Author Topic: Flask Lane, Pimlico flattened for Victoria Station?  (Read 5646 times)

Offline jannorth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Flask Lane, Pimlico flattened for Victoria Station?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 16 March 08 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Chris,

Thanks for your kind offer, that would be great.  I am currently on a ship heading for India (I work on a cruise line) so don't get many opportunities to do research. 

Jan
Prater, North and Cochrane in the Kent, Middlesex and London area. 
Wood, Inglis and Dougald in the Aryshire and Lanarkshire area.

Offline anngreenfield

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information as to the rehousing of families that lived on Flask Lane @ 1860.  From what I can find out the lane was leveled forthe expansion of Victoria station.  Was there something else that happened to Flask Lane first ie flood that destroyed all the houses or were they repossessed for the expansion and if so are there records of where the families were rehoused?  My distant relatives were at number 13 Flask Lane in 1851 census.

I am in the process of researching my husbands ancestors who also lived at 13 Flask Lane. One ancestor died there in 1860 but later his widow is found living elsewhere. I also obtained a copy of a picture of The Flask Tavern when I visited the Westminster Archives recently The picture is dated 1883.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 18:18 BST (UK) »
By using Google I was able to get some old maps and a few snippets of info on new buildings that had been erected in the location but have not found any definitive information as to exactly what happened.  I believe that all the census records for around that time in the Pimlico area were also lost which does not help.

Regards

Jan

Flask Lane did not disappear with the building of Victoria Station. This 1861 map shows the newly station and Flask Lane to the south west http://www.mapco.net/cross1861/cross37.htm

Flask Lane does not appear on this 1864 map (now called Little Ebury St?)   http://london1864.com/stanford44b.htm

Flask Lane appears on this 1868 map but not in the same location as the 1861 map  http://london1868.com/weller52b.htm

Still checking newspaper mentions of Flask Lane around this period

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
My police years were spent between Victoria and Ebury and I wasn't aware of Flask Lane at all. I shall have to do some research.  I thought I'd walked Ebury(!) street in that area, and even knew about the long-lost ones.

Martin

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 20:27 BST (UK) »
This map shows the area in 1951 https://maps.nls.uk/view/103029615

Flask Lane (the 1868 map location) now part of Victoria Coach Station building.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 20:49 BST (UK) »
Checking the National Archives "Flask Lane, in the City of Westminster" was the subject of a "stopping up order" dated 5 May 1966.

I googled "stopping up orders" for an explanation.