Author Topic: Help finding a burial  (Read 2954 times)

Offline boop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding a burial
« on: Thursday 24 January 08 00:15 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother died in 1922 aged 22 in the Eastern District Hospital which later became known as Duke St. Hospital, her usual residence was Soho St. Bridgeton can anyone help me find out where she is buried. I have tried the Glasgow Cemeteries and Crematoria Dept. but with no joy, they don't seem to have a record of a burial for her. Does anyone know where else I could try. Would she be buried in a graveyard that was nearest to her home? Any help would be much appreciated as I would love to visit her grave.
Boop

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding a burial
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 January 08 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boop..Just putting down a marker soI can follow this thread as I have a similar query regarding my grandmother too ... Hope you dont mind  ;)
Poll
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline gaucho

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 January 08 23:01 GMT (UK) »
If her family were originally from a rural area outside Glasgow she might be buried there. If the Cemetery people don't have a record I would think she wasn't buried in Glasgow. Did you contact the right people? there are a few posts on here about who to contact, eg
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,266171.0.html
McGowan, Dunlop, Watson, Kerr, Rickelton, McLachlan, Devine, Glasgow

Offline boop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 January 08 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply Gaucho but my grandmother was born and brought up in Glasgow. I telephoned the Glasgow cemeteries and cremetoria dept. and they told me they could find no record of a burial but as her husband and family all come from Glasgow I am sure she must have been buried in one of the Glasgow graveyards. She gave birth to twins at her home in Bridgeton where one of the twins (a little girl) was stillborn and then two weeks later died in the Eastern District Hospital from peripheral septacemia, she was only 22. I was looking at a map (I'm not very good at map reading) of Glasgow and I thought I saw a graveyard in the next street to Soho St. Bridgeton but if she had been buried there surely the council would have had a record of it.
Boop

Offline Trotters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 January 08 23:59 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother died in 1922 aged 22 in the Eastern District Hospital which later became known as Duke St. Hospital, her usual residence was Soho St. Bridgeton can anyone help me find out where she is buried. I have tried the Glasgow Cemeteries and Crematoria Dept. but with no joy, they don't seem to have a record of a burial for her. Does anyone know where else I could try. Would she be buried in a graveyard that was nearest to her home? Any help would be much appreciated as I would love to visit her grave.
Boop
Hi Boop ,have you any idea where your grandmothers parents were buried ?maybe she is buried with them?
                     Regards
                        Ann
Butterworth- Ashton Under Lyne                              
Broadley-Ashton Under Lyne                                   
Bromley-Lancashire-Hooley Hill
Callaghan-Ashton u Lyne
Drabble-Ashton U Lyne ,  
Tucker-Bath, Somerset
Smith-Bath, Somerset
Cross-Bath, Somerset  
Wiltshire- Calne, Wiltshire                               
Hibberson-Audenshaw                               
Johnson-Lancashire-Hooley Hill
Lax-Stalybridge
Richardson-Ashton U Lyne
Ricketts-Marksbury
Walton- Ashton u Lyne

Offline boop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 January 08 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann
Her parents died after her but I havn't a clue where they were buried either.
Boop

Offline Trotters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 January 08 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boop maybe they would be easier to find?
  and possibly then find her with them ..just a thought
                     Ann :)

Butterworth- Ashton Under Lyne                              
Broadley-Ashton Under Lyne                                   
Bromley-Lancashire-Hooley Hill
Callaghan-Ashton u Lyne
Drabble-Ashton U Lyne ,  
Tucker-Bath, Somerset
Smith-Bath, Somerset
Cross-Bath, Somerset  
Wiltshire- Calne, Wiltshire                               
Hibberson-Audenshaw                               
Johnson-Lancashire-Hooley Hill
Lax-Stalybridge
Richardson-Ashton U Lyne
Ricketts-Marksbury
Walton- Ashton u Lyne

Offline boop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 January 08 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Polldoll

If your grandmother died in Scotland I have a couple of places to try about burial records if you want to send me the details you have about your grandmother I will ask at the same time as enquiring about my grandmother. You can either send them here or by personal message.
Boop

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 January 08 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Aw bless you Boop  :-* :-*That's really kind of you to offer. Here are the details of what I do know .... Her name was Annie Mary Maud Soutar ( nee Phillips) She died 7/8/1932 age 38 at The Royal Infirmary Glasgow from
Pulmonary TB  and ulceration of the intestines .Usual residence was 15 West George St,  wife of Robert Meldrum Soutar Orchestral Musician. Her father was John Charles Phillips and mother was Mary Phillips nee Coyne .  I have lately discovered that he, Robert,  married a Mary Miller Mcleod 11 years before he married ANNIE   and had a child to Mary that died as an infant  . It appears that  Mary Miller Mc Leod Soutar  went off to  Canada and they were divorced in 1919 but Robert married  Annie M M Phillips in Ripon, England before his divorce came through .IN 1918 ...so he may have been a bigamist .!! :o
 I'd love to know where Annie is buried as my Avatar is the only photo my mother ever had of her and her sad face really haunts me . My Mother was only 6 when she died :(    THANKS AGAIN for your offer  to look for me .. It is really appreciated  :)
Poll
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople