Author Topic: Heaton Park Prefabs  (Read 127876 times)

Offline keek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Heaton Park Prefabs
« Reply #198 on: Sunday 19 April 15 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanne
If your mum went to parkside primary then a few people may remember her it depends which class
She was in,I lived on the estate near bury old road i also went to park side  but I don't remember her name.a few people still use this site so you may be lucky.regards Keith.

Offline JoanneGrady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Sunday 19 April 15 18:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Keith
My mum went to St Clare's Catholic Primary school on Victoria Avenue.

Offline keek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Sunday 19 April 15 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanne
That's ok I hope you get some replys.have you tried school friends reunited.keith.

Offline JoanneGrady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Sunday 19 April 15 18:17 BST (UK) »
My mum was more interested in talking to people who lived in the prefabs but I will tell her about that website. Many thanks

Offline SandraVilosky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Monday 12 October 15 01:55 BST (UK) »
[/font[/size
My name is Sandra Vilosky.  As a child, I lived at 11 Erlmere Drive, Heaton Park.  I went to the school in the park.  I lived there until I was about 16; and then my mother, Rose, got a transfer to Blackley.
I remember the Phone Box on the corner of the big opening (the other end of the wall, was called the little opening /exit) onto Bury Old Road.  I remember the Ostrich Hotel, the Off Licence, Harold's the Fishmonger, (I think); I remember, Sheepfoot Lane.  I remember the Terminus Bus Stop at the big entrance gates to Heaton Park.  I remember the inside of the Prefab, which I loved; and I can wander around in my minds eye, from the built in cupboards in the bedrooms, to the ones in the lounge room, and kitchen/dining room; plus the cooking range with built in under bench fridge.  Outside, was the Coal shed, and a huge back garden, which my father, Harry, tended so lovingly.  Later on, I remember a man called Jock, who was a gardener, and who also lived on the estate, showing me a handful of worms; which I absolutely hated, and to this day, cannot stand.
Of the park itself; I fondly remember The Heaton Belle Steamer; my. Wonderful grandfather often took me on for a ride, and even a second ride! Costing 2pence a ride, then an ice cream, and onward past the beautiful Rhododendron bushes; walking slightly uphill to our destination, of the Glass Cafe, with the stone Lions at top of the steps, on either side of the cafe entrance; then a cool Lemonade, and another ice cream, then we would follow the path round past the Bandstand, past the animals; and out through the large gates; then onto a number 35 bus to grandparents house in Waterloo Road, off Cheetham Hill Road.
I remember, some people who lived in Erlmere Drive, I think the name was,Mr and Mrs Bernstein, and opposite Mr and Mrs Peacock, and their daughter Ann.  Ann had a record player; and we would listen to records such as Elvis, and Pat Boone, while Mrs Peacock baked Scones and buns.  Directly opposite me; was a family with two boys, I think they were Jeffrey and John; I think the family name was Leah.  I remember, at one time, a little girl called Mary, who wore a Caliper, lived next door to my right, or left if I was standing in front of my front door.  I would climb over the back fence to play with her.
I used to gallop everywhere on an imaginary horse; I remember, a little girl on the estate, called Jean Moran! She had a very cool dolls pram, but her mum would not always allow her to bring it outside.
On the other side of the estate; near the little Opening in the wall; I would visit my mums friend Carmel and Tommy Baker! They had one son called Paul. I loved Aunty Carmel and Uncle Tom.  They had a huge Sheep Dog called Cassie.  I also remember, a little friend called Rachelle Donna; her father became the Mayor.

I have a brother called Raymond, eight years younger than me; and he used to ride his bike around the estate.  Whenever we couldn't find him, we would know, there would be a fair in the park, and that's where he'd be.

The reason I wrote all this, is to maybe jolt someone's memory; but also, I enjoyed my walk down memory lane.
Anybody, who may remember us, or people I've mentioned; and would like to catch up; can write to
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline SandraVilosky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Monday 12 October 15 04:03 BST (UK) »
Shi Liverpool Annie; I think the round roofed places referred to, was actually the Coal Shed!
He/his memory is probably fuzzy.  There were also long round roofed structures, that were soldiers barracks.

I lived at number 11 Erlmere Drive  around 1949 - approx 1960
I can be contacted on (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Sandra.Vilosky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Saturday 31 October 15 04:59 GMT (UK) »
HI LindaVynne
I lived at 11 Erlmere Drive.  Do you remember a girl called Jean Moran?

To all prefab dwellers
I remember the Bandstand at the bottom of a hill; I remember sitting on the top of the hill listening to the brass band.

I also remember the Paddling pool, and the Circus that came once a year.

Offline Babling Brook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

I didn't live in the prefabs but I remember the them well... Sheepfoot Lane and Bury Old Road... we virtually lived in Heaton Park in our youth and I can remember thinking how lucky they were to actually live within the Park. I also remember some prefabs at the north of the park where we spent a day from school on a nature day.

What triggered my memory though was the circus you mentioned, I'm writing my sister's Bio ... she ran the 'Pets Corner' for awhile ... and I  'remember' the circus came in at Victoria Station and they walked up Cheetham Hill Road all the way to Heaton Park,elephants and all ! I 'remember' a chap called Heinz ... who I think sis was dating ... who I think was the Owner - Boss ? who drove a huge white Merc and reminded me of Jethro of 'Beverley Hillbillies' fame . All this was about 1958 +- and if you could remember the name of the circus I'd be very grateful and it would also confirm it actually happened !

Regards Chris   :)  ???

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 10:12 GMT (UK) »

There is an exhibition of old letters and Photographs of Heaton Park and Sedgley Park taken during the 1930's  at Prestwich Library this weekend only 9.30am-1pm if anyone is local.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk