Author Topic: Cathcart, Cathcart Old Parish and Linn  (Read 82187 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cathcart, Cathcart Old Parish and Linn
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Lora
I don't know what to say, to be honest when I saw the photos they made me a bit tearful - thank you so much. It's wonderful having the pictures and it was so kind of you to do this.
Thanks from both me and dad, I am going to see him tomorrow and I will take the pictures to show him.
Alison

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 22:10 BST (UK) »
I should have asked, is it OK for me to use the photos on my Ancestry tree and my Family History blog if I credit you?
A

Offline timrousbeastie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Tuesday 07 June 16 23:49 BST (UK) »
You're welcome, I'm glad I could get them for you.  And yes of course you can use them on your tree!
McAdam, Neilson, McGinlay / McGinley, Hayes, McIntosh

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Thursday 09 June 16 00:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Offline Orontes57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Sunday 01 August 21 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, sorry internet problems meant I gave up trying to load anything yesterday.  I found the lair but I'm afraid there's no headstone.  I did search the area round about in case there was a tablet that had been displaced or broken and I didn't see anything.

I've attached a pic anyway.  The stone lying down is 279, for once it's clearly marked, and 280 is to the right.

Hi Everyone, it has been some time since I wrote to Rootschat wwith alot of help given and received.  I am now interested in the OLd Cemetery Cathcart.  I have seen an entry in a series of Books of Monuments of Renfrewshire. Not quite the title Page 9, Vol One. I am very interested in the entries for the Smith family in th cemetery, as our elusive John McARthurs mother was a Margaret Smith and we have yet to find her. There is a Margaret Smith that fits the age we need for John McArthur mother. We haven't found anything in Scotland for John but have his marriage certificate.  No birth or where has surfaced but he was in Cathcart,Renfrewshire at the time of his marriage held at Cambuslang 2 Dec 1856. These entries interest me and hop there is more info. No 73. James Smith died or buried 5 Jul 1854 aged 89. His wife Margaret Mior 13 Jan 1835 aged 70. dau, Margaret 9 Oct 1856 aged 55, it then says s Jas, Superintendant of Police, Glasgow.  Our John McArthur, used to be a Sunday School President at patersonia, Tasmania where died and is buried in the churchyard in Tasmania and he was a lay preacher.  This makes me wonder if James Smith was a Church Minister (I know there was a Rev James Smith in CAthcart, but no details) and they brought him up. Johns Marr Cert says his father was Duncan McArthur amd mther Margaret Smith, but no marriage for his parents. John would have been living in Cathcart at the time of this Margarets death and burial, then he had marriage banns at Cathcart, but married in Cambulang then he and Isabella Stevenson, his wife left for Tasmania on the Broomielaw on the 20th Dec 1856. He has left no details in any document. His wife Isabella left a illegitimate dau, that a nice lady on Rootschat helped me with and we have since  located famiy of that daughter on the mainland Australia. Stevenson family as well. No McArthur DNA has emerged in Familytreedna, MyHeritage or Ancestry.com to date. What happened to the son James the Superintendant of Police at Glasgow as his family may help.  Thanks for any clues.

Offline Orontes57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Sunday 01 August 21 00:57 BST (UK) »
James Smith wife ws Margaret Muir,