Author Topic: RC cemeteries Clydebank area  (Read 30340 times)

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: RC cemeteries Clydebank area
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 09 August 11 20:50 BST (UK) »
E-mail sent  :)
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline tamgallagher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 16 October 11 17:40 BST (UK) »
Just recently come across this post. I was born and brought up in East Clyde St, formerly 11, Blythswood View. It was just along from Our Holy Redeemer's school [O.H.R.], and just around the corner from O.H.R. chapel, Glasgow Rd. The street was always known locally as 'The View'. I always assumed this was because of the view we had of the docks and the green fields on the other side of the river Clyde. It wasn't until relatively recently that I found out that the street was renamed, and that the 'The View' referred to the old street name. I believe, also, that the area across the river was known as Blythswood, hence the name. We lived there until 1962, and the street was demolished shortly after [1962 or 63].
Incidentally, can anyone tell me how I can access the 1911 census records of 11, Blythswood View? I have tried to do so on the 'Scotland's People' website
but it does  not give access to street searches, only to name searches.
My great grandfather lived there up until his death in 1920, [ he moved there sometime after the 1911 census from 33, John Knox St] and our family lived there up until 1962 as earlier stated.
I am curious to find out if there was just a change of name for the street, or was the original street demolished and rebuilt as East Clyde St, and I hope that if I can access the records for No 11 Blythswood, I would be able to determine if it was the same building from the information provided.
Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.
Clydebank/ Dunbartonshire, South Knapsdale/Argyll,
Moville, Clonmany, Derry.
Gallagher,McLaughlin,McCorkell,McLean,Hamilton.

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 16 October 11 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi, If you search for - Hugh Dunn 1911 census, aged 35. Dunbarton (Old or West Kilpatrick).   This takes you to mainly 9 Blythswood View, but the last entry on the page is no 11.  Therefore if you click the ''next image or page after'' button you should get a few more entries for 11 Blythswood view. (though it will cost you 5 credits for every page viewed.)

John and Winifred McBride, with a Patrick Brogan were the entries for no 11 on my page.

The name change occured during WW1, and East Clyde view was demolished 1962 ish , so houses would have been up only 50 odd yrs (if they were new houses)... I'm tending to think they were the same old houses, maybe renumbered, if additional housing was built nearby.   Maybe Dunbartonshire fell out with Glasgow , hence the name change  ;D
Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline tamgallagher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 16 October 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I'll try that. Appreciate your help.

Offline tamgallagher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 16 October 11 20:10 BST (UK) »
Can confirm it was the same houses. I know this from the number of homes at number11, and also the number of single room homes [single ends ], and the sequence they come in. Thanks again.

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 31 December 11 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kate, my great grandparents William & Emily Murray lived at 6 Napier Street during the 1891 Census.  I wonder if it was a tenement building?
Helen
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline MMcD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 21 June 17 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Sorry to bring up an old thread.  I am the great great grandson of Abby/Ebbi Peoples and Sarah Patton of Ramelton.  Their first son Samuel(born in Scotland) is my great grandfather.

I have found records of him called Edward, James, Abraham, Ebby, Abby, Ebi etc.  Quite the mystery.  It appears he moved to the USA pre 1875, I cannot say for sure though.  His location is listed as such on the birth record of Jane(Joanna) Peoples, born in this year.

Anyone have any info on this, would be good to hear it.  Especially the birth record for Abby.  I cannot find any death record either.

Offline myyran

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 24 June 17 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate 57,  there are two Cemeteries in and around Clydebank.  Kilbowie  in Montrose street,  opened in 1897.  Dalnottar opened in 1911.There is also one Dumbarton.  The cemeteries held graves for Catholics in the consecrated sections.   There is also a New Dalnottar cemetery and crematorium opened in the late 60s/70s.
Stevenson,Wright,  Antrim, Armagh.
McGowan,McGregor, Wright, Alexandria.   Grattan, McCauley. Ireland

Offline bankie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 09 July 17 15:47 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to the old maps of Clydebank which should give you an idea where Blythswood view was, as you can see the Blythswood light is on the other side of the Clyde opposite Clyde st.

Hope its of interest.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/75661881

joe
Scotland, Donegal, Maybole, New Zealand, USA