Author Topic: CORNWELL from Bottisham  (Read 62156 times)

Offline mig

• RootsChat Extra
  • great aunt Annie
    • View Profile
Re: CORNWELL from Bottisham
« Reply #27 on: Monday 21 April 08 16:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry Carolyn,

my information on people other then Philip and his direct line is very very limited. The only William I know of is the one you mention plus Philip's own son william baptised 1831.

Don't give up, you'll get there. Information can come out of the blue when you least expect it.

Mig
Beckley, Timmins - Worsley, Widnes
Brellisford, Brown- Cefn Mawr, Llangollen
Browning Bull - Bath, Newport
Cornwell, Rayment  - Bottisham, West Hartlepool
Mussom, Skinner - Wolverhampton.
Sargent, Hatch - Cornwall, Runcorn, Rosyth
Seymour  - Wolverhampton, Runcorn, Rosyth
Watson, Calvert - Norton, Roxby
Williams, Davies- Bryn Mawr, Llanelly, S Wales

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 02 May 08 17:44 BST (UK) »
Carolyn,

There's a Mary Anne Cornwell who is the daughter of William Cornwell and Ann Arber who married a William Orslar on 30 December 1816 in Bottisham. The IGI for this is batch number M134102. Could this be the Ann Osler who was a witness on your Isaac and Rebecca's marriage certificate, or possibly her daughter? If your Isaac was the son of William Cornwell and Ann Arber that would make Mary Ann Orsler Isaac's sister.

Offline CAROLYNDERRY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 02 May 08 18:21 BST (UK) »
i have done quite a lot of research myself and have found some definite relationships of the people you mentioned. i can pass on these to you if you want them

carolyn

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 02 May 08 18:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Carolyn, but they're not my ancestors, I found them in passing through, as it were!

Offline Aniseed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 30 March 09 23:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Carolyn, but they're not my ancestors, I found them in passing, as it were!

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 19:45 BST (UK) »
Having found, as I expected several links to my mother's family, Ayres/ Cornwell/ Rayment/Arber in one quick scan of this posting, and having started some other postings particularly regarding Ayres/Cornwell etc in Bottisham I am considering when the transcription of the Bottisham register has been completed by Cambridge FHS an attempt on trying to produce trees for the commoner surnames in the village from this transcription. Probably like climbing Everest without oxygen only harder!! One or two observations: There are medieval records for Bottisham from before the parish registers, certainly worth a look to see how far back surnames can be traced!,But probably impossible to link. There are many variants of the surname Cornwell, but I was not aware of Cornwall, if this is correct, then the name is ancient! One a more recent note, Jack Cornwell the WW1 VC was the first cousin of Samuel Ayres (my maternal grandfather) through his mother, Elizabeth Cornwell who married James Ayres at Newmarket Q4 1867, Just in time as my grandfather was bFeb 1868.So well worth looking at Newmarket.I believe there are at least twelve interconnected surnames in a great intermarrying spiral.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Mayville

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 17:45 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Carolyn,
Just read your thread regarding the cornwells of 2008/9 and wonder if you are still pursuing this investigation.
I am David Cornwells grand daughter , second son of George Cornwell and I personally knew George and several of the brothers and sisters. I am 79 . I do have a photograph of George somewhere in my mothers old albums (she died in 2007 aged 100) . George was well into his 90's when he died and at that time was living with Lily and Morley (real name Frank Morley one of the brothers) at "Shanklin", High st, Bottisham). I spent time with him, as most of our holidays when I was little
was in Bottisham and Newmarket.
Perhaps we can learn from each other.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Jean Sharp.   

Offline arthur1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 all of you Cornwell researchers, does any one have a Elisheba in their family tree born 16th Feb 1834, she married William Webb in 1856 they are my gt gt grandad and gt gt grandmother.

Paul Webb
Bottisham/Lode, Australia Webbs

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 09 March 12 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have Elisheba Cornwell in my tree; she was one of 10 children of William Cornwell (1789-1875) and Alice (b1801), and had 7 brothers and 2 sisters. I can take the line back to William Cornwell (b1725) and Elizabeth Holmes (b c1725).Though I was unaware of this Webb connection I have a William Webb, husband of Ann Richardson (married c 1769) the parents of Susannah Webb  (b1771) who was one (or is it 2?) of my 3XGGrand mothers. Please send me a pm and I will do my best to supply any information you need.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)