Author Topic: Barnsond? Irongray - completed  (Read 6201 times)

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Barnsond? Irongray
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 January 08 13:52 GMT (UK) »
That's great! Thanks :)

I found out about the railway. Irongray station was on the Cairn Valley light Railway, which was only in operation from about 1910 to 1949.

I will google Barnsoul

I have another couple of photos which may be around Irongray (they are all on the same page of an old photo album), probably taken late 1920's early 1930's.  I will post them, you never know, you may just recognise them.
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts
MARTIN - Dorset,Somerset;
PITTUCK/PITTOCK:-Suffolk.
WILSON;BARNEY;WINDES/WINDERS;ELLIS - Yorkshire;MARSTON;HALLAM - Notts;

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 January 08 14:20 GMT (UK) »
 :D :D :D I googled Barnsoul and what a bonus! Found and MI for the couple who lived there!
thanks again
BELL;TWEEDIE;PITTILLO/PATTILLO;WATSON;JOHNSTONE;PALMER;MOFFAT:DOBIE;BEATTIE:-Dumfrieshire<br />HYSLOP;MANSON;CURRIE;JAMIESON;BEATTIE:-Ayr<br />HOOKER;DYSON;SEABROOKE;DYER;DREWELL;STOCKWELL;CRIPPS;-London<br />DEVOS:London, Belguim
BENDALL-Bristol<br />WOODEN/WOODIN;JARRETT-Surrey<br />MURCH;HARRIS;POPE:-Devon QUARM-Devon,London,Anywhere<br />RUMBLE;HIBBERD;-Wilts

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 January 08 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear you found an MI for the couple.  Are they buried in Irongray Church Yard.  If you send me a PM I will see if I can get a photo of the grave stone.

The photo of the house could be the house at the old station but I will need to check that.

Betty

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 January 08 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Barnsoul can be found close to the centre of this map - a few miles WNW of Dumfries.

http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/os_scotland_popular_list.html
Sheet 88 - Dumfries

It is closer to Newtonairds Station than Irongray - both stations on the Dumfries and Moniaive branch of the LM&SR (London Midland & Scottish Railway).

ADP

Offline julieann1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 January 08 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, good map  :)

Offline fhp

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Barnsond? Irongray - completed
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 March 15 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Did you ever get any ID on the couple at Irongray Station House?  I have just located my grandmother's address book dated 1921, and she has an entry for Mr Alec Thomson, Station House, Iron-gray, Dumfries.   I was there yesterday and the house still stands but is very run down.
I am currently trying to find some info on James Gunning who was a gamekeeper and lived with his wife Elizabeth in Fourmerkland Cottage just along the road from the station.   She seems to have been widowed around 1915 and my father remembers staying with her on Glasgow road near the Cluden Bridge around 1940.   I located the spot yesterday but the house seems to have been replaced in the '70s.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Barnsond? Irongray - completed
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 April 15 16:31 BST (UK) »
Irongray must've been a reasonable settlement, I've found three or four ancestors born or living there - it looks interesting on the older maps.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)