Author Topic: MASON/HUDSON Dingle  (Read 9621 times)

Offline heloco

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MASON/HUDSON Dingle
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 June 08 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My Hudson ancestors were connected to the family of Dr. Robert Hudson of Dingle/Tralee. Although I don't have information relating to the origin of his son's middle name of Huggard, I have the following information on the family which may help further your research:

In 1921 Gortmore House (where my great-great-grandmother Johanna Hudson was married in 1847) was left to the the Bon Secours order by Maria Hudson, widow of Robert Hudson (relationship to Johanna unknown), when she and her daughter Roberta moved to Dublin. Robert, who was a medical doctor with a practice in Dingle prior to his retirement, had died in 1917. In Dublin Maria lived at "Thorndene" in Monkstown. In about 1926 her son Richard Huggard Hudson who had a solicitor's practice in Tralee, married Margaret Dawson, only daughter of Albert Dawson and his wife who lived at 20 Montpelier Terrace, Hyde Park, Leeds. In 1935 another son, W. O. Hudson married Nina Matchette, daughter of Rev. W. Matchette of Rathvilly, Co. Carlow. Maria and Robert had another son, Robert Charles, who died during World War I aged 27. He had been living in Canada and is buried in Hamilton Cemetery in Ontario, Canada. Roberta (Robert and Maria's daughter) died in 1930 and Maria herself died in 1955 aged 101.

Another Hudson descendent, Bill Hudson in Florida, has done extensive research into the Hudson family and has donated copies of the results to Tralee and Listowel libraries, including a volume entitled "The Hudsons of Tralee" which I'm sure would have a lot more information although I'm not sure it would extend to the Mason (and Huggard?) families.

All the best,

Helen

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 June 08 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

Thank you very much for this - will be really helpful in adding pieces to my jigsaw!  I have sent you a pm with my email address

Jaylay
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
LEYDEN - Ahamlish, Sligo/Down/Belfast
MAGUIRE/MCGUIRE - Ardglass, Co. Down
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline maryhj

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 20:40 BST (UK) »
hi there,
my name is mary huggard and I am from kerry, but guess what, even i can not unravel the whole thing.  What i do now is that they are all related.  We are decendants of a Mr DeHugard who had to flee from France during the revolution.

I would think that the families got seperated by religion, things in Ireland were very compliciated in the 19th century.   I have no idea how ny grandfather John ended up where I am now or who's son he was.  We think he was born James John to a Thomas Huggard for Clahane, Who's father was Richard,  The lady who gave u the information on the mason hudson marrriage, the Huggard in that story seems to be the grandmother of Thomas Emmet, a great Irishma,