Author Topic: Sculcoates Workhouse Infirmary  (Read 42096 times)

Offline antiquarian_m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sculcoates Workhouse Infirmary
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 16:06 GMT (UK) »
I read your message and thought surely not, not after all these years.
I asked my wife if she would drive me there to check it out, ( I am disabled) sure enough it has been fenced in, as we drove up, three workmen drove away.
 Apparently while I was in a hospital, a petition went around requesting it was regenerated,  I hope it is to do that, and not simply remove the stones.
Bibby Hull and Wigan.  Rewston Hull Lincolnshire. Reeve Lincolnshire

Offline mrs_tease

• RootsChat Member
  • Arthur Simon 1869 - 1922
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 January 08 05:40 GMT (UK) »
if I get chance today (I'm at work) I will try and contact the council and see whats happening with it

it seems a bit odd that only one side of the cemetary is fenced off and the other left open though
Simon (Lincolnshire,Yorkshire)Boyd, Walters, Percy, Richardson (Lincolnshire) Mckay, Bateman (Hull)Ellis (Lincolnshire,Hull)

Offline mrs_tease

• RootsChat Member
  • Arthur Simon 1869 - 1922
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 February 08 09:08 GMT (UK) »
I finally received an answer to the many phone calls on this cemetary. At first no-one had any idea of the whereabouts of the key, but today I received this email from the bereavements dept.

Unfortunately I am unable help with regards to the gates at the Sculcoates Cemetery. The cemetery is still actually owned by the Diocese of York.
I have today spoken to Mr Tony Saxby telephone number 318025 or 331946 who has advised that he is aware there is a chain on the gate, but it should not be locked. Please do not hesitate to contact Mr Saxby, from the area team should you have an further queries

I hope this helps any visitors wanting to gain access
Simon (Lincolnshire,Yorkshire)Boyd, Walters, Percy, Richardson (Lincolnshire) Mckay, Bateman (Hull)Ellis (Lincolnshire,Hull)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 02 February 08 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Mrs Tease

Glad you were able to get an answer from someone at last.  ;)

Lizzie

Offline antiquarian_m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 February 08 18:31 GMT (UK) »
I happened to go past Sculcoates cemetery today, as we passed we stopped near the gates, about four city council vans were parked up, a gang of workmen were clearing the overgrown grave yard, It looks like they are cutting it well back, I hope so and not getting ready to clear the old stones that are leaning over, but they will need to spend a considerable sum to straighten them up...Fingers crossed, I shall keep you informed.
Bibby Hull and Wigan.  Rewston Hull Lincolnshire. Reeve Lincolnshire

Offline Jeano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello,I am sure that the Kingston General Hospital on Beverley Road WAS the old Sculcoates Workhouse/hospital.Just as the old Anlaby Road Hospital(Western General) was the old workhouse /hospital there too-that is now the Hull Royal Infirmary-which has replaced the old one from in Prospect St. My mother in 1950s had spells in both of the hospitals,Kingston G and Western G.Hope this helps.I was born -lived in Hull for years,my sister and members of the family are still there.Jeano
Haram-all spellings-Anywhere.Stephens/Stevens -Bethnal Green.Jordan/Jordain-Hull/Brixham .Grundy-Liverpool area/Hull.Wade-Northants/Bucks.Swale-Halifax /Hull.Culpan-Halifax area.Emmerson-Yorkshire/Canada.Leng-Yorkshire.Gibbon-Yorkshire/Canada.stuff::)

Offline Jeano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Can I ask Lizzie please-your Gilchrist-would you have a George William Gilchrist born in Hull 1875 if so would he have married in Hull in 1901?I have a Mignonette Haram married such a man then.Thanks.Jeano
Haram-all spellings-Anywhere.Stephens/Stevens -Bethnal Green.Jordan/Jordain-Hull/Brixham .Grundy-Liverpool area/Hull.Wade-Northants/Bucks.Swale-Halifax /Hull.Culpan-Halifax area.Emmerson-Yorkshire/Canada.Leng-Yorkshire.Gibbon-Yorkshire/Canada.stuff::)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 February 08 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Jeano

Sorry, no.  I've sent you a PM regarding this.

Lizzie

Offline Jeano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 23 February 08 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lizzie.Jeano