Author Topic: Bowie,Edmondson,Hawick.  (Read 35239 times)

Offline ritchiewilk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-Grandfather WBW
    • View Profile
Re: Bowie,Edmondson,Hawick.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 04 May 09 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thought I would share this with you.

Isaac Edmondsons, b c1820, son George, b c1842, married Joan Bowie, b c1842.  They had a daughter, Janet Edmondson, b 1883, who married George Henry Cairncross, b 1884.  They had a daughter, Joan Bowie Cairncross, b 1910, who married Richard David Wilkinson, b 1901, my grandfather.

With me so far? Good

Isaacs second son Richard, b c1843 married Elizabeth Pattison Kennedy, b c1849, and they had a son John, b 1892 who married Jessie Hogg Wilkinson, b 1893 who was Richards half sister :o

As stated in the first post Joan Bowie was Jane Bowies aunt.  Janes father was Walter b 1834, Joans elder brother.

I was trying to work out how aunts, uncles, in laws and cousins would all tie in but I was getting confused.  I think I will leave it for another day. :-\

Ritchie
Wilkinson, Roxburghshire/Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Cairncross, Roxburghshire/Peeblesshire
Edmondson, Roxburghshire/Cumberland
Bowie, Roxburghshire
Young, Berwickshire/Roxburghshire/Selkirkshire
Hogg, Roxburghshire
Briggs, Nottinghamshire
Caldwell, Stirlingshie

Offline ritchiewilk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-Grandfather WBW
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 09 May 09 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have been doing more research into the Bowies and Edmondsons of Hawick.  You may already have this info but I thought I would share it anyway.

I stated on a previous post that Cathrine Edmondson b1863 and John Edmondson b1868 were the children of George Edmondson and Joan Bowie.  This info is not entirely true. ::)

Cathrine was born Catherine Bowie (illegitimate) on 31/3/1863 in Hawick.  Mother Joan Bowie.  No fathers name.

John was born on 28/3/1868 in Hawick and given the name John Bowie (illegitimate) mothers name Joan Bowie with no fathers name.

1871 scottish census has her as Catherine Oliver grandaughter.  Other names on the census were Isabella Bowie 69 head, Joan Bowie 28 daughter and John Bowie 3 grandson.

Catherine and John are shown as Edmondsons on the 1881 census as daughter and son living with George Edmondson and Joan.

Marriage records for Catherine have her as Catherine Oliver marrying Robert Anderson on 31/12/1884 in Wilton.  Her parents names given were George Oliver (deceased) reputed father and Joan Bowie now wife of George Edmondson butcher.

Looks like Joan was a naughty girl.  Who was Johns father?  I wonder if George Oliver had anything to do with his daughter or did he run a mile?  Did Catherine change her name by deedpole?  So many questions still to answer. ???

I'll keep digging for more info when i get more credits for scotlandspeople and I will keep you informed

Bye for now

Ritchie
Bowie, Roxburghshire
Hogg, Roxburghshire
Briggs, Nottinghamshire
Caldwell, Stirlingshie

Offline son of sandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Everybody,
Read your comments with interest,Willam Bowie/Margaret Hogg are my 4x great grandparents,through their daughter Margaret marrying Robert Kennedy,same line as Elspeth.
I have been unable to locate death record of Margarets'brother William,found his wife Marys' death in 1878,can anyone help?
Margaret also had a brother Crosbie,I am sure there were others,but so far have not been able to find them.
Read Ritchies comments about Joan Bowie,she had a sister Elizabeth,[Bessie] who never married,but had quite a few children.
I was born in Duns,but now live in North London.
Gerry.

Offline ritchiewilk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-Grandfather WBW
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry,

Welcome to Rootschat.  You will enjoy it here.  There are loads of people here with loads of experience who are always willing to help you if you have a question or two, or twenty. :)

So far I only have census records for Elizabeth.  They show that she had 4 children, John born c1865, Isabella born c1872, Helen born c1874 and Catherine born c1879.  I found a death record for a Margaret Bowie b1869 (illegitimate) who died 4 days after birth.  There was no fathers name on the death record,  Does this tie in with what you have?

