Author Topic: 1851 Census lookup please, Gloucester, Somerset, North London  (Read 2875 times)

Offline ali.aitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1851 Census lookup please, Gloucester, Somerset, North London
« on: Tuesday 04 January 05 22:09 GMT (UK) »
My very first post!  Here goes -

I am seeking the whereabouts of John HORLOCK or HARLOCK in 1851.  I have him in Horsley, Glos in 1841 aged 17, (so b. 1824) a wool-worker.  Next in 1861 in Islington, Middx, aged 34, (so b. 1827) a marble mason.  In 1881 he's still in Islington but says he's 59, so born 1822.  Not good at maths, but always knows he was born in Gloucestershire.  In 1861 was was with wife Mary, nee JOHNSON, (from the birth cert of son Tom Sansom HORLOCK).  Mary was born in Somerset.  By 1872 he's living with Mary POOLE (from the birth cert of son William).  This Mary was also born in Somerset.  I cannot find either of the two marriages, nor a death of the first Mary, nor the birth of a first son names John after his father.  The two Marys could be one woman using both her maiden name and prior married name.  Mary is consistently ten years younger than John on census entries I have found.  John and Mary Johnson are my g-g-grandparents, I've been looking for their whereabouts between 1841 and 1861 for eleven years!  Any help would be so welcome.  Not that I'm desperate, or anything.  In case you're interested, John died as a result of falling down the stairs and fracturing his skull.  Fortunately, he was pissed at the time.  Thanks for reading - Alison
Horlock Gloucester/London
Applegate Norfolk/London
Sparrow London
Jaye London
Spillman London
Wood London

Offline LizStewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census lookup please, Gloucester, Somerset, North London
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 January 05 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison,
on the transcription of the 4 counties(Glos, Bristol, Somerset and Wiltshire) 1851, there is only one John Horlock aged 52, General Labourer, Horsley / Mn'champton (perhaps your man's father?) There is also a Henry aged 25, Cloth Worker Scourer, Horsley/Mn'champton. On GENUKI there is a full transcription of Minchinhampton 1851, but there is no name index.
On the falling down drunk side, my ancestor had the bad luck to fall down pub stairs (intoxicated) and died! What a bunch!
Liz

Offline ali.aitch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 January 05 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Liz - Thanks so much for looking.  You're right, the 52 year old John was my elusive John's father, and Henry was his younger brother.  I really don't know if my bloke was still in Gloucestershire but was mis-transcribed, or if he'd gone off to sow his wild oats elsewhere.  Probably the latter, but where ..?  I'll keep looking.  Thanks once again! - Alison
Horlock Gloucester/London
Applegate Norfolk/London
Sparrow London
Jaye London
Spillman London
Wood London

Offline Oldie

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 September 08 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thought this may be of some help. Thomas Sansom Horlock b. 1861 was the son of John Horlock b. 1824 who married Mary Johnson b. 1835  in Somerset also Jane Hart b. 1825.from Gloucester.

John Jnr Horlock b. 1824 was the son of John Horlock b. 1798 Horsley and Jane Sansom b. 1796 Horsley Gloucestershire.   Jane Sansom being my GGGGAunt.

Does that make sense.!!!!
Oldie

Offline Patricia1934

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 July 17 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison
I'm new to this, hence just finding this post!!
My Grandmother was Lilian Horlock, she married Raymond Leigh.
Her Horlocks came from Horsley and moved to the East end of London.
One of her brothers fell down the stairs....drunk.....must run in the family.
My Nan, Lilly was really into finding ancestors. Of course, she didn't have the resources we have now, but she did find out a lot. I have a book that she gave my Mum with her Ancestry searches.
I was really excited reading your first post on Roots search. I have Jayes in my Ancestry too, so we must be connected.
I'm on ancestry.com and wikitree
My email address is.     (*)
Would love to know how we are related and any more info you have.
Would love to hear from you
Regards, Leigh

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Patricia1934

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 July 17 05:38 BST (UK) »
Posting

Offline Patricia1934

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile