Author Topic: Numerous church records from St Michaels Athy and Allen Parish  (Read 27837 times)

Offline slc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Numerous church records from St Michaels Athy and Allen Parish
« on: Thursday 24 January 08 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Am new to site and don't really know the rules re posting scanned copies of records. 

I have some scanned records from St Michaels RC Church Athy and from Allen Parish that I would like to post.  Most records are of the Stakem/Stanley and the O'Keane/Kane/Dugan family however there are other names on pages that refer to marriages/baptisms  that might be of interest to others.

I see that you can attach a photo or image on this message page but am not sure if it applies to what I have and I do have more than 4 I believe....

Is there another section to this area where I would attach them or is it aright to do it here?

Also my G-g-g-grandfather Denis Stakem died in Athy in July of 1880 at the workhouse .  Could someone tell me if the workhouse had its own burial ground or would he have been buried in St Michaels Cemetery?  When I contacted St Michaels years ago I was not told of any burials in the Cemetery. 

It took me years to find where in Ireland that my G-grandmothers parents came from and more years to prove it all out so I know how hard it is to find out where to go in Ireland to get records and would just like to make it abit easier for someone else to find info if what I have pertains to what they know about where theirs came from.

Thank you
Sharon swtx

Offline jasper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Numerous church records from St Michaels Athy and Allen Parish
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 January 08 18:44 GMT (UK) »
I can't answer you question I'm afraid but am just wondering if you scanned the records yourself as I am going back to Ireland in March and have relies from athy who were baptised at St.Michael's and it would be great if I could scan the records as well.

Thanks

Michelle

Offline slc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 January 08 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes some were scanned but I didn't do them  .... they were sent to me by St Mikes in Athy years ago however I did scan all the papers they sent to me and share them when I can as there might be someone in them that another might reconize as their people.  Its not good to sit on info that others might be able to use. Hence me wanting to post them to website if possible

I have a page of marriages that start with Smyth Catherine to a Martin Miles in 1880 down to a Richard Strong to a Bridget Henry in 1854  There are 8 marriages that occured in the 1700's on this page St Mikes sent me.   Thats going back far for Catholic Parish Records in Ireland I have been given to understand.

I can say that St Mikes was great to deal with when I contacted them they went out of their way to give me as much info as they possibly could re my surnames So you shouldn't have any problems getting any info from them however I don't think they will let you scan the records rather they would do that one for you.  Elaine Foley  [the secretary]  was very gracious and prompt in replying to my letters.  I have nothing but good words for Elaine and St Michaels Church there in Athy.

I hope you have a great trip and you find what you seek in Athy   :)

Sharon

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 January 08 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

Would you have come across any Talbot or Turbetts in your records?

Rory
Talbot (Kildare/Dublin), Peppard (Wicklow/Carlow/Dublin), Gilman(Carrick-on-Suir), Gaffney, Spooner, Kavanagh, Foley (Kerry/Cork), Sullivan (Cork), Torbet (Edinburgh), Hennessey (Carrick-on-Suir)

Offline slc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 January 08 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rory

No I am sorry there are no Talbot or Turbetts in St Mikes, Athy Marriage records nor are they in the page from Allen Parish Marriage records.

Sharon

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 February 08 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon, yes the workhouse used the cemetry across the road and there are a lot of paupers graves there but as far as I have been told all of the records for this were destroyed by the Nuns when they left Athy but I will see if I can find out for you, most of the graves are marked just with a small cross I think i have some photos somehwere if I come across them I will post them for you, regards Damsel
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline slc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 February 08 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thank you very much for looking for me.  I appriciate it alot. 

Sad that the Nuns would destroy the records.  Guess the Church does funny things to protect people dosen't it? 

I don't think that there would be much Stakum + its 40+ spellings there in Athy so anything will be appriciated.  There were only 2 Stakums in Athy period in St Mikes records... Denis and wife Bridget Stanley and Matthew and wife Judith Bermingham [who emigrated to US in 1854 with children and poof the faries got them all almost in the US.]  Oh there was a Alice Stakum who back in 1754 married a Derby Dowling and had at least 1 known child Jean in 1762.....

Kildare was not a Stakum area I have been told by a reliable Stakum researcher..... So mine are unique to the extent that you can't find much on them ..... boy thats the truth too .... bits and pieces here and there....

Will wait to hear back from you

Thanks again
Sharon

Offline kidja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 February 08 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have Smyth in my family so any Smyth information would be great. I also have Gleeson (somtimes entered as Leeson). Also Howell or Hould

If you have anything on these names i would be very grateful to see it.

Catherine
bellew, neary co. meath, gleeson, shannon,shanahan, smythe co kildare, murphy, clarke, higgins, twyford, farrell co. wicklow

Offline slc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 February 08 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If you will contact me at  (*)   [please remove the &&&&&] I will send you a scanned copy of the page with the marriages on it that I was sent.  The page I was sent has only S's surnames on it

There are a number of Smyths on it

I have to work today but will be looking for your email when I get home this late afternoon and will send it over to you asap

Sharon swtx

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php