Author Topic: BLAIR andrew  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Kiwi downunder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BLAIR andrew
« on: Sunday 13 January 08 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Andrew BLAIR was born 6 Oct. 1822, Glasgow, Lanark Scotland. He married Jane WEIR 28 April !846. They had a son James born 22 May 1847, Gorbals, Lanark, Scotland.
Andrew left his wife and son a few years after James was born.
Andrew was the third son of James Blair (1789-1827)and Jean MacAuley (1794-?). James and Jean married 23 June 1817, Glasgow, Scotland.

Can anyone help us find Andrew? Also who were James's (1789) parents?
Edlin, - New Zealand, Leic

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: BLAIR andrew
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi I couldn't find Andrew on the 1881 census but possibly James and his mother at different addresses in Lanark. Let me know if you want the records

regards
Shirley
Perth WA
My Gt x 3 G/mother was Martha Murison nee Blair
Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey

Offline Mimbyjim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 June 10 06:53 BST (UK) »
Parents of James Blair (1788) probably James Blair and Christian Stevenson.     Andrew Blair divorced Jane Wier and she later married Frederick Renfree

Offline net1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have james blair and Christian stevenson in my tree can I be of any assistance

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 December 22 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Andrew Blair divorced Jane Wier and she later married Frederick Renfree
According to the marriage certificate of Frederick Renfree and Jane Weir, she was 'previously married to Andrew Blair, Mercantile clerk, from whom she obtained a divorce on 11th July 1877'. So it was she who divorced him, not he who divorced her.

Presumably she was able to divorce him for desertion, because he had left her over the prescribed number of years before 1877.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Mimbyjim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 December 22 06:05 GMT (UK) »
In the Scotland census 1851 Jean is staying with her mother Ellen (Helen) Weir  but  transcribed as Jane Blaw!  James Blair  aged 3 is with his mother and grandmother.

Offline Mimbyjim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 December 22 06:11 GMT (UK) »
1861 Scotland census Helen referred to as Helen Wirs  aged 73  mother! of James Blair instead of grandmother    correct birth place for Helen is Lochgoilhead   on the census

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 January 23 20:45 GMT (UK) »
In the Scotland census 1851 Jean is staying with her mother Ellen (Helen) Weir  but  transcribed as Jane Blaw!  James Blair  aged 3 is with his mother and grandmother.
According to the two separate transcriptions I am viewing Ellen Weir, 63, was born in Kilmorich, Argyll; her daughter is Jane Blair, 24, and her grandson is James Blair, 3. These agree with the index listings at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

1861 Scotland census Helen referred to as Helen Wirs  aged 73  mother! of James Blair instead of grandmother    correct birth place for Helen is Lochgoilhead   on the census
On both the transcriptions I am looking at, she is listed as Helen Weir, 73. This matches the index at Scotland's People.

Also she is recorded as mother of Jane, who is the head of the household, not of James, who is correctly listed as son of the head of the household, that is, the son of Jane.

Evidently you are relying on some dud rubbish transcription (Ancestry?).

There is no substitute for viewing the original documents at Scotland's People.

Lochgoilhead and Kilmorich is a parish in Argyll. Kilmorich is near the head of Loch Fyne.
See https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NN1810

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Mimbyjim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 January 23 23:44 GMT (UK) »
I did check in scotlands people but pointed out the errors from ancestry as so many people dont seem to look at the actual scotland census forms.  I knew I had the right people and can see why as on the handwritten form it does look like Blaw and Ellen!    The address was correctly shown in ancestry as 3 Brisbane Street.