Author Topic: Sculcoates Workhouse Infirmary  (Read 42108 times)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sculcoates Workhouse Infirmary
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 January 08 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lizzie
Yes, the cemetery is still there, but it's rather overgrown, or it was when I was last there about 2 years ago.
The East Yorkshire FHS have done the MI's for the cemetery and I know that there is a copy in the local studies section of the Central Library in Hull because I've had a look through it.

If you give some names, I can have a look next time I'm in Hull.

Cemetery with a main road running over it? I assume that's the one on Castle Street near the marina, though some of it still exists.

Bee
 :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 January 08 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bee

My g.aunt was called Selina Benson.  She died 27 October 1903 aged 13 at Hull Workhouse.  Her father died in 1893 (in 1891 they were in Havelock Street, Newington) and her mother in 1901 when she was living in Tichborne Terrace, Bean Street, so not in the workhouse, so  I don't know where they would have been buried and maybe their daughter is in a grave with them somewhere. 

The other cemetery I was talking about is one that was near Hessle Road.  I don't know Hull at all,  I was told that cemetery no longer exists.

Lizzie

Offline antiquarian_m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 January 08 21:28 GMT (UK) »
I am in a wheelchair at the moment  but often drove past sculcoates cemetary, yes it is overgrown and is in a sorry state, a few years ago  some volunteers started tidying the place up, sadly to no avail.
I believe the council got permission to 'smarten' the place until the church people found that meant bulldozing the stones, fortunately that was stopped.
The cemetary is next to a Tannary factory, the smell is gut wrenching at times, personaly I think thats its salvation!
What is special about Sculcoates is the art work on the graves, One I am particular that comes to mind is the NEWMARCH  headstone, the names of all the battlefields the military bag, sword, rifle and even his hat to name a few.( I think its the Peninsular war)
Another is a carving of an old fishing smack (and the boats name)giving details of the sailor lost at sea..
Finally rows and rows of small stones with just the poor souls initials on them from the workouse.
In my opinion wellingtons a stick and a camera, are worth the visit, but god, what a smell!
Bibby Hull and Wigan.  Rewston Hull Lincolnshire. Reeve Lincolnshire

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 January 08 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi
This link to the Hull archives about cemeteries might be of interest http://www.rootschat.com/links/02lc/

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 January 08 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Bee

Thanks for the link.  I wrote to the Cemeteries dept. about a year ago, but didn't hear anything from the people there.  However, I often contact the Hull CC Archives, so will write to them again to ask if they can point me in the right direction.

Antiquarian - You've not sold me on the idea of a trip to Hull, it's a long way from Hampshire.  ;D ;D

Lizzie

Offline antiquarian_m

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 January 08 23:31 GMT (UK) »
I am not surprised  you not vixiting Lizzie,  anymore flooding you will need a BOAT! ;D
Bibby Hull and Wigan.  Rewston Hull Lincolnshire. Reeve Lincolnshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 January 08 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, I'd forgotten the rain.  We've had it here too but not much flooding fortunately.

Lizzie

Offline mrs_tease

• RootsChat Member
  • Arthur Simon 1869 - 1922
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 10:50 GMT (UK) »
just driven past this graveyard.

its REALLY overgrown now plus the fencing around it is pretty high with a chain around the gate, padlocked so I'm not sure how you gain access to it now.

Theres alot of new houses being built next door to it aswell so its a little muddy right now
Simon (Lincolnshire,Yorkshire)Boyd, Walters, Percy, Richardson (Lincolnshire) Mckay, Bateman (Hull)Ellis (Lincolnshire,Hull)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 11:03 GMT (UK) »
I geuss you would have to contact the Council.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive