Author Topic: Ruhleben camp - British civilian POWS interned in Germany  (Read 8524 times)

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ruhleben camp - British civilian POWS interned in Germany
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 March 15 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Have you ruled out the William Neal Jones whose probate shows died 13 2 1921? Address in Middlesborough. The downside on that one is slight variation in middle name and that the probate was granted to Elizabeth, his widow.

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 March 15 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Death report of Elizabeth Jones wife of Capt William Neale Jones (currently in captivity) in Middlesborough Daily Gazette 21 1 1915 strengthens the link to the Probate?

But.

GRO Death Index in 1921 of William N Jones at Middlesborough District puts age at 50. This might be a typo for 60?

edit: probate address = 43 Clifton Street
newspaper article address = 64 Parliament Street

Offline Penstone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 March 15 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gwil. Interestingly the family did live at Clifton St some years earlier. However I have just found a marriage of William N Jones to Elizabeth Petch/Patch in 1919 so that might provide the answer. As always all it needs is another pair of eyes! On the case again....

Offline KaiF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 October 15 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm working on the story and work of Etcher / Painter Bernard Schumacher (1872-1932).
He was growing up in London and he was becoming a Member of the Royal Academy of Art.
At the beginning of the 20th century his Family (from Bremen) returned to Germany.
From his family I learned, that he was detained at the beginning of the WWI "near Berlin".

From the nice http://ruhleben.tripod.com/ site I found out that he was in Ruhleben until his departure. Back in Berlin he found his studio robbed - especially all his copper plates. He had shortly got a German Passport and was short after he was in the German Army and was then again prisoner of war - as a German in Bucharest.

If you are interested, a Picture of Bernard Schumacher can be found at  https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Schumacher ...
(Sorry the wiki entry I made is only available in German - need to be translated).
Some pictures of his work can be found at https://www.pinterest.com/ifxquest/bernard-schumacher-werke/

Let me know if anything else if of interest for you and the Ruhleben Story.

I'd be interested if there is way to get a scan of the original entry - mentioned on the tripod site - from MT 9/1094. List 10 "Camp Changes including removals etc. since 29th November 1916".

Regards
Kai

Offline BernardSch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 March 18 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kai

Appreciate your message was from some years ago but if you get read could you contact me; i too am researching Bernard Schumacher as I may have an artwork he produced while in Ruhleben.
I am keen to know more and to establish who the subject is.
Thanks.

Offline KaiF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 07:52 GMT (UK) »
BernardSch,

You may send an email to info<at>bernard-schumacher.de if this is off topic. I've found in between some documents where in some exhibitions during his stay in Ruhleben some work is listed. if you may send me a picture of your artwork would be great. You may also check out the list under:
http://www.bernard-schumacher.info/werke.html
The #199 - 214 are ones I found listed in these documents ....

Offline taniahuangtaylo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have just found this site when searching for Ruhleben.

My husband’s grandfather was interned with Bernard Schumacher and we have a couple of drawings he did whilst in the camp of my husband’s grandfather, Elias Schneider, and one drawn from a photograph of my husband’s father as a little boy. They are beautiful drawings.

Thought you would be interested if you are researching Bernard Schumacher.

Tania

Offline KaiF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 May 19 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Tania,

That are great news for my research.
I'm very interested in any detail you may be able to offer. 
As many of the work B.S. has done for individuals it's very hard to find at least examples of the work.
May you please contact me via the email info<at>bernard-schumacher.de ?

So we can follow up with the details ?

Many thanks
Kai

Offline taniahuangtaylo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 May 19 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes of course. I will send you photos of the pics of my husband’s father and grandfather.

I also have an etching (I think it’s called that) of The Smoker which I bought on eBay from America. It’s supposed to be original but I’m not sure, although it is very old and in fragile condition.

I’ll be in touch with you.

Kind regards,

Tania