Author Topic: hughes and falloon families  (Read 8059 times)

Offline anne jane

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:hughes and falloon families
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 April 04 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam

I have had problems too with finding certificates for the Falloon family on Scotlands people.  I think the reason for that is to get the certificate you need the exact spelling of the name on the certificate.

I will be going to the LDS sometime in the next few weeks so will search the indexes to the bdm's to see if I can find Falloons on them.

If you live near an LDS centre then I suggest you do the same as in the long run it will save you money.

My falloons arrived in Scotland around 1850 I managed to work this out when I found their date of marriage which was given as 1846 in Ireland and first found them on the 1851 census staying in Glengarnock Ayrshire

I have been trying to find Patrick Falloons date of death which is between 1871 and 81 as I am trying to find out who his parents were the same with his wife Sarah but like yourself I have had no luck in finding them on Scotland's people

Where do you stay?

Janie
meehan, hughes, falloon, mctague, connelly, clark, kazlaukas,johnstone, mcguigan, fenton, mcneil,shaw, thomson

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 April 04 21:03 BST (UK) »
I'm in Edinburgh so get quite a lot of access through Edinburgh Library's "Scottish History room".  The LDS has funny opening hours for us 9 to 5 girls.

I had a look at the Troqueer OPRs yesterday and saw some entries for catholic families listed with the adendum (e.g.) "...performed by J P McManus catholic priest".  But no sign of my lot.

Lots of squinting time still needed!

Cheers,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline anne jane

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 April 04 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam

Have you tried searching for poor law applications?  I don't know where they would be held for the areas that you are researching perhaps someone in the library maybe able to tell you.

My grandmother and her family,the Johnstons, came from Dumfries but I haven't really done much research on that side of the family

The LDS here in Glasgow have quite good opening times the only thing is that they close during the school holidays

I will need to make a trip one day to Edinburgh so would appreciate any tips you could give me on researching there as I have never been

Nice to hear from you and keep in touch

Janie
meehan, hughes, falloon, mctague, connelly, clark, kazlaukas,johnstone, mcguigan, fenton, mcneil,shaw, thomson

Offline siobhain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: hughes and falloon families
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hello from siobhain

also looking for Falloons and have found quite a few, dont know which are mine though,mainly in
Ireland - Belfast,Newry,Tyrone,Donegal and Dublin

would love to connect up any links with any of you!!

when I have time, will post a look up on the Ireland page

Connections found so far .......McClelland,Nesbitt,
Cousins,Cussen,Cullen/Killen,McShane

Offline ajcarroll

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 September 06 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I am also trying to find Faloon's or Feloon's that are from Armagh Ireland. All I know is Margaret Caroline Faloon born in Armagh in 1838/1839 to John and Helen Faloon. The immigrated to Australia before 4th July 1861 as Margaret married John Harrison on this date.

If any of your Faloon's match these I would love to hear it! Have been searching for a while now and cannot find anything!

Thanks
AJ  ;)
Casey, Carroll, Harrison, Standing, Renfrew, Greenhill, McTavish, Crow, Agnew, Merrion, Needs, Goddard, Matthews, Buffham, Falloon, Mills, Chamberlain, Donoghue,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 September 06 19:50 BST (UK) »
CC- recently traced Killens (& Falloons) for my husband's aunt now 96 years old.
William Killen m. Janet Duncan & had: Robert, James, Ann Jane, Elizabeth, Elinor, Thomas, Mary, Agnes, Mary & Esther (Aunt Essie's grandmother whom she was named after).
Elinor Killen m.1855 Joseph Falloon & had at least 8 children: Thomas, Julia, Albert, Agnes, Joseph, Ann Jane, William, James, William Killen.
If you want to exchange information, get in touch.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gloss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 April 07 23:05 BST (UK) »
 Annie Falloon came to Australia in 1863/64. Her parents are listed as Joseph Falloon and Mary Anne Woods. She was born in about 1840. She came from the Kilmore area of Armagh. I have found the surname spelt as Faloon, Fulloon, Fuline and Falon.
Regards,
gloss

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 April 07 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Gloss

This post might get better results on the Armagh/Ireland board here on RootsChat unless Annie and family were in Ayrshire/Scotland for any of the censuses before she left for Australia.

Regards.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gloss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 April 07 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I'm just adding my Falloon surname to the thread as you never know your luck in this global world!!

gloss