Author Topic: DAVIDSON - WARBURTON  (Read 9430 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DAVIDSON - WARBURTON
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 June 15 22:14 BST (UK) »
William War burton Davidson, so well known in the north of Ireland, both through his
long and useful career as Superintendent of the Friends' School at Brookfield, Co. Antrim, and as a religious teacher and valued minister of the gospel, was born at Gilford, Co. Down, in April
In 1879, William W. Davidson and his wife experienced a heavy trial in the tragic death of
one of their sons, a pupil at the school, who was killed by an explosion of gas which was being
prepared for a lantern exhibition, though other boys in the room remained unhurt. Again, in
1881, a similar trial befell them in the death of another son by an effusion of blood on the brain
just after taking his seat in Meeting.

The funeral at Megaberry was attended by many Friends from Richhill and Lisburn Monthly
Meetings, by the children and officers of Brookfield School, and by several members of
his family, including his nephews, Robert John and Alfred Davidson, at home on furlough from
China.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline anniebelle

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 June 15 00:30 BST (UK) »
Very interested to see the recent postings from WJDavidson and Hallmark.  Since my posting on 17 Nov 2009 I have done further research on my Mary Ann Davidson and her sister, Eleanor Amelia (Ellen) Davidson.A correction to my earlier post- John McDowell's parents, Samuel and Mary were living at Coolkill East, Co Monaghan in 1855.
Additional information re Mary Ann Davidson: Mary Ann was born at Gilford, Co Down. Mary Ann married John McDowell on 9 Feb, 1853 at the Alfred St Church, Parish of Shankill, Belfast, Co Antrim by the rites of the Presbyterian Church.  The witnesses were Alexander Millar and ALexander Deans. John recorded his occupation as labourer and his father, Samuel McD, also a labourer. Mary Ann's father was recorded as John Davidson, a servant. Both executed their marriage by making their X mark. (PRONI 1853 Belfast Vol2 p891) Mary Ann died on 13 Jan, 1916 at Merrylands Rd., Granville, NSW at 88 years. She was buried on 14 Jan, 1913 at Methodist Cemetery, Rookwood. NSW(NSW Death Regn 1916/2076) The death registration gives her mother's name as Bessie Warburton. Informant to Death REgistration: Robert McKenzie Meldrum, Son-in-law of Chatswood, NSW.
Additional information on Ellen Amelia Davidson: On 29 Mar 1858 Mary Ann paid 4 pounds to sponsor her sister, Ellanor's immigration to Aust. At the time Elanor was living in Belfast and employed as a general house servant. Eleanor arrived in Aust on 21 Dec 1858 per "Forest Monach' as an Assist Immigrant. She married Louis Burling, an English immigrant at Parramatta, NSW on 23 Dec 1861 by the rites of the Primitive Methodists. Eleanor died on 1 Jan 1903 at Lemongrove, Penrith, NSW. Her parents are recorded as John Davidson, a Baker and mother as Mary Warburton. She was buried at the Methodist portion of the General Cemetery Emu Plains, NSW. (NSW Death Reg 1903/3279. Informant T Burling, Son, of ALstonville)

Note: information on Death Certificates given by informants may not always be accurate.

Mary Ann and Eleanor's mother's name has changed on various docs. Elizabeth, Bessie, Mary and now Alice.  Would be good to know the accurate name.
McDowell, Co Cavan, Co Monaghan-NSW
Davidson, Co Down-NSW
Hayes, Co Tipperary-Vic, NSW
Hayes, Co Wexford-NSW
Kennedy, Co Tipperary-Vic, NSW
McAlary, McIlhinney, Keilt, McNichol, Shannon Co Derry-Vic, NSW
Rochester, Sussex-NSW
Matthews, Kent-NSW
Lyons/Hynes Co Kildare-NSW
Grimes, Lancashire-NSW
Hall, Essex/London-NSW
Seath, Kent-NSW
Long, Woolwich-NSW
Meyer, Heist, Germany-Vic
Goldsmith, Gordon, Wall, Co Wexford-Vic,NSW
Fraser, Hassard, Fermanagh, St Helens, Lancashire-Vic

Offline wjdavidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 June 15 04:09 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to anniebelle and hallmark. The McDowell and Burling connection is all new to me.

I'm hoping to resolve the Alice/Mary/Elizabeth/Bessie question. My oral family history about "Lady" Alice Warburton and her Lord Warburton forebear seems improbable. But often these family stories start from a grain of truth. 

