Author Topic: William Stanley  (Read 2205 times)

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
William Stanley
« on: Thursday 06 January 05 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Newbie,
Thank you for your offer to look up information on the birth of William Stanley (middle name Henry, although rarely used). I am still trying to find this information without success. The only information I have found so far is that he was born Windsor Castle 1820 and came to Australia in 1837. He was a Professor of music and on his death certificate it says his father was also a Professor of music, but not other info available.
Thank you in advance    Di.

Sorry can't find the original posting.
I visited the Record Office yesterday and the archivist was extremely helpful,  they do not hold any records at all for Windsor Castle they are all held at the Royal Archives
Royal Archives.   www.royal.gov.uk
He suggested you contact the archivist at Windsor Castle, they have staff lists and would keep any records for St.Georges Chapel.

St.Georges Chapel, Windsor Castle, Deans Cloister, Windsor Castle, Windsor SL4 1nJ.
tel 01753 857942/865538
archives@stgeorges-windsor.org

www.stgeorges-windsor.org

His other suggestion was that if he,  like his father was a Professor of Music he is likely to have been to University (Oxford or Cambridge) and that we consult the list of Alumni, I didn't get round to that this time but would be happy to look next week when I go again. it may be worth me looking at the parish registers for windsor too just in case.
Newbie.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Stanley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Di,
Went to the Record office today and did a search for the Oxonienses For a Stanley, Professor of Music,  there were lots of Stanley's of note, some K.G.'s, some M.P.'s lots of Earls and Viscount Stanley.
None that would seem to fit with yours. Dates were 1715 - 1886.
Stanley William s of William of Brompton Middx arm Trinity Coll. matric. 2 June 1747 aged 17
Stanley Thomas so John of Nottingham (town) pleb Queens College matric 7 Mar 1775 aged 18. BCL from St Mund Hall 1783 DCL 1787
Also checked the Cambridge Alumni, again nothing that would seem to fit.
The Archivist suggested I try the book of Biographies
 so with my best magnifying  glass I did, I found this which may or may not help? Since your William Stanley was a Professor of Music at Windsor Castle he was obviously a respected person of some note I would have thought anyway this was the only item I found worth considering.

Stanley John 1714 - 1786.
 Musician born London 17 Jan 1713/14, when 2 was blinded by a fall. there is then a long and detailed biography. Graduate Mus.Bac Oxon 19 July 1729, at the age 16, youngest recorded age for an Oxford music graduate... in much request as a teacher, after Handels death in 1760.....  In February 1779 was appointed Master of the Kings Band.

If you think it worth it I will copy it out in full next time.
Best Wishes
Newbie.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanjm2012

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Stanley
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 16 23:35 GMT (UK) »
with reference to your post from 2005 Professor of Music William Stanley, I am looking for the baptism record, via the Berkshire records office, and now a researcher is looking for me He adopted his mothers name. This is why the record is difficult. If you contact me I have more information and a web site that talks about his music
Stanjm