Author Topic: Bowie,Edmondson,Hawick.  (Read 35241 times)

Offline janebowie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bowie,Edmondson,Hawick.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 March 08 19:46 BST (UK) »
Dear Everyone,
I came across this by chance and am amazed.

My name is Jane Bowie, I'm the daughter of the James Tait Bowie who died in Hawick in November 2005 (and a very fine person he was, still not over losing him). There are indeed still Bowies in Hawick (close relatives of mine), and as regards those of us who have moved away, our hearts, believe me, are still there.

I haven't had time to read in detail all your messages but will send this page to my two sisters who live very near Hawick who will also inform my aunts in Hawick.

There are many Bowies in the Wilton cemetary at Hawick, including my grandfather, Andrew Bowie (died 1947, blacksmith) and Lily Bowie née Douglas, his wife, and my greatgrandparents James Bowie and Mary Best (of Gladstone St, Hawick, as mentioned by Amanda) and my great uncle Thomas Bowie (never married). I'll sit down and try to work out where they all fit into your research.

My family has been in Hawick for hundreds of years, apparently one Walter Bowie was blacksmith at Cavers (a brother of William or perhaps the same person, named by Amanda?) in 1750. A book I have published in 1913 named "Hawick in the early 60s" lists as Burgess in the town:
- Andrew Bowie, blacksmith, admitted as burgess of the town 13th October, 1842
..as having the municipal vote in the town in 1861:
- Andrew Bowie, horse shoer, West Port
I take a guess that we're speaking of the same Andrew Bowie in Amanda's list.

The municipal well in Drumlanrig St (I'll check) was known as Bowie's Well, I believe because the Bowie of that moment, being a blacksmith (what else?) drew his water there for the forge. The Bowies were always damn fine blacksmiths, and my grandfather Andrew Bowie paid dearly for it dying of lung cancer in 1947 in his early fifties.

My father was a veterinary surgeon (born Hawick, 1928, and he knew how to nail a shoe firmly onto a hoof), his father Andrew Bowie was a farrier, his father was James Bowie, apparently either a vet or a farrier, his father was apparently Andrew Bowie. The only male names of living Bowies in my near family that I know of are Andrew and James, we're speaking about a VERY traditional family.  The close relationship between the Bowies and horses is renowned in the area. My father was something of a horse whisperer and my sister has the same gift.

The Bowies of Hawick that I know are a close knit clan and my father loved the town with all his heart. Just in case you're interested apparently the surname comes from "Bhuidhe", Gaelic for yellow or fair.

It would be lovely to hear back, I can try to get info regarding any questions you may have about exact dates and addresses.

With regards to all,
Jane Bowie

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 March 08 23:38 BST (UK) »
I've sent you a message ;D

Its great to know theres lots more Bowies out there as my g.grandpa (the other James Tait Bowie) only had one child that survived beyond childhood which was my Granny; Agnes (Nan) Bowie, who was born at Gladstone Street. Our branch of the family is very small...

BTW I just did some google searching and found this:
http://www.scottishcorpus.ac.uk/corpus/search/document.php?documentid=1374
To summarise, a Mr Bowie, Farrier, is mentioned. Could this be your Grandfather?

Regards

Tx

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 March 08 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane and Sparkle,
thanks for your replies, Jane it is great that we have now have you to fill in some of the details on the Bowie family, I am not connected I'm afraid, well I have one or two family members who married in to the Bowie family way back but you 2 are definitely connected through the family of Andrew Bowie and Margaret Byers, Jane you will see from previous posts where the middle name of Tait comes from, way back to 1827 with the birth of Andrew Bowie,son of Andrew Bowie of Hawick and of Helen Tait of Eilridge,Roberton,born at Eilridge,30th June 1827,
the next entry on the OPR is, James Tait Bowie, son of Andrew Bowie and of Margaret Byers his spouse, born at Eilridge BurnFoot, 10th Jan 1852, baptized 12th April 1852 by the Rev Greenhill,
there is also Janet Bowie born 11th April 1853, baptized 24th Nov 1853, on the same page.

As you will see from previous posts Andrew and Margaret had 11 known children, if you would like more details please let me know, James born 1852 was the eldest son, one son John died May 21st 1870 age 13years at Shiplaw, Cavers, the youngest son was also John born 1871 who married Annie Burns,1899. I will send you a PM,
bye for now,
Amanda.
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Whillans,Wheelans,Scotland.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline janebowie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 May 08 11:38 BST (UK) »
Sparkle and Terie:
Yes, that's definitely my grandfather mentioned in the wonderful document written in pure Terie. It's interesting to note that he was given the title of "Mr", apparently he was considered "middle class" in the town despite being an artesan, and at some point was able to buy in partnership Dovemount Motors in Wilton. It was very hard for my grandmother when he died prematurely as he was a tremendous worker and had a big sense of responsibilty towards his family.
It's lovely to know there's what would be considered a "scandal" by certain Victorian elements, ie a son born to an unmarried mother and a father who did his duty by recognising him. Who knows what happened. Did they subsequently marry? Or not? Just human curiosity. Who knows.
There used to be a custom known in Scotland as "bundling" whereby the courting couple were allowed to share a bed at night - but fully clothed and with a bolster over the girl's legs - to allow them to get to know each other better and decide if a marriage was the case. You can imagine that not everyone managed to stay bundled and perhaps it was just too difficult for young Andy and Nell, feisty Borderers that they were.
Jane

Offline ritchiewilk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-Grandfather WBW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda,

I've been researching my family tree when I came across your message here in Rootschat.

