Author Topic: Garvey Family of Dundalk?  (Read 8144 times)

Offline Christine52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary Ann Garvey Madden abt. 1905
    • View Profile
Garvey Family of Dundalk?
« on: Wednesday 23 January 08 07:11 GMT (UK) »
My g-grandparents were Michael and Bridget Garvey.  They lived in Belfast from at least 1907 (per street directory and 1911 census) but they were natives of Co. Louth (very probably Dundalk).  Michael Garvey was a butcher by trade.  I would love to find out more about them.  It could be that before going to Belfast that Michael practiced his trade in Louth.  It looks like most of the family made the move to Belfast.  At least one of their sons, possibly 2 or 3 of them, ended up in the USA.  My great-uncle, Michael Garvey ended up in Detroit, Michigan, USA.

In the census taken in Belfast in 1911, Michael was listed as being 62 years old and Bridget 57.  Also shown on that census were some of their adult children:   James, 29; Owen, 27; Bridget, 22; and my visiting grandmother, Mary Ann "Molly" Garvey Madden, 36.

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated as I've been looking for my Irish family for a long, long time.
Michael Garvey (a butcher by trade) m. Bridget Sharkey both natives of Co. Louth.
Patrick Madden m. Mary Garvey, (He was a constable in RIC, joined in Galway and served in Belfast, Sligo, Fermanaugh and Tyrone.  She was daughter of Michael and Bridget Garvey)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Garvey Family of Dundalk?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Could this be the family?
Michael Garvey - Bridget Sharkey:
1. Mary Ann born 15 Mar.1873 Dundalk dist.
2. Catharine born 15 Mar.1875 Dundalk dist.
3. Patrick Joseph born 7 June 1877 Ireland
4. James born 21 Nov.1880 Co. Louth
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christine52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Yes!  This is very likely my family.  My grandmother's birthday was on 15 Mar and she died on her 80th birthday in 1953, making the birth year shown below exact.  Thank you so much. 

It appears that my g-mother's sister Catharine (also known as "Bridget"?) shared her birthday.  That must run in my family -  my older sister shares my birthday too.

Could this be the family?   
Michael Garvey - Bridget Sharkey:
1. Mary Ann born 15 Mar.1873 Dundalk dist.
2. Catharine born 15 Mar.1875 Dundalk dist.
3. Patrick Joseph born 7 June 1877 Ireland
4. James born 21 Nov.1880 Co. Louth

Where did you find this information?   I'd really like to dig deeper and maybe find other descendants.

Thanks so much. 

Christine
Michael Garvey (a butcher by trade) m. Bridget Sharkey both natives of Co. Louth.
Patrick Madden m. Mary Garvey, (He was a constable in RIC, joined in Galway and served in Belfast, Sligo, Fermanaugh and Tyrone.  She was daughter of Michael and Bridget Garvey)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Found the family on IGI by doing a parent search with father's first and last name and mother's first name (since I didn't know her maiden names).

Offline Christine52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 January 08 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again.  I'm going to look at the IGI site too.  Since the 1901 census is not online yet, is there another source for Dundalk that you know of that would provide more information?  What about church records?  Do people normally contact individual parish churches? 

Christine

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 January 08 13:30 GMT (UK) »
First place you should check is LDS site. After looking at IGI and other records online go to catalogue (see tabs at top of LDS page) and see what records have been microfilmed for Dundalk and if they cover the period you need. If so, the films can be ordered from your local LDS library for a small fee to view there.
Also, put something like 'County Louth records', 'Dundalk records', 1901 Lough census', etc. into a search engine like Google and see what comes up.

Offline Christine52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 January 08 14:13 GMT (UK) »
I didn't know what IGI meant till I did a google search, which led to the LDS site.  Then downloaded a GED file but couldn't open it because I've yet to purchase genealogy software.  There is a LDS center nearby so I might try to download and open the file there.  In the meantime, I'll look at the catalog suggestions you made. 

My husband, my14 year old daughter and I hope to visit Ireland in the summer of 2009 and it would be wonderful to see all of the places where the family originated and lived.

Thanks, Christine

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 January 08 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Glad that you've found a few clues already. The more information you have before you plan your trip to Ireland the better.

Offline plimmerian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 April 15 19:12 BST (UK) »
Finally had a break through with my Irish ancestor, here is a little back ground knowledge:-

Houghton St, Earlestown, Newton In Makerfield
Ellen POWELL head 64 widow b. Dundock, Ireland

Death
08th June 1920, at 99 Guardian Street, Warrington
Elinor otherwise Ellen Powell
Female
75 years
Of 10 Booth Street, Newton in Makerfield
Widow of James Powell, furnaceman at glass bottle works
-
Informant - A. O'Connor, son, 17 Bunce Street, Chester

(She was previously Mrs Naylor and Mrs O' Connor)

Her maiden name appears to be Garvey according to her son's (Andrew) details found and a matching marriage on the rootsireland site - English marriage certificates have it as Harvey and Garvey!

An Elenor Garvey was baptised in 1844 in Dundalk, the daughter of John and Bridget (nee Sheils or Sheals) and I am guessing this is her!

I am struggling now to find further details on the website to confirm the John Garvey and Bridget births, a possible marriage took place on 01 July 1842, in Dundalk but only Bridget's residence of Dowdallshill is listed. No occupations are listed there either!

I just wondered if I had got the research right up to now, back in Ireland, as now I know most of the English link is correct.

Thanks!