Author Topic: Offer:Toowoomba QLD Headstone Photos  (Read 53505 times)

Offline heapsofus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Toowoomba QLD Headstone Photos offer
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 00:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Emily!!  :)  :)

I come through Emily's daughter, Annie Louisa. I have been able to find the decendants (it was very hard!) of William.

The sad thing about him was that when he was in his twenties he tried to find his sister (the only living relative at the time - John Thomas "Harry" had been killed in action in WWI, in 1916, his photo is on the Australian War Memorial site), he found her and tried telling her that he was her brother, but she would not believe him and her husband told him to never see them again.

He tried again when he was in his fifties, but again Annie did not believe him.... She had been in the orphanage when he was born, and oviously had never known that he existed!!  Poor William also had a terrible stutter from the age of three - sometimes he went totally 'dumb' and could not speak until he had slaped his thigh - this is what got him discharged from WWI!! I do feel sorry for him that his 'real' family never accepted him :'(

Thank you again so much!! - We do indeed owe it to Emily to find out all that we can! :)
Tiana :)

Offline MondaysChild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Offer:Toowoomba QLD Headstone Photos
« Reply #91 on: Monday 14 August 17 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm looking for the resting place of my Great Grandfather Leonard Timothy O'Gara who died 21 February 2000.

Find A Grave says he was cremated on 24 February 2000 and buried in Toowoomba Garden of Remeberance.

It would me so much if you would be able to find anything there. I know very little about his time in Australia as he was born in Surrey, England before emigrating to Australia in 1955.

Thank You,
Rebecca
O'Gara, Julyan, Bunker, Bowater, Law, Arnott

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 01:26 BST (UK) »
Rebecca, could you provide a link to the Find a Grave Reference, please, as it isn't coming up on an Internet search?

Related post: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=574435.0

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 01:36 BST (UK) »
Rebecca, could you provide a link to the Find a Grave Reference, please, as it isn't coming up on an Internet search?

Related post: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=574435.0

Jamjar

It's there
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kjj/

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 01:39 BST (UK) »
And today the rootschat link appears to have problems.

Full link

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=o%27gara&GSiman=1&GScid=2203648&GRid=180338053&

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 01:51 BST (UK) »
I suggest you contact the crematorium via their website
https://www.toowoombacrem.com.au/

Cando

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebecca and others,

As a Toowoomba person, I don't know why the Garden of Remembrance doesn't have a link to its burials/cremations like most other cemeteries do. 

Can't find anything about your ancestor on their website.  Suggest you click on "Contact Us" and ask them directly.

From my knowledge of the place (and I have rellies buried there, including my parents), cremated remains are either placed in a wall or scattered in various gardens - but in both cases, there should be a plaque.

If you have no success with the "Contact us" approach, post again here.  I will see if I can call in there and ask the office about your ancestor.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline MondaysChild

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Friday 18 August 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you.
I emailed them and received a reply today. He was cremated there but does not have a plaque as he is still in there storage area.

Thank you for your help.
O'Gara, Julyan, Bunker, Bowater, Law, Arnott

Offline SteveACT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Friday 25 January 19 04:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marie

Im originally from England and now live in Canberra and recently discovered a family member on my mums side is buried in Toowoomba Garden of Rememberance. I am trying to find as much information as I can of him.

He was called John McIntyre Hastie. He used to live at 2 Laurel Place, Toowoomba. He died in 1971 aged 65. Plot number 206-B-7.

A bit of history. My Gran, Grandad and Mum came to Australia just after WWII on the assisted passage and they went to live with John (my grans brother). Unfortunately they didnt like Australia so moved back to Glasgow, Scotland!!! Go figure?? I remember my mum saying she had cousins in Australia but I was young and didnt really think much about it. I moved to Australia 26 years ago and have just recently started thinking about my mums side of the family. I would love to find out about them.

If you are ever out at the cemetary I would love it if you could possibly have a look around? There are no lists/details of burials on the GOR website, just the contact us option.

Anyway, I know its a stab in the dark, but would very much appreciate it if you could go have a look next time you are there.

Kind regards
Steve