Author Topic: RC cemeteries Clydebank area  (Read 30399 times)

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: RC cemeteries Clydebank area
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 November 08 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Following this with interest, as I think I previously said my grandmother was born 9 Blythswood View. (1907).  Now I always knew her mother died at 51 Clyde st,(in 1924) but just thought  they had moved.

So trotted off to Gt Grandpas WW1 records. and he enlisted  5 Blythswood view Sept.1914   and was demobilised 51 Clyde St. January 1919.

Sooo-- if this was the same house, or street, name change occured during wartime.
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline seekthem

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 08 August 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Tootsiepie - helping my friend search for her Irish Great grandparents Murray and came across your entry.

We are trying to find out where they disappeared to as my friends grandmother Julia Murray
was brought up by her Aunt and Uncle from age 3 to 17 till her marriage.

Julia Murray is on the 1901 census age 3 born Ireland niece to Robert Bowie and Jeanie in Old Kilpatrick.
1911 census age 14 with aunt and uncle and your grandmother Mary Ann Dunn age 3 in Johnstone
I then searched for Mary Anns' birth to see what the connection was and could then tie up
Jeanie and Susan Peoples/Peebles as sisters. Mary Anns' birth cert confirmed the area in Ireland
was Rathmelton.
Julia Murray married age 17 in Johnstone to James Muir and her parents are listed as John Murray and Kathleen Peebles (doesn't mention deceased)
Found on the 1901 census Mary Ann's mum visiting her mum in Castle St, Rathmelton. her mum Sara states married but Abb?Ebb? her husband not there though there is a son John
On 1911 Irish Census Sarah is now widowed living were her unmarried son John.  It states she had
5 living children.

Offline seekthem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 08 August 11 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi again Tootsiepie - clicked before I could ask if you have any info re Julias parents (have searched Irish census incase they stayed there) and Scotlandspeople for deaths, nothing.  Also do you know any more information on Ebb James Peoples and Sarah Paton.
Thanks again
Liz

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 08 August 11 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz, This is weird , I was looking at your Verner query last night  ;D  .  Looking at maps of Drybridge,Dundonald etc.  nearness  of Ferry route to Larne and the fact that there are loads of Irish Verners on G.V.

Anyway, back to Peoples/Peebles etc..   I've got a few bits and pieces, and will look them out, but in the meantime, here's what I can find quickly.

So far I can see that an Annie Murray was witness to Susan Peoples and Henry(Hugh)Dunns marriage in Rathmelton on 21.07.1900.

Henry was in Army and as their first child Henry Hugh was born 19.08.1901, I don't think Susan had actually left Ireland by the time of the 1901census.

Kathleen was Catherine b. 1866 I presume?  Jane or Jeanie I think was baptised as Joanna 24.01.1875, and she was married 09.01.1900 Rathmelton. Witnesses - John Murray and Cassie Murray. (Peoples?)

Abby and Sarah were married   05.12.1862 -Abby James' father was John Peoples,Labourer. Abby was full age when
married, i.e. over 21.and he was a blacksmith to trade. Sarahs' father
was Michael Patton, Butcher. She was aged 20.
Witnesses were David Jacob, and Samuel Morrison.

I have a possible birth for Ebby , but will send you the original communication I had with the OLD donfam genealogy site. (when I locate it  ;)  )   I received the info quite a few yrs ago and the site is now defunct.  It is only a transcription, not originals.

Now that so many new resources are online, I may  try and find Ebbys death again..  I don't know where he was on 1901 census, but suspect deid!!! Sarah maybe still considered herself as married as opposed to being a spinster, or even didn't understand form properly.  I really don't know though.

Do you think  Cassie Murray (witness at Janes wedding) was Kathleen Peoples?  if so , she was still in Ireland 1900.   

I'm off to do a bit of digging  ::)

edit---sorry, I just realised it wasn't your Verner query.

Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland

And others

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 08 August 11 23:11 BST (UK) »
I see a Catherine Murray of the right age group in Old Kilpatrick in 1901 census.    John is another name in household.

Just downloaded this entry, and they are born Scotland, so backt to drawing board)

I also meant to say that Abby and Sarah were married in Ist Presbyterian Church Ramelton, so had turned Catholic by 1875.(when Joanna was baptised)

And others

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 August 11 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again,   The 5th child of Sarah was Thomas b. 1870  Rathmelton, and just found his Marriage cert to a Jane Kidd in 1896.  (Ebi/ Aby) James Peebles , blacksmith,was deceased. So this gives us a timeline to look for his death. between birth of Joanna 1875 and 1896, under one of his many name combinations.

edited

John Murray and Catherine Peoples were married  in Augnish RC  in 1885 (Brs genealogy search). Have not downloaded it for further details yet.

And others

Offline seekthem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Tootsiepie - thanks for all that wonderful information (my apologies for not having any info to exchange)  You will have to give me lessons on Irish searching, can't believe the info you have passed.
After my last posting I discovered on SP Julia Murray had a sister Susan c 1900 also brought up by Robert and Jeanie Bowie.  She married  Peter V Graham in 1918 and witnessed by a Janet Peebles!
Then searched for Mary Anns marriage on SP, which I am sure you will have, to find that she married
Owen Donnelly in 1926 and had resided with the Bowies also.  So it seems at some point the Bowies brought up Julia, Susan and Mary Ann.  How interesting.
My friend thinks she was told somewhere that Julia and Susans mother Kathleen/Catherine may have died in childbirth along with the child.
Thanks again for your time.  I would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction to where to find the information you posted.  I have obviously no clue on how to search for the Irish side of things.  Scotlandspeople and Family search are my limits - will have to go to genealogy school me thinks!
Liz

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I am one of Mary Ann Dunn and Owens Donnellys many grandchildren.  I don't remember him, as he died when I was young, but I do remember Mary  ;D.  She didn't die until 1991.

I knew I recognised the name Peter Graham and see he was a witness on Mary Anns marriage cert.

Re-the Bowies bringing up Mary .   I'm not sure abt that.   I know she was with them in the census, but wonder if it was because her mother Susan was expecting another brother for Mary,  i.e. Abby J Peebles Dunn b. 17.10.1911.

I know Susan died in 1924, Clydebank, but I was led to believe by my own mother that Mary only went to Johnstone permanently after Susan died, because Henry Dunn often worked away.  However,  that could well be wrong, as I've found many family stories have been distorted over time.   (my mum did not believe me when I told her she was descended from a Presbyterian, and of course I had to keep bringing it up didn't I  ;D )

Re- records.... where do I start.    I got bits and pieces from a lot of places.   'OLD' Donfam, Irish record office, LDS, War records of Hugh Dunn gave his wifes name , d.o.b. of children and where born, and so it goes on. I will send you by P.M. the probable baptism entry for Abby.    http://donegal.rootsireland.ie/    has a lot of records online, inc. Abbeys marriage, but watch the spelling.  (Abbey Peoples)) I was beginning to think it wasn't on there last night. 

I have got to go just now but will get some stuff to you later, or tomorrow morning.

P.S. this search isn't for Maureen Murray is it?

And others

Offline seekthem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Tootsiepie,  Misled you re Mary Ann living with her Aunt and Uncle.  I didn't mean since she was three. My friend was also told when Mary Ann mother died she went to Johnstone.  Sorry, dont know Maureen Murray but you two must be related to my friend.
Thanks again will pm you with my e-mail.
Liz