Author Topic: RC cemeteries Clydebank area  (Read 30390 times)

Offline kate57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RC cemeteries Clydebank area
« on: Tuesday 08 January 08 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where a Roman Catholic is likely to be buried if place of death was Blythswood View Clydebank in Jan 1909?. The family was Irish. I can't find Blythswood View,it is probably long gone. The family never strayed far from Glasgow Rd as my grandfather worked in the shipyards. Or maybe someone may know which RC parish or chapel a family in that area would be a member of?
Thank you for any light on the subject
Catherine
Deery from Eglinton and Claudy. Co. Derry
Doherty from Eglinton and Benduff near Carndonagh,Donegal
Logan/Maguire from Rathfure Co Fermanagh and Co Cavan
Logan-/Greer Clydebank and Glasgow. New York/New Jersey
Connolly-from Carrick County Tyrone to Glasgow and USA (New York and California)

Offline elizabeth.m

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: RC cemeteries Clydebank area
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 13:30 GMT (UK) »
There were three Catholic churches in the Clydebank area in 1909.  St Mary's Duntocher was opened in 1841, Our Holy Redeemetr's in 1888 and St Stepehn's Dalmuir in 1907.  If they worked in the Shipyard and lived around Glasgow Road it would more likely be OHR as it is on Glasgow Road.  There is no Catholic cemetary around the Clydebank area, and Catholics were buried along side other denominations.  The priest normally consecrated the ground before the body was place in the grave.  You could try telephoning Clydebank council cemetaries on 0141 567 2310, they should be able to help.  OHR's telephone number is 0141 952 9508 and their e-mail is parishpriest@msn.com.  All the Catholic parish records are held in the National Archives in Edinburgh and they will photocopy and post out if you can not go in person.
McQuade-Monaghan/Dumbarton, Lynn-Co Tyrone/Stirling/Dumbarton/Glasgow, McSporran-Campbelltown/Glasgow/Renton/Dumbarton,  Smith, Madden-Antrim/Dumbarton, McFarlane-Roseneath, Barr-Buncranna/Derry/Dumbarton

Offline kate57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: RC cemeteries Clydebank area COMPLETED
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 08 21:17 GMT (UK) »
thank you for so much info. It is exactly what I needed. I appreciate your help.
Connolly-from Carrick County Tyrone to Glasgow and USA (New York and California)

Offline soulcomputers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 January 08 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know where a Roman Catholic is likely to be buried if place of death was Blythswood View Clydebank in Jan 1909?. The family was Irish. I can't find Blythswood View,it is probably long gone. The family never strayed far from Glasgow Rd as my grandfather worked in the shipyards. Or maybe someone may know which RC parish or chapel a family in that area would be a member of?
Thank you for any light on the subject
Catherine

Interesting, which name are you researching because I also came across the exact same address and couldn't locate it (hence finding your post here)? I'm looking at Sweeney and Gray that both also came over from Ireland. Not that I can find out where, they never said on any of the documents I've found so far.
Sweeney, Gray, McKinnon, Ward, McGinnis, Docherty from Ireland
Sweeney, Gray, McKinnon in Clydebank, Glasgow (from Ireland)
Miller, Burns, Scougall in Scotland
Any Millers currently living in Helensburgh.

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 January 08 00:52 GMT (UK) »
And yet another Blythswood View!!  My Grandmother was born there in 1907.  Her parents came from Rathmelton Donegal sometime after 1900.   
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline kate57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 January 08 03:29 GMT (UK) »
I don't know where Blythswood View was but I am guessing it was very near Glasgow Rd.  My grandfather Daniel Logan worked in the shipyards and lived at 6 Napier St in 1902, John Knox St 30, 32 and 35 between 1903 and 1907
At 23 Blythswood in 1909 when his wife Ellen Greer died in 1909. There is also a connction to a Doran family at 11 Blythswood View in 1915. Looking at Mapquest all the addresses are within a very small area. Only Blythswood is missing but Clydebank has had so many redevelopments, clearing of sub standard housing and the blitz of course it is not surprising it is gone.

Offline soulcomputers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 January 08 10:38 GMT (UK) »
And yet another Blythswood View!!  My Grandmother was born there in 1907.  Her parents came from Rathmelton Donegal sometime after 1900.   

What was her surname?

Offline soulcomputers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 January 08 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I don't know where Blythswood View was but I am guessing it was very near Glasgow Rd.  My grandfather Daniel Logan worked in the shipyards and lived at 6 Napier St in 1902, John Knox St 30, 32 and 35 between 1903 and 1907
At 23 Blythswood in 1909 when his wife Ellen Greer died in 1909. There is also a connction to a Doran family at 11 Blythswood View in 1915. Looking at Mapquest all the addresses are within a very small area. Only Blythswood is missing but Clydebank has had so many redevelopments, clearing of sub standard housing and the blitz of course it is not surprising it is gone.

Interesting, my lot (Sweeney - her maiden name Ward, both from Ireland, and 5 kids all from Ireland too, just can't find out where!) all lived at number 23 as well, they are on the 1901 Census. I agree it was probably near Glasgow Road. It must have been a big place, presumably with lots of flats or something because there are a lot of families shown at the same address. Most of my lot were working in the shipyards. One of them (my Mum's Granddad) then married another Irish girl, a Grey (after he moved up the road to William Street and she was living on the same road working in Duntocher Mill) and he worked on the Queen Mary ship but his brother was killed in an accident in the shipyard when a rowing boat got turned over (I have an article from the Scotsman which describes it all). Anyway, I digress! It's such an interesting hobby this. I just wish I'd started before my own Granddad died.

My Mum was born in Clydebank in 1938 and remembers the blitz very well indeed, despite being so young (she lived across from the Singer factory which was heavily bombed). She's 70 next week ! She now lives further North in Scotland and I'll be going through Glasgow to get there. I would like to go and look around the area but don't think we'll have enough time.

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 January 08 11:19 GMT (UK) »

What was her surname?

Her name was Dunn.  Her mothers maiden name was Peoples
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings