Author Topic: parish records, Bapton, Wilts  (Read 2842 times)

Offline robbyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
parish records, Bapton, Wilts
« on: Tuesday 04 January 05 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi l wonder if someone could help me over a brick wall?
My gggrandfather was George NASH/NAISH he was born c1821 in Bapton, Wilts and joined the 61st regiment of foot when he was 17, he was in India untill the late 1850`s, he married Miriam BARTER in Wylye in 1860 and they had several children, my problem is l can`t get any further back than George, on his marriage cert his father is James but he signs his surname NAISH, sorry to go on!.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated.
Kind Regards
Robert

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: parish records, Bapton, Wilts
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 January 05 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert,

Bapton does not seem to have been a separate parish when your George was born.  The 1851 census includes it in the same piece as Wylye and Fisherton Delamere.  I have looked through the transcription for this area - found Miriam aged 13 with her parents.  There are lots of NAISH families in the area, but none spelt NASH.   

Do you know James Naish's occupation?  Was he still alive when George married?  I have found several James Na(i)sh in 1851 of the right sort of age who could be George's father - in Salisbury, Enford, Great Cheverell, Urchfont.

George and Miriam turn up in New Sarum in 1871.(RG10/1954/15 p22)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robbyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nell

Thanks for your help, l have the marriage certificate for George and Miriam`s marriage and George`s father James is one of the witness`s he signs his name NAISH and he is recorded as being a Labourer the other witness was Julia l can`t make out surname looks like jayw???.  also where it says on the certificate "residence at time of marriage" it says Wylye?.

Thats all the info l have.

Would l be asking to much for the details you found on Miriam Barter in Fisherton?

Kind Regards
Robert Salisbury
West Sussex

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Not asking too much at all.  Details from a transcription so not all information that you might wishe for is necessarily there.  However, I think it relatively safe to assume that James and Sarah were Miriam's parents.

HO107/1848/173 p 21
schedule 89
BARTER James 38 Ag. Lab. b Wylye, Wilts.
Sarah 36 b Fisherton delamere
Miriam 13 b Scholar Fisherton delamere
John 12 Ag. Lab. b South newton
Robert 10 b Wylye, Wilts.
Mary 8 b Wylye, Wilts.
Elizabeth 6 b Wylye, Wilts.
Louisa 3 b Wylye, Wilts.

According to the Familysearch site, Miriam was born 6 Aug 1837.  This is from 2 member submitted records, therefore they should be carefully checked.  However, one of them lists Miriam's parents as James Barter and Sarah Naish.  Worth further investigation, I think.
 ;)
Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline robbyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the info, the info is right, l have Miriams birth cert and lists mother as sarah nee Nash, strange that miriam went on to marry a Nash!.

Many many thanks

Robert