Author Topic: Nixey Lovell and Rachel Smith mid-19th century - East Anglia?  (Read 17315 times)

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Nixey Lovell and Rachel Smith mid-19th century - East Anglia?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 May 11 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy

No - I'm not suggesting that Mordecai is a sibling of Cornelius or father of Charles. Just that the use of the name Wainwright in both families may be worth investigation. As I said in my previous post, Mordecai died in Nottinghamshire, England, in 1873. Sarah Deloraine died aged 1 year.

The father of Delorany Lovell is Molyneux Lovell, as the marriage cert says. You also see it spelled as Mollineaux and Mollineux and abbreviated to Nixey. He was baptised 30 May 1813, Preston-on-the-Weald Moors, Shropshire, England, son of William and Fiance Lovell. (See KRMMT's comments earlier in this thread.)

One of Molyneux's wives was Rachel Smith, the sister of my 3xgreat-grandmother Femi Smith. She was baptised at Lowestoft, Suffolk, England, 5 June 1811, daughter of Ambrose Smith and Morella/Mirelli Draper. Rachel died 16 September 1862 in Tranmere, Birkenhead, Cheshire. That's why I'm interested in these Lovells.

I'll need to double-check my notes to see which of Molyneux's wives was the mother of Delorany. From memory, he had three partners. A friend of mine has been doing the research. I'll get back to you.

Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline 2shyeyes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 May 11 20:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry for any confusion I have not heard of some of these names before so please have patients with me. Is the Nixey mentioned earlier in this thread any relation to Delorany or her father Molyneux Lovell I have spoken of, if you may know? I don't know of these nick names and only recently discovered Samson/Sampson may have gone by Nellie to my surprise. I heard he died in Chicago but I can't find and records to that effect. Thanks --Sandy (Indiana, USA)

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 May 11 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy

The Nixey Lovell I was looking for when I started this thread - the partner of my Rachel Smith – has turned out to be the Molyneux Lovell who was born in 1813. The Delorany Lovell who married Cornelius Boswell at Manchester Cathedral in 1861 is the daughter of this Molyneux.

I have now checked my notes as to Molyneux's wives. He had three partners:

His first wife was Pheasant Boswell, daughter of Israel and Sibirani Boswell. Molyneux and Pheasant married 23 Aug 1830 in Halifax, Yorkshire, where he is described as being a cutler & brazier of Skipwith. Delorany is a child of this marriage, born about 1836 but place of baptism not yet traced. Other children of this marriage include Molyneux (born and died in 1831); William (baptised 1835); and Mary also known as Lovithan, born c1838, the partner of James Seed, who emigrated to the USA.

His second wife was Rachel Smith by whom Molyneux had the following children: Molyneux (1840-1883); Honor (born 1842); David (born about 1846); and Madona (born 1848, died 1900).

His third wife was Elizabeth (surname unknown) by whom Molyneux had: Jane Matilda (born c1850); Caroline (born 1852); Nixey (born about 1854). This Nixey travelled to and settled in the USA. I believe he is the 'Professor Nixey' that KRMMT talked of earlier in this thread: a boxer who was part of the entourage of the world champion Jem Mace when he toured the USA in 1883.

So the answer to your question is: there were at least two Nixeys in this family - the one born 1813 and the one born around 1854. (And you will also find the name in use in other Lovell families in England and Wales in the 19th century...)

On Samson/Sampson: his nickname may be Neli rather than Nellie. Neli is a short form of Cornelius in some English Gypsy families so it may be useful to keep that in mind when you are looking through name indexes for your ancestor.

Sharon

Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline 2shyeyes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 May 11 23:47 BST (UK) »
Sharon This is great I feel I have had a break-through of a lifetime. So I gather the Nixey that came to the US was a brother from another mother of Delorany if I have read this correctly. The Mary you speak of that married a Seed do you know her children? I was told that Walter Cook my grandfather (who may or may not have been gypsy) mother was a Mary. And he was born in 1885 closer to Charlie Boswells age then my grandmothers age, she was born in abt 1910. I was told he came from Charlies side of the family. Like I stated before I found him in a census living with a Delity Boswell in Anderson, Indiana listed as her nephew but the obituary list him as her adopted son and he was her only heir. I know he had brothers that lived in the Chicago area but I have been unable to locate them. This makes me think that his real name was not Cook. I will see if I can find the first names of his brothers and see if they may ring a bell with you. Perhaps they are apart of the Lovell family. I am going to go back through some of my earlier research to see if I can find any of the new names everyone one has mentioned and hopefully I can link them up with some facts on this side of the search.
Thanks so much-Sandy

Offline 2shyeyes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 29 May 11 00:08 BST (UK) »
Sharon I have a Delilah in my line and since I have yet to connect a true last name to her mother she may be of interest to you. I have come across the name Smith but dismissed it because I had not heard it before. The Delilah I have was born in the US abt 1869 to Samson/Sampson Boss & Susannah Williams who was listed in the US census as his mistress. The name on her headstone was Boswell so I am not sure what the real truth may be yet.
Sandy

Offline KRMMT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 May 11 02:31 BST (UK) »
Excellent information Sharon!

I didn't know Lovithan was from this branch. Now I see how it ties in..

Thanks so much!

Offline 2shyeyes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 29 May 11 05:49 BST (UK) »
Sharon- Do you know of a middle name for Delorany or perhaps you know a nick name for the name Delorany?
Thanks-Sandy

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 29 May 11 09:41 BST (UK) »
Excellent information Sharon!

I didn't know Lovithan was from this branch. Now I see how it ties in..

Thanks so much!

Hi Roger

You're very welcome. I've only recently been given this information by another researcher. He's not a Lovell descendant but he knows a lot about Boswells, his wife's bloodline, and he researches collateral lines. Happy to share it.

Sharon
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 29 May 11 09:45 BST (UK) »
Sharon- Do you know of a middle name for Delorany or perhaps you know a nick name for the name Delorany?
Thanks-Sandy

Hi Sandy

Don't know if Delorany had a middle name. We'll have to wait until someone finds her baptism record...As to nicknames: perhaps it could be shortened to Rany?

Sharon
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies