Author Topic: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes  (Read 148426 times)

Offline sjn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: R.A.O.B. or Buffaloes
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday 08 September 09 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have recently discovered that my great-grandfather was a member of the RAOB, and I have now been sent the attached photographs of a medal/jewel (sorry, I don't know the distinction!) which is in the possession of my mother's cousin.

I have been reading about the RAOB, and its history, and have been looking for similar items on sites like e-bay, but I have not yet had any luck finding out more about this particular medal/jewel, or about the likely background to my great-grandfather's membership.

I cannot make out the entire inscription on the reverse, other than "presented by.... to Bro. William Jones, Dec 18, 1895".  My great-grandfather was born in 1863, and went to work in the shipyard in Millwall (Isle of Dogs/Poplar) in the mid-1880s, working there until his death in 1900.  (Incidentally, William Jones was the name by which he was known at the time, although it was not his real name!)  He lived in Millwall, but I don't know where the nearest lodge would have been.  I'm thinking somewhere in Poplar... does anyone know if there was one there?

Any help, hints, etc, would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Siobhan

Offline oban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Saturday 17 October 09 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hello

I wonder if anyne can help me with this picture.  My gt grandfather is seated second from left on the front row. 
I am not sure when this photo was taken, or where.  He lived in Kent (Canterbury and Sheppey) before moving to Southampton, Hampshire.
There seems to be a picture of a buffalo on the aprons; I am curious to discover what the varying initials represent on the 'banners' around their necks.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Offline Kevvo7132

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Saturday 17 October 09 22:36 BST (UK) »
Wonderful Pic!

I can certainly explain the collars of office for you.

Your GGF was CW (City Waiter) for the month and as such would see that all members had refreshments available.
On his right is the City Secretary, responsible for the lodge's administration.
on his left is the Sitting Primo, who would have been in the chair of the lodge for the month.
next is the City Marshal, who would assist the SP in his duties.
then we have the City Tyler, would would allow entrance to latecomers after checking credentials.
Second left in the second row is the City Registrar, responsible for collecting regidtration fees and seeing that the members sign in.
next to him is the City Chamberlain, who would see that all members are properly attired and would act as a kind of Maitre'D within the lodge.
two along from him is the City Treasurer, who, as the name suggests, would be in charge of lodge finances.
Standing beside him is the City Minstrel, who would lead the lodge in singing the toast to absent brethren and the National Anthem.
the two officers in the back row are the City Constable, responsible for collecting ant fines imposed by the Sitting Primo, and the Alderman of Benevolence, responsible for recommending any payment to a brother in need. The AB would traditionally be the previous month's Sitting Primo.

Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Kevin

Offline oban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Saturday 17 October 09 23:41 BST (UK) »
Crikey - that info is brilliant. 

So is this a Buffalo Lodge?  Is there any way I could find out which Lodge this was?  That way I would be able to pinpoint when the picture was taken.

How would the system work, if he moved from one part of the country to another, would he automatically be accepted into another Lodge? 

From your post it sounds like they only held posts for a month, were/are there people who held posts longer and would these posts be voted on by other members or were they taken in turn?

Sorry so many questions, but this is all very new to me.

Thank you.

Offline Kevvo7132

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Sunday 18 October 09 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hi oban

Yes it is most definitely a Buffalo lodge, and the only way to find out which one this might be would be if you could get hold of any jewels he may have been presented, and check any inscriptions on them.
If a buff moves around the country, they can go to any buff lodge and would be welcomed, even if just for  single visit. If he relocated permanently he could transfer to a lodge in his new area and any voting standing he may have had in his previous lodge could also be transferred.
Most of the offices are held on a monthly basis, voted by the brothers, except for the trustees, secretary and treasurer. Those particular offices are called "will and pleasure" offices and the same brother can hold them for as long as the other brothers of the lodge are happy for them to do so.

Kevin

Offline sjn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Sunday 18 October 09 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm still trying to find out something about my great-grandad's involvement in the Buffaloes (in the Poplar area of London, I am assuming), and am still making no headway.

If anyone recognises the type of medal/ribbon in the photos I posted (just a few messages back), and can shed light on 'where' etc, I would be very, very thrilled.

Many thanks,
Siobhan

Offline Kevvo7132

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 18 October 09 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Siobhan,

I had a closer look at the pictures you posted, and although I don't recognise the actual Jewel I think it may well have been awarded to him for Services to the lodge, or possibly as a personal gift from another brother.

I'm not familiar with the history of lodges in the east end, but may be able to check with older brothers, though I doubt I will have much luck given the fact that this is over a century ago!
Be prepared for a bit more of a wait, and also, is it possible to get a clearer pic of the inscription on the reverse, this may allow me to work out the other name :)

Regards,
Kevin

Offline sjn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Sunday 18 October 09 12:17 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply, Kevin.

I haven't come across any mention of a lodge in the Poplar area, either, so far... but I'll keep my fingers crossed that some info will turn up!

I'll try and get hold of a clearer image... unfortunately the jewel is currently in a nursing home in Ireland (!), so isn't easily accessible.  Maybe some more work on Photoshop will throw up some more detail... I'll have a go!

Well, even if I never manage to find out any more about my great-grandad's involvement, at least it has been very interesting reading all the information about the RAOB, of which I previously knew nothing.

Thanks again.

Best wishes
Siobhan

Offline vowles

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Sunday 18 October 09 18:57 BST (UK) »
My Dad, John Kenneth Wagstaff was a member of the Elm Tree Lodge , they me t at the Cocked Hat  pub in Broxtowe , Nottingham .I  have  photo of him in his regalia also christmas 1959 buffs children's party with me and my sisters and brother . Every year they held a party for members children and through the year took us all on trips to skeggy or the zoo .I wonder if there are more photographs in the lodges archives that are available.
            Marie