If I am right George Edmondson and Joan Bowie are my g-g-grandparents.  They had 8 children. One daughter was called Janet Edmondson b1883 who married a George Henry Cairncross b1884.  They had a a daughter named Joan Bowie Cairncross b1910 who married a Richard David Wilkinson b1901 and they are my fathers parents.  All these people were born, married and died (my father is still alive) in Hawick.

I don't have any info on any Bowies, apart from Joan, but I do have stuff on the Edmondson side.  I will write it out first and check it to make sure its correct and it makes sense then post it here in the next few days.

Ritchie

PS Is Terie short for Terie Bus?
Wilkinson, Roxburghshire/Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Cairncross, Roxburghshire/Peeblesshire
Edmondson, Roxburghshire/Cumberland
Bowie, Roxburghshire
Young, Berwickshire/Roxburghshire/Selkirkshire
Hogg, Roxburghshire
Briggs, Nottinghamshire
Caldwell, Stirlingshie

Offline Terie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 April 09 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Ritchie,

thanks for your reply,

Joan Bowie is part of the family I was researching,
she was the youngest child of John Bowie and Isabella Scott, the others were;
Isabella born approx 1826 married 1st William Turnbull,2nd John Ogilvie,she died 1897.
William born approx 1828,died 1888,single.
Walter born approx 1834 married Jane Anderson,1854,5ch,he died 1875.
Margaret born 1836 married Robert Balmer 1855,
Betty born approx 1838,died 1886,lived with Richard Whellans,

Isabella Bowie,Joan's mother died Nov 18th 1876 age 76yrs, buried Nov 20th in the Auld Kirk Yaird,Wilton.
father John Scott,
mother Isabella Scott,ms Turnbull.

on the 1841 census the surname is recorded as Boe in Hawick.

her husband John Bowie born approx 1800 is believed to be the son of William Bowie the blacksmith and Margaret Hogg married 1799,Hawick,John Bowie died around the same time as Joan was born,I could not find him on the 1841 census

look forward to hearing back from you,are you in Hawick or area?

I keep my Edmondson records seperate so will look through them again. If you would like any more Bowie info let me know.

Amanda.
Robson,Hawick.
Dodds,Hawick
Huggan,Hawick.
Burns,Hawick.
Brash,Hawick.
Crawford,Lilliesleaf.
Hislop,Lilliesleaf.
Pollock,Roxburghshire.
Whillans,Wheelans,Scotland.
Kennedy,Ancrum.

Offline ritchiewilk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-Grandfather WBW
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 April 09 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the info. It gives me plenty to work on.  I only joined roots this weak and already I have been given lots of info on other branches of my family tree.  Looks like I will be busy for a while.

I live in Galashiels, Selkirkshire.  Its about 18 miles from Hawick.  I was brought up in Innerleithen, Peeblesshire. My parents, grandparents and lots of aunts, uncles and cousins come from Hawick.

Whats your connection with Hawick?

I'm going to update my records now.  If I need anymore info I'll be in touch

Thanks

Ritchie
Bowie, Roxburghshire
Hogg, Roxburghshire
Briggs, Nottinghamshire
Caldwell, Stirlingshie

Offline ritchiewilk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-Grandfather WBW
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 April 09 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda,

Got some info on Edmondsons for you.

Isaac b c1820 in Coldbeck, Cumberland. Married to a Isabella Montgomery.

Children of Isaac & Isabella

George b c1842, m Joan Bowie, d Mar 23 1900 Wilton, Hawick
Richard b c1843, m Elizabeth P
Johanna or Hannah b c1848 Stair, Cumberland
Isaac b c1856, m Jane Bowie June 9 1876, d Feb 16 1924 Dalry & Gorgie, Edinburgh

Children of George & Joan

Cathrine b c1863
John b c1868
Isabella b c1874
Isaac b c1876
Richard b c1878
Elisabeth b c1880
Janet b Sept 13 1883 Wilton, Hawick, m George Henry Cairncross Mar 22 1907 Hawick, d Sept 28 1971
George b c1887

Children of Janet & George Henry

Joan Bowie b1910, m Richard David Wilkinson, d June 29 1999 Hawick.

This takes a direct line up to my grandparents.

Different census records shows the name spelled differently, Edmondson, Edmundson and Edmonstone.

1851 shows the name Johanna but on the 1861 & 1871 census records she is Hannah.

I want to do more research before I give you any more info.  I hope to confirm what I have and find more stuff.

Bye for now

Ritchie
Bowie, Roxburghshire
Hogg, Roxburghshire
Briggs, Nottinghamshire
Caldwell, Stirlingshie

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 April 09 19:40 BST (UK) »
Sparkle

I see you have a Hogg interest, have you took a look at this thread "HOGG,GEORGE c 1820 Rox.Scot" I've dropped a heap of Hogg gravestone photos on it

You may want to have a look.
Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty