Author Topic: DAVIDSON - WARBURTON  (Read 9443 times)

Offline ari123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DAVIDSON - WARBURTON
« on: Wednesday 02 January 08 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information on - John DAVIDSON and Elizabeth Mary WARBURTON - daughters Ellen Amelia DAVIDSON b 1836 in Moira (C Antim or C Down? it's a long way from Australia!) and Mary Ann (married a McDowell) - both came to Australia in 1850's. ari 123

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: DAVIDSON - WARBURTON
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 February 08 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello ari123,

What denomination were your Davidson and Warburton ancestors? Were they members of the Catholic faith, the Established Church (Anglicans or Church of Ireland) or members of the Presbyterian Church?

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist. 

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 February 08 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Moira is in County Down not Antrim.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ari123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 February 08 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply re DAVIDSON in Moira, C Down.
I only know that John Davidson married Mary WARBURTON and daughter, Ellen Amelia was born in MOIRA. Ellen came to Australia in 1858. Coincidentally, her daughter's future in laws were the MOORE's from C Tyrone and a John DAVIDSON was a witness at their marriage. I suppose stranger things have happened!?
Barbara in Sydney

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Barbara,

Griffith's Valuation for Moira 1863-4 shows no Davidson families. www.raymondscountydownwebsite.com/griffiths_extracts_63-64/Moira.htm

Here are the Warburtons in Ulster between 1848-64.

Peter Warburton, Corr & Dunavally, Loughgall. Armagh
Peter Warburton, Charlemont, Loughgall. Armagh
Biddy Warburton, Carnmeen, Newry. Down

Christopher

Offline anniebelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 November 09 21:50 GMT (UK) »
While researching my McDowell ancestors I came upon your message.  I am a descendant of John McDowell and Mary Ann Davidson who came to Australia as assisted immigrants in 1855 per the ship "Anna". They had 9 children.  The first, Ellen A was born on the voyage to Aust.  They lived in Parramatta NSW.  John had a dairy there.  He died o 17 Sept 1905.  I have not been able to locate Mary Ann's death certificate.  I am decended from Samuel, their 3rd child.  Unfortunately  I have no information from their period in ireland except: Mary Ann gave her native place as Co Down, her parents as John & Elizabeth Davidson. In 1855 her father had died & mother was living in Belfast. John's native place was Tedavnet, Monaghan; parents Samuel & Mary living at Coote Hill, Monaghan in 1855.  I would love to hear of any more information you have on John & Mary Ann or their parents.  I can provide information on their period in Australia if this is of interest.
McDowell, Co Cavan, Co Monaghan-NSW
Davidson, Co Down-NSW
Hayes, Co Tipperary-Vic, NSW
Hayes, Co Wexford-NSW
Kennedy, Co Tipperary-Vic, NSW
McAlary, McIlhinney, Keilt, McNichol, Shannon Co Derry-Vic, NSW
Rochester, Sussex-NSW
Matthews, Kent-NSW
Lyons/Hynes Co Kildare-NSW
Grimes, Lancashire-NSW
Hall, Essex/London-NSW
Seath, Kent-NSW
Long, Woolwich-NSW
Meyer, Heist, Germany-Vic
Goldsmith, Gordon, Wall, Co Wexford-Vic,NSW
Fraser, Hassard, Fermanagh, St Helens, Lancashire-Vic

Offline wjdavidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 June 15 21:40 BST (UK) »
Adam Davidson b. 24 Feb 1832 Co. Down and died 2 Apr 1885 Hillsborough, Co. Down, was my great-grandfather.  His older brother was William Warburton Davidson (1829-1910).  He was the headmaster (or superintendent) of the Brookfield (Friend's) school at Moira.  A younger brother John Matthew emigrated to America (New York).  The three brothers were the children of John Matthew Davidson and his wife Alice, née Warburton.

John Matthew and Alice also had two daughters who emigrated to Australia.  I don't have a record of their first names.  I do have a family record that says one was Mrs. McDowell and the other Mrs. Burling.

I'm interested in the parents, John Matthew Davidson and his wife, Alice, née Warburton. I don't have any official record of Alice Warburton.  Our family story says she was descended from a Lord Warburton who had a large estate in Co. Down.  Unverified.

Hoping to shed some light on the elusive Alice (if that was really her name) Warburton.

Regards

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 June 15 22:00 BST (UK) »
WILLIAM WARBURTON
DAVIDSON
DIED AT RICHHILL
4TH OF 10TH MONTH 1910
AGED 80 YEARS
SARAH JANE
DAVIDSON
DIED 30TH OF 5TH MO 1920
AGED 82 YEARS
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 June 15 22:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry that was at... Headstone Inscription in Friends Burial Ground, Maghaberry, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland from the Sinton Family Tree

http://www.sinton-family-trees.com/headstones/all-view.php?cid=11&id=1011&pid=1783&name=William%20Warburton%20Davidson&year=1910
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.