Author Topic: Offer:Toowoomba QLD Headstone Photos  (Read 53429 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Toowoomba QLD Headstone Photos offer
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 March 07 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill,

I'll be happy to take a look, but you'll need to let me know which church!  There are dozens of churches in Toowoomba so I must know where to go!

We have a Keith Beer on the city council at present - wonder if he is a distant rellie of yours.  Not one of my favourite councillors, I have to say! 

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 04 March 07 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Silly me! - it's St Luke's.  ::)

I don't think your councillor is any relation, so you can feel free to be rude about him.  ;)

TIA, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 04 March 07 09:26 GMT (UK) »
OK Bill!  :D

'Tis my old parish church, but I am a heathen these days.  I know that the church is locked most of the time, so I'll need to find an opportunity to get in and look for your rellies.  Bear with me.  I'll get there, but it may take a little while!!  I'm not going to attend a service there, even for you!!  ;D  (Been there, been burnt!)

Cheers

MarieC
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 04 March 07 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks MariaC

I wouldn't be attending a service either - I only go into churches to photograph the architecture and memorials, unless I have to go to a wedding or funeral!

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline topo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 06 March 07 17:11 GMT (UK) »
I need help!!!! My great uncle & aunt had a farm 'Lea Green' at Merringandan near Toowoomba. Where would they be buried? There names were Robinson unfortunately I only know his nickname - Chum - born about 1900 in England and his wife was Nell  born in Australia (was that the name she was baptised with?) - allegedly 12 years older than him! They died about 1960-70. Not much to go on is it.
Judi

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Judi

You will need more information than that! 

It is almost impossible to say where they would be buried.  Firstly, there is a link to Gravefinder at the Drayton and Toowoomba cemetery at the beginning of this thread.  If you haven't done so already, please log on to it and search the Robinsons and see if anything jumps out at you.  Of course there are a lot of Robinsons buried there, and the only Nellie Robinson definitely is NOT your relative - she is a former Mayor of Toowoomba.

Also in Toowoomba there is a private lawn cemetery called the Garden of Remembrance and a crematorium.  They could have been buried there, or cremated.

Alternatively, there are some little country graveyards scattered round the place.  They could even have been buried in one of those.

What religious denomination did they belong to?

You need to find out his given name from family members/birth indexes/baptism records, wherever you can search.  I am sure that you should be able to find it!  If you can do that, I will try to help you find them.

MarieC

Offline eilidh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 07 March 07 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judi,

Just following on from Marie, I checked the Meringandan cemetery records (which are not complete) on the following website;

http://www.interment.net/data/aus/qld/crowsnest/meringandan.htm

Unfortunately no Robinsons are listed. Meringandan is part of Crows Nest Shire, so I had a quick look on their website;

http://www.cnnet.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=139&Itemid=159.

They have 5 cemeteries on line, but once again not knowing your g-uncle & aunt's forenames makes it hard. 

The only other thing I can suggest is that you contact State Library of Queensland who have an 'Ask Us' /'Ask a Librarian' service (query form on-line) - they will check their records including electoral rolls (past & present). Hopefully they may be able to give you some information on the Robinson family of Lea Green, Meringandan. The direct link to ask a librarian at SLQ is ;

http://wrms.slq.qld.gov.au/callsubmit/TPWebCallEntry.asp

Bye
Helen
CATER, Braintree, Colchester & Leek
CHIVAS, Fraserburgh Scotland, Canada, USA
DIGBY, Braintree, Colchester, Essex
DONALDSON, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Canada, USA
McKIE, Kirkudbright,Wigton, Whithorn
PICKERING, Leek, Staffordshire
SHALLCROSS, Leek, Staffordshire
STONEHEWER, Leek, Staffordshire
TIDESWELL, Leek, Staffordshire
VERNON, Leek, Staffordshire
WALKER, Holywood

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 16 March 07 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Bill 749!  :D

I have got into St Luke's and had a look around.  I also spoke to two people who know the church extremely well.  One has written its history and one also knows pretty well everything that is in there.

Mixed results, I fear.  Nothing for E.A. Beer and there are no medals of any kind held in the church.  There is a Warriors' Chapel but nothing there.  Neither person knew anything about E.A. Beer. 

However, I found a little plaque for Harriet Maud Beer.  I photographed it but the flash reflected off it and it isn't very clear.  I did, however, copy down the wording.

If you send me your email address I will send you what I have about Harriet.

It might be worth your while contacting the Milne Bay Military Museum in Toowoomba to ask about E.A. Beer.  Their website address is:

http://www.milnebaymilitarymuseum.com/

and you can contact them through the site.  If he was a Toowoomba lad, I think they will know about him.

Hope this helps,

MarieC

Offline topo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 March 07 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen
Many thanks for the 'library' website. I've sent a message to them so fingers crossed they will be able to help - I'll let you know what happens so watch this space.....!!!
Judith