Author Topic: Mill Pond Brightling  (Read 6082 times)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mill Pond Brightling
« on: Monday 21 January 08 14:25 GMT (UK) »
In the 1871 and 1881 censuses I have ancestors living at Mill Pond --presumably cottages. Both were Millers at Darwell Mill. On a visit to the area we found the remains of the mill but could not find the cottages. In 1871 census it says Mill Pond 4th part.Can anyone enlighten me.
Thanks
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mill Pond Brightling
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 January 08 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ringrose

Have you tried searching on www.old-maps.co.uk

I'm just going to have a look myself, I pass through Brightling most days on my way home from work so I think I know some possibilities.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 January 08 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Ringrose

Had a look on Old Maps and found the Darwell Mill which ground corn, the remains of which are in Darwell Wood.  Hope that's the one you mean, my partner and I had an explore of the remains last spring, last time we had a walk there.

I don't know that there were any cottages actually there where the mill was but there is a row of cottages which remain to this day at what would have been the other end of the Mill Pond.  They are at the entrance to the car park for Darwell Wood.  I'll see if I can find anything else.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 January 08 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Ringrose

I tried the Sussex Mill Group website which is always full of information and found this information about the Mill.

http://www.sussexmillsgroup.org.uk/corres.htm#Hague

Kerry

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry
Yes you are on the right track. The Mill is derelict and I did manage to get some pictures but am so annoyed with myself at not finding the cottages.We were doing so much in that day that time was short to potter around. I would be grateful for any help.
I have put info on the Mills website about Darwell and Coxes Mill.

Cheers

Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Ringrose

I'm not sure whereabouts you are but if you need any more photos of either the mill or the cottages please feel free to ask.  We are quite local and walk in the woods there quite often.

Kerry  :)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry,
Im in Windsor . Any pictures would be really appreciated. As you are local have you ever heard of The Toll House Dallington or Giffords Toll? In 1851 my 3 times ggrandfather lived there. I did find Giffords Farm just outside Dallington on the main road which is where another ggrandfather on the other side of family lived  as a Farmer. My grandmother is buried in Brightling Church as are earlier relatives.I was evacuated to Great Worg Farm with my granparents and mother in the early 1940s from West London. My grandmother died in Stone House in 1941.I did visit Great Worg Farm a few years back but I did not remember it--it did match a black and white photograph I had though.My ggrandmother married in Dallington Church so you see I have lots of interest in the area. Thanks  Ringrose

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 21:47 GMT (UK) »
How weird Ringrose :o :o

My great great great grandmother lived and died at Giffords Farm.  I took some pictures of it from the road not many months ago.  I've not heard of Giffords Toll of the Toll House but I will see what I can find.  Presumably you must know all the follies if you were in Brightling? 

The Dallington/Brightling area has always been one of my favourite places in the world and I never really knew why, till I found out that most of my ancestors came from there!  ;D  I feel at home.

Kerry

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 February 08 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry
Sorry about delay in replying---computer crashed and we had to wait till our son came to put it right.Do you know Prinkle Farm in Dallington.My Sutton ancestors lived there and a ggggrandmother committed suicide there by cutting her throat.It got a direct hit in the war so I did not see the original building. My gggrandmother whose father John Nightingale lived at Giffords Farm was married in Dallington Church in 1867.
I have only visited the area twice in recent years so I do not know a great deal about the place.I did buy the millenium book on Dallington and was thrilled to find references to my Clark Millers at Darwell and Coxes mill.

Cheers

Maureen