Ritchie
Bowie, Roxburghshire
Hogg, Roxburghshire
Briggs, Nottinghamshire
Caldwell, Stirlingshie

Offline son of sandy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 28 May 09 20:13 BST (UK) »
Ritchie,
This is what I have on Elizabeth,
Isabella  20/03/1858-24/07/1858
John       16/05/1859-20/08/1859
Isabella  10/05/1860-10/05/1860  [1 hour old]
John       12/07/1861-25/07/1861
John       16/11/1862-18/04/1864
John       15/11/1864-? think he was married to a Margaret Ferguson,on 1871 census he is called John Bell,possible fathers name?
George   28/01/1867-04/04/1867
Margaret 12/03/1869-16/03/1869
Isabella  03/07/1871-?
Helen     12/03/1873-?
Catherine 05/04/1879-1962.on husbands' death cert her name is given as Catherine Bowie Whellans in 1881 census she is with her mother and surviving siblings living with a Richard Whellans,possible father?
All of them with the exception of Helen were born in Hawick,Helen in Bridgeton,Lanark.
All the Isabellas' and Johns' are obviously named after her parents.
Have'nt found any more,poor woman died in 1886,all these kids in 20 years must have taken its toll.
Gerry.

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 05 June 09 09:51 BST (UK) »
I've just been looking into Walter Bowie's death on the new release of OPRs...... And found this for the 12th Nov 1792.... and seemed appropriate to ask on this thread as I think we all have a link back to Walter.

It looks like its not his death; I can make it out except for the last word:

Walter Bowie smith's Child drowned in a B???

It looks like Bouie?? Anyone know better than me?

Wonder who the child was and why the child wasnt named?? Seems odd.

Tracey

Offline janebowie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 09:45 BST (UK) »
Oh no, all these poor children and grieving parents, this is so sad.
I've looked for the word "bouie" which doesn't ring any "terie" bells (that's what I read too) and can't find any Scots equivalents. I'll try to check it out with my elderly Bowie relatives when I'm over in Hawick next time.
The strange thing is that "Bouie" is very similar to the original Gaelic form of "Bowie" and exists as a surname (though in America may also be derived from French "Bouvier") so it connects but seems terribly illogical as an object or geographical feature containing water. Such a pity my dad isn't around anymore as the last Bowie I know of to have experience of working in the family forge, maybe it was the name of some kind of barrel or trough inherent to the forge.
Jane

Offline ritchiewilk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-Grandfather WBW
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 17:51 BST (UK) »
I've just been re-reading the messages on here and I was thinking Tracey, the "Bouie" you are asking about could it refer to the "Bowie Well" Jane mentioned in her post dated 30 march 2008?

Ritchie
Bowie, Roxburghshire
Hogg, Roxburghshire
Briggs, Nottinghamshire
Caldwell, Stirlingshie

Offline janebowie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 17:02 BST (UK) »
This also crossed my mind. I was unsure about the idea as the well was situated in or near the Sand Bed if I remember (street in Hawick) while the info I have on Walter Bowie is that he was from Cavers. Of course the well could have been part of the family's "work patch" for many years which would explain the name, after all it was known by that name in the 19th century, more or less only 100 years or 3 generations after the certificates regarding Walter seem to be dated. But poor old Wat had quite a journey to work every day if that's the case. Perhaps he was well off enough to have an old horse or pony for transport.
Then again it may be a family value. My grandfather Andrew Bowie (the last Bowie blacksmith as far as I am aware) would go out to the farms on the bus to do their work during the 20s, 30s and 40s, and not stop until he'd finished, even though it meant missing the last bus home and having to tramp 10 miles or more, getting back in the wee small hours. Life was hard.