Author Topic: Cathcart, Cathcart Old Parish and Linn  (Read 82533 times)

Offline timrousbeastie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cathcart, Cathcart Old Parish and Linn
« Reply #171 on: Monday 03 March 14 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, sorry internet problems meant I gave up trying to load anything yesterday.  I found the lair but I'm afraid there's no headstone.  I did search the area round about in case there was a tablet that had been displaced or broken and I didn't see anything.

I've attached a pic anyway.  The stone lying down is 279, for once it's clearly marked, and 280 is to the right.
McAdam, Neilson, McGinlay / McGinley, Hayes, McIntosh

Offline Yvonne19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Sunday 09 March 14 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for delay in replying, but I didn't receive a message from Rootschat and I try to only check once a week.

Thanks for taking the trouble to take and photo and post it.  I'm very grateful.

Yvonne

Offline sbutler

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Thursday 10 July 14 07:59 BST (UK) »
Had a very pleasant wander around Old Cathcart for a couple of hours.  No need for me to clamber over any walls today as the archaeologists were in and the gate was open for the first time I can recall since I was but a lad.

Spoke to one of the archaeologists and as part of their survey, they are recording the MIs of every stone where they can.  They have scheduled another 3 weekends to complete the work.  The chap I spoke with was unsure where and when the report will be published, or whether it will be available to the public.  I do have an address for the project leader and I'll contact her soon (if not tonight).
The same chap[ tells me he is at stone 200 or so of about 240 in the churchyard - I only counted about 140???

I've jotted down the names of the legible stones for future reference should anyone else be asking.

I was wondering if in your notes for the Cathcart Old Parish cemetery you had any Ewings. In particular, I'm after these two:

• John Ewing, died sometime 1846 - 1849
  • Robert Ewing, son of John, died Jan 1849

We couldn't find burial records for them, but they lived in New Cathcart, and given the year it seems like the Old Parish cemetery is the most likely place. I tried contacting the email address what was on the Glasgow University survey sign, but looks like it's no longer active  :(

Offline olduser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 11:10 BST (UK) »
PM sent

Offline dipsys dad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Monday 01 June 15 21:19 BST (UK) »
As a teenager in the early 70's, we used the kirkyard as our meeting place, and, looking at the place on Saturday after a 30 odd year absence, I am shocked. A great many markers have simply disappeared, and others are so defaced it is a disgrace. However, in the 70's, there was a survey of the place by the local history group. It was very amateurish but it did uncover quite a few flat stones in the old section which are completely covered by turf. These were recorded and covered up again. To answer another question, I remember one being uncovered in fantastic condition, dedicated to the Urie family, with two or three souls underneath it. I do recall a great many of the names of people buried there who are no longer marked, so if anybody needs help, I'll try.

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Monday 06 June 16 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hi. I found out today where my great grandparents are buried after 5 years of searching. It's in the Linn Section of Cathcart Cemetery. lair 2B 2001. They are James and Agnes Masterton and they died in 1952 and 1954.

I immediately went on the internet and found this thread and am hoping that it is still active. I can't get to Scotland for at least another year and was hoping that there may be someone going to the cemetery who would be willing to see if there is a headstone for my great grandparents. I know it's a long shot but if it is possible it would be fantastic. I can't believe I am this close after years of searching.

Thanks Alison

Offline timrousbeastie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Monday 06 June 16 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I'll have a look for you and get photos if there's a stone  :)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 10:18 BST (UK) »
Good morning Timrousbeastie

Thank you so much, that is really kind of you.

Alison

Offline timrousbeastie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 20:33 BST (UK) »
PM sent with photos :)