Author Topic: William Olley  (Read 9988 times)

Offline pete th

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Olley
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Betty, this may be a bit late but I am co-writing a book on Irlam and Cadishead in WW1. I'm afraid I can't give you any information on William as he does not appear on any of the war memorials in the area or any of the 5 surviving rolls of honour. However, I am very interested in making sure that William is commemorated in the book, as he clearly resided in Irlam. Have you found any further information since your last post and is it possible for you to share it with us?

Kind regards
Pete

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Betty,

As Pete has given this thread a bump..........

Of the two William Olley casualties that Ken had possibly narrowed it down to:

William Olley, Pte 39779, Bedfordshire Regiment was born and resident Ipswich and enlisted Bury St Edmunds.

William Benjamin Olley, Pte 35797, Royal Warwickshire Regiment was born and enlisted Great Yarmouth. Residence is not given.

Neither of which look too promising to me.  :-\

Phil

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Gt Grandmother-Margaret Dickenson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 March 09 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Betty, this may be a bit late but I am co-writing a book on Irlam and Cadishead in WW1. I'm afraid I can't give you any information on William as he does not appear on any of the war memorials in the area or any of the 5 surviving rolls of honour. However, I am very interested in making sure that William is commemorated in the book, as he clearly resided in Irlam. Have you found any further information since your last post and is it possible for you to share it with us?

Kind regards
Pete

Hello Pete,

I unfortunately have found nothing at all.I got in touch with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission but no satisfation there.
William Olley was born 1893 in Newcastle.His sister Mary H Olley was b.Salford 1900 & married Frank Bunn.
They lived in Flixton & I remember when I was a child my mother taking me to their house.
There were photos on the wall of a soldier & my elderly mother who is still living & was their neice has always believed that these were of William Olley.
Reason being there was no one else in the family who had been in the Army close enough for them to have photos displayed.

As far as I am aware there should still be some of the Bunns possibly living in the area,who would be Mary Olley's children.They could probably help,I live in Spain so I am unable to find out.
Williams parents were buried at St John the Baptist Church,Irlam.

I will try to find out the names of Mary Olley/Bunns children if that would help.

Kind Regards

Betty

Lancashire- Moss,Broadbent,Olley,Dobson,Dickenson,
Norfolk-Olley,Knowles,Bunn,Pooley,Scott,Vince
Caithness & Dumfries - Evans,Sinclair,Mackay
Belfast-Antrim - Mackay,Connor,Bunting
Liverpool,Wigan & Southport - Ball,Taylor
Isle of Man - Harp,Dougherty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Knighton,Radnorshire - Evans, Broadhurst
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 March 09 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Betty,

As Pete has given this thread a bump..........

Of the two William Olley casualties that Ken had possibly narrowed it down to:

William Olley, Pte 39779, Bedfordshire Regiment was born and resident Ipswich and enlisted Bury St Edmunds.

William Benjamin Olley, Pte 35797, Royal Warwickshire Regiment was born and enlisted Great Yarmouth. Residence is not given.

Neither of which look too promising to me.  :-\

Phil

Phil

Hi Phil,

Just been looking at my notes & sometime last year (Oct/Nov) someone on the Salford Forum suggested that
William Olley Pvt 39779 Bedfordshire Regt. may be a possibility.
They said he was buried at Sarralbe Military Cemetery 29.6.1918 Ref:D3

I sent this to the CWGC but their reply was pretty negative.I found somewhere that at one point part of the cemetery was owned/used by the Germans & if I remember correctly it stated that they buried POW's there.

So I still have no certainty over this.

Regards

Betty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 March 09 20:33 GMT (UK) »

Kind regards
Pete

Hello Pete,

I unfortunately have found nothing at all.I got in touch with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission but no satisfation there.
William Olley was born 1893 in Newcastle.His sister Mary H Olley was b.Salford 1900 & married Frank Bunn.
They lived in Flixton & I remember when I was a child my mother taking me to their house.
There were photos on the wall of a soldier & my elderly mother who is still living & was their neice has always believed that these were of William Olley.
Reason being there was no one else in the family who had been in the Army close enough for them to have photos displayed.

As far as I am aware there should still be some of the Bunns possibly living in the area,who would be Mary Olley's children.They could probably help,I live in Spain so I am unable to find out.
Williams parents were buried at St John the Baptist Church,Irlam.

I will try to find out the names of Mary Olley/Bunns children if that would help.

Kind Regards

Betty

Mary Olley(Williams sister) & husband Frank F.W.Bunn had 2 children who possibly still reside in any of the following areas : Flixton,Irlam & Cadishead,Urmston,or Davyhulme.

They are William Bunn  known as Billy & Maureen Bunn  both born Flixton.

Hope this is of help to you in the research of your book

Regards

Betty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 March 09 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Betty,

Here are a couple of quick links to the CWGC; one for the Bedfordshire's William Olley and the other to the cemetery, which as you say, contains the graves of several PoWs:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2913115

http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=2096967&mode=1

The additional info I gave you in my last post came from SDGW.
I've gone through every W Olley and can't find any born/enlisted/resident combination that matches yours.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 March 09 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Betty,

Here are a couple of quick links to the CWGC; one for the Bedfordshire's William Olley and the other to the cemetery, which as you say, contains the graves of several PoWs:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2913115

http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=2096967&mode=1

The additional info I gave you in my last post came from SDGW.
I've gone through every W Olley and can't find any born/enlisted/resident combination that matches yours.

Phil

Thank you for this,it is a complete mystery to me.It is as if William Olley never even existed  let alone missing presumed dead.

So frustrating that families didn't pass more information on to their loved ones then we could get on with our  research properly.

Thank you anyway for all your help

Regards

Betty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Caithness - Sinclair

Offline pete th

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 March 09 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Betty, I'll search  more info on William. There is a Charles Bunn on our war memorial (extract from pur book below). Note that he was born in Newcastle and lived in Fiddlers Lane. He must be related? Perhaps the photo was Charles. I've attached his photo.

Regards
Pete

Charles James William Bunn         
Private Charles Bunn (Service no. 2257) served with the 1st Battalion, Manchester Regiment, 8th (Jullundur) Brigade, 3rd Division. He was born in Newcastle-on-Tyne. He resided with his wife, Minnie, and two children at 72 Hurst Fold, Irlam and was employed by British Westinghouse in Trafford Park. He was a well-known local tenor. He enlisted in 1914 at Manchester, giving his address as 17 Fiddlers Lane, Irlam. His battalion left Marseilles on the 10th December 1915 and arrived at Basra on the 8th January 1916. On Wednesday the 8th March 1916 Charles took part in an attack on the Dujailah Redoubt on the Turkish right flank, which was part of an unsuccessful attempt to relieve the besieged British garrison at Kut-al-Amara. This was a formidable part of the Turkish defences located between the Tigris and the Shatt-el-Hai in Mesopotamia. The following is a summary of the action taken from the despatches of Lieutenant-General Sir Percy Lake: The first attack on the redoubt was strongly opposed by the enemy from trenches cleverly concealed in the brushwood. The southern attack was reinforced, and by 1pm had pushed to within 500 yards of the Redoubt. Concealed trenches again stopped further progress. The Turks made several counter-attacks with reinforcements which had by now arrived from Magasis. A further assault on the Redoubt took place at 5.15pm. Attacks were launched from the south and east under cover of a heavy bombardment. The 9th and 28th Infantry Brigades got within 200 yards of the southern face, where they were held up by heavy fire. Meanwhile the 8th Infantry Brigade, supported by the 37th, had assaulted from the East. The two leading battalions of the Brigade; the Manchesters and 59th Rifles, and some of the 37th Infantry Brigade, succeeded in gaining a foothold in the Redoubt. They were heavily counter-attacked by large enemy reinforcements, and were subjected to extremely rapid and accurate shrapnel fire from concealed guns in the vicinity of Sinn Aftar. As a result our troops were forced to fall back to their starting positions. A renewal of the assault on the night of the 8th/9th March could not be made with any prospect of success therefore a withdrawal took place to Wadi. The troops had been under arms for over 30 hours, including a long night march. They were exhausted and water supplies were running low. The Battalion sustained a total of 13 Officer and 447 other rank casualties. Charles was killed during this action on 8th March 1916, aged 24. He is commemorated on the Basra memorial. He was entitled to the 1915 star trio. After his death his wife later remarried becoming Mrs. Minnie Barber residing at 14 Heath Road, Owley Wood, Weaverham, Cheshire.

