Author Topic: Cathcart, Cathcart Old Parish and Linn  (Read 82238 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cathcart, Cathcart Old Parish and Linn
« Reply #27 on: Friday 25 July 08 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Lora,

I've just noticed from your signature you've got Kinniburghs.

Where were they from? I have a friend who also has Kinniburghs and anytime I come across a stone, I take photos for her.  From memory, I've know I've got photos of stones from New Monkland, Old Monkland, Auld Aisle (Kirkintilloch) and Tollcross but I'd need to check to actually give you a list.

Interested?

Anne

Offline FintryGirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Our Home in Fintry - The one past Mom & her dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 02 August 08 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave or Anyone Else who visits the Cathcart Cemetery,

I'm trying again,  looking for my ancestors gravestone you didn't have any luck the day you originally went for me, but with Anne's suggestions etc. you said you might be back to Cathcart Cemetery some day.. Just wondering when you do keep me in mind, Here is the information again

Section 2F   Lair644

INTERMENTS
30 April 1926 William B Gray 41 years (I think it should read Walter Bruce)
07 Jan 1937 Phyllis Gray 43 years
03 Feb 1941 Janet L Gray 26 years 

Thanks from Canada
Rita
Meffen, McEwan, Eggleton, Bryson, Gray, Cobb

damnonii

« Reply #29 on: Saturday 02 August 08 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Rita

I will have another look next time I'm there.  I'll see if I can find some numbers on the graves so at least I can say if the stone is face down.

Lora

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 02 August 08 23:36 BST (UK) »
Lora,
last time I was there I went right round 2F and couldn't find the stone.
At that time I was looking for the name, unaware that some stones are numbered (Anne put me right there but I've not been back since).
Hope you find it.  You obviously go more often than me.

What type of dog do you have?  I said hello to a couple of folk walking dogs when I was there - it'd be funny if one was you ;D

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

damnonii

« Reply #31 on: Sunday 03 August 08 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Rita

Got some good news and bad news

The good news...

The plaque reads:

A token of respect
and esteem
to the memory of
Walter Gray
who died ??th of April 192?
_________

from
the Coalmen of
Govanhill

The bad news....

I found some numbers and I'm almost certain the space behind Walter's plaque is lair 644 (i.e. the plaque may have originally been in that position or placed at the back of an original stone), whether there was another plaque there which has disintegrated or there was never a family stone at all I don't know.

pm me your email address and I'll send you the photos. 

I'm not surprised you didn't find it Dave! Not only is the stone very hard to read (I think I was there at the right time, it had just rained and then the sun came out highlighting the writing a bit) but it took me a while to work out the numbering, apparently 2F is split down the middle so there's 2 columns of numbering. 

I have a golden retriever, she's probably most likely to be seen lying down in the middle of the grass staring bemusedly at me rather than actually doing any walking herself. She's getting on a bit.  Nevertheless I'm dreading when she goes because then I'll just be that crazy lady (and her dad) who wanders round the graveyard.  I'll keep an eye out for you (although I will be looking for a gentleman with a large beard  ;D not that I'm much like maw 'cadam though lol)

btw I decided to have a look at Cathcart Old churchyard the other day since I've never been in and I never even knew there was a covenanter's grave there.  Unfortunately all the gates were locked and I had no option but to go over the broken wall.  Have they closed it off permanently? Or are the gates open sometimes?  I never got time to have a proper look and I'd like to go back.

Lora.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 07 August 08 19:33 BST (UK) »
That was brilliant finding that Lora.  Well done.   Rita is well pleased.  I had a PM from her.

I'll watch out for the retriever the next time I'm at Cathcart and will say hello to the old dog (the one lying down  ;D ;D ;D).

As for Old Parish, I've never seen the gates open since I was a teenager.  Like you, I climb the wall.  The broken bit off Carmunnock Road has been fenced off.  There is another bit round the back, near the covenanters grave which can still be scaled but it's not easy and I've had a few disapproving looks from the residents (of the local houses, not the graveyard).  I contacted Neil Galbraith, the minister, about access but the church has nothing to do with the graveyard any longer - run and 'maintained' by the Council now.

I've got another thread going you may want to look at, a couple of photos on there too.....   
http://www.rootschat.com/links/040o/

Look forward to bumping into you sometime. 

Dave.

-------------------

damnonii

« Reply #33 on: Thursday 07 August 08 23:56 BST (UK) »
I miss beardy  ;D

I love the old pic you've got of the church on the other thread, in the days when Buckfast was still a medicinal tonic  ;D
I was shocked to see them actually 'maintaining' big Cathcart recently, but it seems to involve shoring up some graves next to the entrances to make a good impression then b******** off (scuze the language).  We'll see though. 

I just realised, should this thread be linked to in the Renfrewshire forum since Cathcart Cemetery is technically in East Ren? I would guess that in practice there's probably more burials from the Lanarkshire side of the border, since East Ren is covered by Eastwood Cemetery too, but there's definitely some Giffnock folk and others.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 08 August 08 02:20 BST (UK) »
I reckon by now Lora that most folk that look at the posts here will be looking at the Renfrewshire
 posts too. And vice versa. 

I tend to watch all the Scottish threads.

Anyone searching for Cathcart should come across the various posts we've made but it would do no
harm to mention them in
Renfrewshire as well.  Really valid comment.

My concern is that we end up with duplication - I've made that mistake a few times.

If you do think it's worthwhile posting it on Renfs., it would be worth cross-referring it and
asking folk to post responses on our main thread ... here.

Beardy may return........

added a wee bit later.....

amazing whit a shave and a wee bit make up does!
-------------------

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 08 August 08 02:53 BST (UK) »
PPS
Comments about avatars are lost after the moment!
Good fun at the time though. ;D
-------------------