Author Topic: Harkess father & son and crew drown 1892  (Read 29389 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harkess father & son and crew drown 1892
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

Would that be the Lady Victoria in Newtongrange, I have been to that as well. With your dad working in PrestonLinks, you will know there were 24 inch high seam before they got through t the Coal Face, there is not the money available to get me through them.

They eventually had to bring in searching them before they went down the shaft. When I was about 4 Dad took me to pit on a Friday to get his wages, ended up in canteen, with a mug of tea and a big Kit-Kat. Superb.

Did you google "10 West Seaside, Prestonpans" where your Grandad was born, right on Firth of Forth about 250 yards from pit, great views.

I moved to East Kilbride about 16 years ago, and still miss Cockenzie & Port Seton and Prestonpans.

Tom

I know the CISWO organisation ran the Royal Musselburgh Golf Club, did your father play there?
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline jdh1951

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 10:04 GMT (UK) »
No dad did not play there to my knowledge but My uncle was head green-keeper there for many years and another Harkess was Captain at Kilspindie. My dad worked as a green-keeper for a period of time at Pollock Golf Club where his uncle was the head green-keeper and professional just after the war.

That was the Lady Victoria Pit in Newtongrange. Not like me to get muddled with history.
JDH

Offline jdh1951

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 10:16 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how dad got into golf but he did teach me a lot and I played off 5 for nearly 30 years. He must have been good to have been accepted for a job as an assistant pro. He had not played golf for quite a while when I was given some old hickory shafted clubs by a neighbour. He saw me and the neighbour's son mucking about with these in the park near to our house in Baillieston when he was coming home from work. He said to us to come and get our dinner and I come down with you later. That was how I started. He taught me how to play and I got the bug which has never left me. I was about 8 or 9 at that time and I'm now 64. I was Captain of Drumpellier Golf Club in Coatbridge in 2001-2. I live 300 yards from the clubhouse and 150 yards from the 10th tee.
JDH

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

Thats good I know where Drumpelier GC is, my son was a youth signing with Albion Rovers but he never made it, but spent hours taking him to games. 300 yards is far enough from the clubhouse, especially with 1 forward and 2 back.
I spend hours on genealogy, sometimes my own but other times trying to point others in the right direction. I used to play bowls but gave up when needing heart surgery,got triple bypass in Western Infirmary, Glasgow in 2004. Still manage to local pub on a Friday for a wee drink or ten.

Tom

Offline jdh1951

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I take it that you are also retired Tom?
I taught for 38 years, 32 in primary and my last 6 in secondary teaching 1st and 2nd year and also in the feeder primary schools to that secondary school. I now do the odd lecture for different groups, probus clubs and women's guilds.

JDH

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi John.

I have replied using the PM system. Look at my name, there should be a green icon nearby, click on the icon, it keeps things away from the main body.

Tom

Offline LucyAH1985

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, dad and Tom, this doesn't display too well on the iPhone! tom I now live in EK too! Small world.... LAH (Lucy Alice Harkess) Alice after my mums mum. My sister is Jacqueline Elizabeth Harkess after granny Harkess and my brother John James Harkess after my dads dad. Or grandpa Pop as we called him! L x

Offline aquanaut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Harkess Family Info. Hi John and family, Lucy, Jacqueline and John.
I did basic research on my wife`s family years ago and only now have time to expand it, and found your posts on RootsChat.
Don`t know if you are aware that you have direct Harkess relations living in the North of Scotland.
I met Grandpa Pop in 1985 when he attended his sister`s funeral in Aviemore. Agnes Smillie Harkess b.1911 10 West Seaside place, P/pans.
John you have four cousins still living, and all with expanding families. I only got into genealogy in 1997 when Agnes`s husband Johnnie Duncan died, and I was saddened to find that your Dad had passed two years earlier. I did also find yourself and Alison but not the children. So I`m delighted to have found these postings, albeit almost three years old.
I am working on and still expanding the Harkess line back to John Hercuss b, early 1700`s m= Janet Goodale, along with associated families. Also have lots of info and still expanding the Donaldson, Barber, Ross, McClelland, Smillie-Smellie, Drysdale families.
Would like to make contact. Will do the obligatory 3 postings to enable the Chat line.
BillH.

Offline aquanaut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Willing to assist with info on Harkess family line. BillH.