Author Topic: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes  (Read 149159 times)

Offline mike1321

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
I am looking to trace back information about my grandfathers involvement in the RAOB. His name was Brother Herbert G. Ward and would have spent time in lodge 2319 from 1966 onwards.  Much of his involvement was based in Derby, East Midlands. I have various medals for services and if anyone can shed some light on any background history or information, that would be much appreciated.

Regards

Mike

Offline Kevvo7132

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

If you can post pics of the jewels I'll do my best to identify and give you the background for why he would have recieved them.

It would also be useful for tracing his buffalo career as they would normally have dates and lodge names inscribed.

Regards
Kevin

Offline kittykateuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 23:14 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to identify the medals in this photo of my Great-Great Grandfather  John "Jack" Hainsworth (1846-1912).  The one in the centre looks very similar to your cross.

I don't really have anything else other than this photo.  I know he was a weaver in North Brierly, Yorkshire from the censuses.

Do you happen to recognise the other two medals?

I really do appreciate any insight you can offer, as I'm a bit lost as to where I can start researching this.

Can I post this again just in case anyone has any suggestions?

My local RAOB lodge thinks the middle jewel means he was a knight.  They don't think the lodge he attended exists anymore, so I'm not sure where to look now.

Do the other jewels look familiar to anyone?

Offline Charles Darney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday 27 October 09 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Please find a photograph of my Granddads certificate, I was informed my Granddad used to go to the Grove Public House on Canal Street Nottingham for his meetings.

Hopefull Geoff

Offline Charles Darney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Sunday 01 November 09 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi if anyone on here would like any info on the buffaloes just post on here and I will see what I can get for you (prob not a lot) but could lead you in the right direction .
What I do have are records of where lodge met the Lodge name and number,
so if you find some old jewels or papers from your family just ask.
I am a member of the order and try to record items of intrest for the future
Den
or my title
Bro Den Whittenbury R O H.
PS if I dont reply within a couple of days PM me ;)
I'm new to this site so I hope you will bear with me. I have posted a message on Page 8 at the bottom Charles Darney, If you could read it and let me know if you can help. Thanks Geoff Hall

Offline paulma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Sunday 29 November 09 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have always suspected that my grandfather  John Mason b 1889 Derbyshire d 1944 Doncaster was a member of the RAOB.He wore a badge on his jacket but for all I know he may have nicked it since much I know about him is not true
I believe he may have attended a branch at Penistone Yorkshire which may tie in with The Spread Eagle pub which was run by my ancestors The Singletons in the 1900's.Might he have been recruited during WW1
How can I check.Does a secret sociaty publish a list of its past dead members ????
Thanks
Paul

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Sunday 29 November 09 22:20 GMT (UK) »
My maternal great-grandfather Wilfred Donkersley was a member of the RAOB, Hand o'Friendship Lodge, Stocksbridge, WRY.  My paternal grandad Jack Pearson was a member of a (different) local lodge that met in another local pub in the village, the Castle Inn.  You will find that a lot of these RAOB groups met in pubs.  In fact my father tells me that their other name was - apologies - the Rat Arsed Old Buggers.  Or, more politely, the Boozy Buffs.  But I think this discredits the very good work that they did.
Somewhere I have a photo of the Sheffield RAOB HQ decorated for a Royal Visit.  I have his jewels and some lovely photos of regalia sent to me by another researcher if anyone wants me to post them.
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Kevvo7132

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Sunday 29 November 09 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire,

Believe it or not to some of our wives/girlfriends, we're STILL known as the Boozy Buffs!
Would love to see the pics you have, might even be able to identify them for others who may have similar and wonder what they are :)

Regards
Kevin

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Sunday 29 November 09 22:47 GMT (UK) »
OK, I will sort all the photos out tomorrow and post them - been on the homebrew tonight, which must make boozing part of the family!  My ancestors were also maltsters and brewers as well as boozers, so I am at the mercy of my genes!
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)