Author Topic: Sculcoates Workhouse Infirmary  (Read 42124 times)

Offline jaydee1947

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sculcoates Workhouse Infirmary
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 02 August 08 18:38 BST (UK) »

further to your report regarding the Sculcoates Graveyard , I can tell you that it is now open (as at 27/07/08) although there is a padlock on the gate it is not locked. I have had reason to visit recently and in spite of the overgrown condition I was able to find a grave I was looking for.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 11:06 BST (UK) »

further to your report regarding the Sculcoates Graveyard , I can tell you that it is now open (as at 27/07/08) although there is a padlock on the gate it is not locked. I have had reason to visit recently and in spite of the overgrown condition I was able to find a grave I was looking for.

Thanks, that's good to know, maybe it was temporarily closed
while they checked or repaired any damage from last years flood.

Bee  :)

ps. welcome to rootschat  :D
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annepink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 09:20 BST (UK) »
According to his birth certificate my grandfather was born in Sculcoates workhouse 162 Beverley road in February 1901 my great grandmother his mother was at the time was a widow (I cant find any workhouse records) but when the census took place a month later his mother was back living with her parents (granddad not listed) she eventually moved and remarried and my granddad was brought up by her 2nd husband. I understand the shame attached to these circumstances in those days but we are wondering if her family wouldn't have her at home for the birth or if she went to the workhouse for medical assistance Any thoughts

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne and welcome to Rootschat,

Here is some info on Hull Workhouses that may help:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Hull/Hull.shtml

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline annepink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 11:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carole I did have some of this information but I thankyou anyway What I am hoping to find is actual records of the workhouse

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 12:11 BST (UK) »
Here is another link that may be of help Ann:

http://www.eyfhs.org.uk/content/helper/helping-history.php

Carolwithoutan "e"  ;D
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Homesoil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 04 October 09 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am a volunteer at the Sculcoates Northern Cemetery and it has been recognised as part of a green wildlife corridor running through Hull with a high score for biodiversity. It has been renovated by the Sculcoates Neighbourhood Association and Friends of the Earth, among others. It is open to the public and the gates or not locked even though they look like they might be  :o
On Saturday we had an event day where members of the public and other organisations like the local family history group attended to share information about relatives that may have been buried there.
Certain graves have been identified by members of the public and a path to those graves have been cut through the vegetation. Unattended graves will be maintained as a managed wildlife area.
It really is a beautiful place to visit (I think) but a large project nonetheless and hopefully in time the litter ridden, overgrown cemetery on the south side will get the same treatment.
Here is a link to the Family History Group in the area if anyone would like any more information.
http://www.sculcoatesneighbourhoodassociation.co.uk/SNA/Family_History_Group.html
and as my interest is more directed at the wildlife side of things I have created a website to focus on that.
http://www.sculcoates.info
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 29 October 09 09:13 GMT (UK) »
It really is a beautiful place to visit (I think) but a large project nonetheless and hopefully in time the litter ridden, overgrown cemetery on the south side will get the same treatment.

Totally agree it's almost a world of it's own. 
I paid a brief visit yesterday and though it was warm and sunny I think I'll take someone with me next time, though I was surprised by how well some of the headstones have stood the test of time.

Bee
 :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 29 October 09 12:54 GMT (UK) »
I doubt anyone who died in the workhouse would have a gravestone.