I'm unfamiliar with the available sources. Is it possible to simply ask PRONI for William Warburton's birth certificate?

Re. "on furlough from China."  My great-uncle, Robert John Davidson and three of his brothers were Quaker missionaries in Sichuan for most of their adult lives.

Offline anniebelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 June 15 06:02 BST (UK) »
News of Mary Ann and Eleanor Davidson having brothers has been news to me - and very welcomed! Thanks for posting the information. I note that you mentioned that William Warburton was born in April, 1830.  This was prior to Civil Registration of BDMs in Ireland, so cannot get a Cert from PRONI. Death Certificates are not that informative in Ireland.  I think the only thing would be to look for Parish Registers in Gilford, Co Down about the period the Davidsons were born.  Hopefully some are available - this would need to be researched. At least we have a good idea of the religious denomination that belonged to which will be of some hope.
I shall start looking and shall post any findings.  Perhaps you may like to look as well as looking up Irish records can be a bit tricky when I live in Australia.
Davidson, Co Down-NSW
Hayes, Co Wexford-NSW
Rochester, Sussex-NSW
Matthews, Kent-NSW
Grimes, Lancashire-NSW
Hall, Essex/London-NSW
Seath, Kent-NSW
Long, Woolwich-NSW

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 June 15 08:03 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline anniebelle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 01:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey for the link.  I shall start searching
Davidson, Co Down-NSW
Hayes, Co Wexford-NSW
Rochester, Sussex-NSW
Matthews, Kent-NSW
Grimes, Lancashire-NSW
Hall, Essex/London-NSW
Seath, Kent-NSW
Long, Woolwich-NSW

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 07:51 BST (UK) »
Chapelizod Church, Dublin

John Warburton junior born the 14 day of June 1768 in the Parish of St Thomas Dublin Died at Island Bridge on Sunday the of Iune 178-, and was buried in this Church Yard near this Monument.

Also is interred here the remains of John Warburton, Esq» the father, who died on the 27 of May 1809.

Here lieth the remains of William Warburton, Esq r son of the last named John Warburton, late of Marlboro Street Dublin and of Guildford in the County of Down, who died on the 10 th of December 1820 Aged [?] 51 years.
---------------------------------

On a flat slab, lying near the edge of the path at the south side of the church chancel, is a long inscription now almost indecipherable, as it is much worn, and was originally only lightly incised ; it reads ' : —

Sacred to the Memory of Anne Catiiekin Waeburton Only Daughter of the Revd Edward Mores[ ]
of Walthamstow in Essex, and Rector of Tunstal in Kent for near thirty years, late wife of John Warburton of Charlemount Street in the City of Dublin. Only son of Iohn Warburton Esqr . Somerset
Herald at [sic] Arms, Fellow of the Royal and Antiquarian Societies of London.

She departed this mortal life on Sunday the twenty-fourth Day of Sept r . 1791.
After suffering a most tedious and painfull Illnefs which she bore with Christian fortitude, Patience
and Resignation, and Died in hope of happiness in the mercy of the Almighty.

This stone was by her disconsolate Children in Memory of her the most tender Prudent and best of Mothers, examplary for all the D . . . humble devout and a Zealous Christian.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 10:28 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to anniebelle and hallmark. The McDowell and Burling connection is all new to me.

I'm hoping to resolve the Alice/Mary/Elizabeth/Bessie question. My oral family history about "Lady" Alice Warburton and her Lord Warburton forebear seems improbable. But often these family stories start from a grain of truth. 

I'm unfamiliar with the available sources. Is it possible to simply ask PRONI for William Warburton's birth certificate?

Re. "on furlough from China."  My great-uncle, Robert John Davidson and three of his brothers were Quaker missionaries in Sichuan for most of their adult lives.

John Warburton of Charlemount Street in the City of Dublin was the only son of Iohn Warburton Esqr . Somerset

Herald at [sic] Arms, Fellow of the Royal and Antiquarian Societies of London.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 11:30 BST (UK) »
http://www.readings.com.au/products/9039274/a-catalogue-of-the-very-singular-heraldical-library-of-the-late-john-warburton-esq-somerset-herald-at-arms-which-will-be-sold-by-auction-by-mr-king-junr-on-friday-july-5-1799

================

A Catalogue of the Very Singular Heraldical Library of the Late John Warburton, Esq. Somerset Herald at Arms

Format   Paperback
    Publisher   Gale Ecco, Print Editions
    Country  United States
    Published  28 May 2010
    Pages  28
    ISBN  9781170661840