Offline bettyespana

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 March 09 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Betty, I'll search  more info on William. There is a Charles Bunn on our war memorial (extract from pur book below). Note that he was born in Newcastle and lived in Fiddlers Lane. He must be related? Perhaps the photo was Charles. I've attached his photo.

Regards
Pete

Charles James William Bunn         
Private Charles Bunn (Service no. 2257) served with the 1st Battalion, Manchester Regiment, 8th (Jullundur) Brigade, 3rd Division. He was born in Newcastle-on-Tyne. He resided with his wife, Minnie, and two children at 72 Hurst Fold, Irlam and was employed by British Westinghouse in Trafford Park. He was a well-known local tenor. He enlisted in 1914 at Manchester, giving his address as 17 Fiddlers Lane, Irlam. His battalion left Marseilles on the 10th December 1915 and arrived at Basra on the 8th January 1916. On Wednesday the 8th March 1916 Charles took part in an attack on the Dujailah Redoubt on the Turkish right flank, which was part of an unsuccessful attempt to relieve the besieged British garrison at Kut-al-Amara. This was a formidable part of the Turkish defences located between the Tigris and the Shatt-el-Hai in Mesopotamia. The following is a summary of the action taken from the despatches of Lieutenant-General Sir Percy Lake: The first attack on the redoubt was strongly opposed by the enemy from trenches cleverly concealed in the brushwood. The southern attack was reinforced, and by 1pm had pushed to within 500 yards of the Redoubt. Concealed trenches again stopped further progress. The Turks made several counter-attacks with reinforcements which had by now arrived from Magasis. A further assault on the Redoubt took place at 5.15pm. Attacks were launched from the south and east under cover of a heavy bombardment. The 9th and 28th Infantry Brigades got within 200 yards of the southern face, where they were held up by heavy fire. Meanwhile the 8th Infantry Brigade, supported by the 37th, had assaulted from the East. The two leading battalions of the Brigade; the Manchesters and 59th Rifles, and some of the 37th Infantry Brigade, succeeded in gaining a foothold in the Redoubt. They were heavily counter-attacked by large enemy reinforcements, and were subjected to extremely rapid and accurate shrapnel fire from concealed guns in the vicinity of Sinn Aftar. As a result our troops were forced to fall back to their starting positions. A renewal of the assault on the night of the 8th/9th March could not be made with any prospect of success therefore a withdrawal took place to Wadi. The troops had been under arms for over 30 hours, including a long night march. They were exhausted and water supplies were running low. The Battalion sustained a total of 13 Officer and 447 other rank casualties. Charles was killed during this action on 8th March 1916, aged 24. He is commemorated on the Basra memorial. He was entitled to the 1915 star trio. After his death his wife later remarried becoming Mrs. Minnie Barber residing at 14 Heath Road, Owley Wood, Weaverham, Cheshire.

Hi Pete,

Your info is fantastic.I have checked with my Mum(phone) & she says this Charles Bunn was the nephew of William Olley's mother Martha Olley nee Bunn.She was my Gt Grandmother.
The funny thing is that he had given his address as 17 Fiddlers Lane Irlam.That was the address of my Gt Grandparents.
My Mum says that Charles & his parents lived on Fiddlers Lane a bit further along but she doesn't know the number.
She does not think the 3 photos on Aunty Mary's wall were of Charles Bunn.

Also my Mum told me that her sister used to go & stay with the Barbers when she was a girl but they lived in Bingley at the time.

I live in Spain but I am going to print this info off plus photo & take it all for Mum & Aunt to look at when I visit UK in June.

Regards

Betty
Cheshire - Dickenson
Caithness - Sinclair