Author Topic: Heaton Park Prefabs  (Read 127683 times)

Offline Sandra.Vilosky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find you for ages
« Reply #207 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 05:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanne
That's ok I hope you get some replys.have you tried school friends reunited.keith.
x

Hello Keith
I've been trying everywhere, to be able to send you a message! I hope this works.
I hope you are well.  All fine here.
Will write more when I can see that this got through.
Best wishes,

Sandra  (Vilosky)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Heaton Park Prefabs
« Reply #208 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 10:11 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Sandra,

Keith was online last night, hopefully he has picked up on your message already.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sandra.Vilosky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 12:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sarah
Sandra

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 15:21 BST (UK) »
The "Experimental" bit of Parkside School, at least in the late 1960s/early 1970s was to do with shipping pupils and some of their staff in from two different Schools, for a fortnight, to mingle and work together on themed projects with the Parkside Staff.
I seem to recall the schools were usually very different social areas, from places like Stockport, Oldham, areas of Manchester and further afield, shipped in by 'bus each day, and each group had a classroom base with at least one member of staff from a School, and one from the Parkside contingent. The Mansion in the Park, and the tower, and indeed the whole area were used as resources.
I seem to recall some small animals kept on site as well, and the classroom buildings formed the four sides of courtyards. Meals were taken in a sort of canteen type room, again, the children were "encouraged" to mingle. On the final day of each "course" parents were invited to attend, and pupils put on exhibitions and playlets, and displays. My memory is that the vast majority of the parents who came to see the work their little dears had done were - predictably - the more middle class ones, sadly.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline rebertaL

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Friday 30 December 16 16:25 GMT (UK) »
I've just come across this chat room. I went to Parkside school and I lived in Edgeware avenue at the bottom of Sheepfoot lane. Parkside was the nearest school and i went there (1953-61) even though it was in Manchester. Brilliant times in the park. I have all my old school pictures from nursery onwards. Does anyone remember going to Tintwistle for a couple of days. I think we slept in bunks. When I was there it was just an ordinary school, later on when the prefabs were demolished it was used by different schools, then as council offices.  I remember planting the trees at Grand lodge when I  was about 5. Now my grandchildren point them out and tell their friends. i know my late mother had a picture of me planting the tree - it was from the paper but i've never been able to  find it.

Offline writerpat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hello
Is this thread still active? I posted a couple of years ago about my stories in People's Friend Magazine set in an imaginary Prefab Village in the 1950s, based loosely on the Heaton Park and Boggart Clough prefabs.

Since then, Fabrian Books have published 2 "Broome Park Prefab Village" books and I've a new one coming out on October 25th 2018. If anyone would like a wander down a prefab memory lane, the books are available on Amazon.

Offline waltandphyl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi my name is alyson stringfellow.  You mention a peter stringfellow but my dad was called walt and my mum phyllis. I had three brother's mike robin and andrew (who sadly died) I was born in 112 broadmere.
Ps. My mum lived on the white heather camp near sheep foot lane.

Offline Barry Chapman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi, Alyson.
I now realise I got the name wrong It should have been Michel not Peter.
Your dad at one time used to drive a Landrover which he parked at the
 top of the walk, we used to sit in the back as it was always open.
Michel and I once run wires from our prefab to yours along the fence so we could talk to each other! We also used to play cricket using the trees that lined the path in the park for stumps, god things you remember!
you must have been younger than Michel.
Regards, Barry.

Offline Pete H

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Friday 04 June 21 14:24 BST (UK) »
I remember the prefabs in Heaton Park.  I lived on Eastleigh Road and went to Parkside Primary School with many of the children from the two prefab estates in the Park and the prefabs off Blackley New Road.  The only name I can remember is Joseph Booth who lived on the Bury Old Road estate.