Author Topic: MORDECAI or MORT  (Read 7704 times)

Offline yogibear

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MORDECAI or MORT
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 January 08 20:24 GMT (UK) »
HI THIS IS A LONG SHOT . DONT SUPPOSE ANY ONE KNOWS OF A MIRANDA MORT WHO MARRIED A CECIL WRIGHT IN NEATH AROUND 1920-1940?

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 January 08 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, as far as I am aware, Miranda is not related to my tree.  You could try the contact for the one name study link given above.  She is contacted by quite a few researchers and updates her tree with info from decendants.  Worth a shot. 

Also the complete index on Ancestry, as far as I am aware,  can be searched for free for possible marriage, but can be very time consuming, if you dont know when.

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

Good luck

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 January 08 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help.
With a name like Leyshon MORDECAI, we can't rule out a Mordecai LEYSHON during a period of Welsh name anglicization. However, this name change doesn't help the cause.

Regards,
Mark

Offline Anniemort

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 August 08 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Mark
I am connected(by marriage) to the Mort/Moredcai dynasty and  I am trying to link Hopkin Mordecai to my tree somehow.  I was sent an ancestral tree about almost a year ago by Caryl Jones and I have added much to that but I can't  seem to connect Hopkin Mordecai.  Maybe you can help me or I may have to get back to Caryl.
Out of interest one of our children now lives in Japan with his Japanese wife and there will be a baby Mort in Tokyo when the cherry blossom is in flower next Spring!!
Best wishes
Annie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie -
Saw you sent me an email to my home address. Could you kindly resend? I will get back to you.
Regards,
Mark

Offline Anniemort

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Just re- sent my mail to your home address.

Best wishes Annie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 December 17 09:19 GMT (UK) »
I now have a proven paper trail and atDNA match to two children of my 6xGGPs Hopkin MORDECAI / MORDECAY aka MORT & his wife Ruth of Glamorgan.
As this is a unique match, no other related MORDECAI descendants have done an atDNA test (Ancestry tree and DNA), however it does provide a helpful matching point for any other tester who thinks they may be related. I would be pleased to hear from anyone who has atDNA results to share. As a small concentrated population, it is assumed that there is a common C17th/C18th relationship. I have continued to collect all references in the hope DNA may provide the connection.
For those interested in atDNA stats, the match was at the 7C level on paper, proven by 12.3 cM of shared DNA.
I updated my research page earlier today - http://creativegraces.net/genindex/mordecai.html
The family can also be discussed via my research blog - https://www.facebook.com/BristolBranches/

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 December 17 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Good luck with the DNA endeavour/matches, Masgrace.  Personally, I find it all confusing and difficult to understand.  :-\

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 December 17 10:29 GMT (UK) »
If you've tested and a Glamorgan MORDECAI or MORT by descent, happy to help. If you are not on Ancestry (say tested with FTDNA or another company) then results are compared by uploading to GEDmatch. Then all I need is your kit number.
We're all still learning, but examples like this are showing that it works and can help.
Good luck to you too.