Author Topic: Sculcoates Workhouse Infirmary  (Read 41991 times)

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Sculcoates Workhouse Infirmary
« on: Wednesday 23 January 08 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Does anyone know aything about the Sculcoates Workhouse Infirmary? My GG grandmother died there in 1915. Was there still a workhouse or was it just an infirmary? Her death certificate gave her address, so I don't think she was actually in the workhouse.
Just wondered why she would be in a workhouse hospital and not an ordinary one.

Thanks
Gill
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sculcoates Workhouse Infirmary
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Just doing a bit ofsearching around myself.
Does anyone know, could 160 Beverley Road be the workhouse?

My GG grandfather (husband of the above) had his place of death as 160 Beverley Road, Hull in 1922. Searching around, I have found an address of 161 Beverley Rd which was part of the workhouse. I wonder if the informant thought that an address instead of 'workhouse' sounded better.

Regards,
`Gill
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 13:05 GMT (UK) »
workhouses were sometimes the only access to medical care that people had thus they were ill and went to the workhouse to seek medical care but unfortunately died.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gill

One of my g.aunts died in  Hull Workhouse  aged 13 of Cardiac Dropsy, in October 1903.  She was an orphan,  her younger brother had been put into a children's home in Hull (but there is no record of her having gone there) and her older brothers went into the army, her older sisters lived locally, so I'm assuming it was the hospital where she died and not the workhouse as such.  Indeed she was one of the witnesses at her eldest sister's wedding 5 months earlier, which makes me think she didn't live in the workhouse.  Unfortunately there is no other info available as to where she lived after the 1901 census and prior to her death.

Her death certificate just states Hull Workhouse, her married sister was the informant but it doesn't state she was present at her death.

If you go to www.hullcc.gov.uk/ then click on  Family History on the left hand side of the home page, then go down the family history page, you will find a database called Photographs of Hull.  On there are photos of the workhouse.  I have bought copies of them, but copyright stops me putting them on here.

Lizzie

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, there are only 2 small pics of the workhouse on the Hull CC site and it suggests they might be a hospital.  I have the photographs of the workhouse from another site, I'll try to find it.

Lizzie

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gill

Try the following page on the workhouses.org.uk site.  Lots of info there.

www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Sculcoates/Sculcoates.shtml

Lizzie

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for all that, Lizzie.
I'll have a look around some of those sites.

Regards,
Gill

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 January 08 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi

As I understand it, 160 Beverley Road was the address of the Sculcoates Union Workhouse, and anybody that died in there, unless buried by relatives, were buried in a section of the cemetery on Sculcoates Lane (north side), 3 people to a grave :(

Bee
 :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 January 08 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Bee

Is that cemetery on Sculcoates Lane still there and would it be possible to find out if a ancestor had been buried there?  I know another cemetery where another branch of the family were probably buried was badly damaged during the war and now, apparently, has a main road running over it.

Lizzie