah & Warner moved to Shefford 1842 - 1852. Something must have happened to George & Ann though in order for their children to be receiving poor relief & staying with relatives in 1851. You didn't say whether William was one of the children?

Will make a note to check the 1851 index at Shefford for you if you would like me to shen I next visit the library.

Regards

criggy

Researching London: Crisp, Leahy, Lumley. Berks: Billington, Leahy, Newbury, Yorks: Naylor, Smith, Thackwray, Wilkinson, Lancs: Smith. Leics: Everitt, Marshall, Purcell, Lincs: Bullivant, Everitt, Johnson, Sargeant, Ward. Gloucs: Chard, Coopey, Cowley, Croome, May, Millman, Organ, Savage, Shearman. Ireland: Leahy (Killarny, Kilkenny, Kerry, Cork)

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 July 04 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Criggy,

That would be a great help.

As I said the Shefford register isn't available on it's own so not sure what's what there. plus they only go up to 1812.

William wasn't with the children in 1851. Where he was from 1841 census up until his marriage in london 1859 is the mystery. He would have been 16 in 1851 so more than likely working somewhere?

Somebody did try to check the poor relief records some time ago for me and was told they had been destroyed so that;s a shame.

The Beds ro checked the 1851 index for a George and Anne Green there was nothing, they never came back to me as to whether  George or an Anne Green were on it of the right age.

I went through the death registers for Anne and George but there were several.

I'm going to find those references and see if there are any more likely? and maybe order one.

Thanks Diane

Offline criggy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 July 04 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Checked Shefford 1851 Census, see attached.

Warner Green Head U 77 Proprietor of Houses bn Shefford
Sarah Green Sister W 75 bn Henlow
Warner Green Nephew U 41 Butcher bn Stanford
+ 2 servants

Clifton marriages:

11.10.1824 by banns
Charles Lewington bachelor otp = Ann Kitchener spinster otp. Both signed.
Wit: John Paul, Ann Taylor, Wm Scott.

James Green of Letchford in Herts, bachelor = Charlotte Lincoln otp both left their marks.
Wit: George Field, William Scott.

8.3.1827 by licence
Samuel Green of Southill in Beds bachelor = Lucy Green spinster. Both signed.
Wit: John Arch, Elizabeth Green

4.2.1830 by banns
George Green otp = Ann Lewington widow otp. George left his mark, Ann signed.
Wit: William Kitchener, Mary Green & William Scott

30.4.1831 by banns
William Kitchener otp bach + Susan Miles spinster otp. Both signed.
Wit: William Strap, Mary Taylor, William Scott

3.5.1832 by banns
Andrew Ashby otp = Mary Ann Green otp. Both signed.
Wit: James Ashby, Elizabeth Jane Ashby, William Scott.

23.9.1834 by licence
William Green of Hackney in the county of Middlesex bachelor = Rebecca Fields spinster. Both signed.
Wit: Harriet Lay? George H Field, (3 others – difficult to read), Henry ?---bell, William Field, William Scott.

Checked the IGI - There is a Warner Green c 17.3.1774 at Campton, Beds by John & Martha. Campton is between Meppershall & Shefford!

Also in Campton George Green bn 12.6.1809 & c 18.2.1810 son of George & Fanny. Is he yet another contender? Adult chr at Campton 10.7.1809 for a George Green probably Fanny’s husband.

Also a Sarah Porter c Elizabeth Green or Porter at Campton. Thomas Green = Sarah Porter 19.8.1802 at Southill. They in turn had a Warner Green c 30.11.1809 at Southill. Southill is near Standford just north of Shefford!

Hope the above helps rather than hinders.

Regards

criggy

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 July 04 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Criggy,

Thanks yet again.

As you say it could throw up another George, but never mind I'm used to this by now!!

I have the children off school now, so I think as I've now got so much info from you to go with what I already had I will concentrate on this family and try to piece it all together. Then I can make a decision what other records to go for.

The 1861 has been a bit of a waste of money (another impulse I'm afraid).

Thanks once again it really is much appreciated.

Take care

Diane

:) :) :)

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 July 04 15:45 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say,

also that William Green of Hackney is interesting, could there have been family in London and that is where my William went when orphaned.

The plot thickens.

Diane :) ???