Author Topic: Gilliland Conly Ballybay  (Read 19610 times)

Offline ANDYGILLILAND

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gilliland Conly Ballybay
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

Many thanks for the information, it certainly ties in with the little I have at the moment, although I am heading over to Ballybay later in the year to do some digging (not literally, I hope) and to chat with some of the family still living at Corfad, Annaneese and Corceran. Chief amongst my targets is my Dad's brother, Martin Gilliland, who although now in his late 80s will be able to add some detail. Martin is the source of the 'wild Joe' story, as he had it from Richie, his father, some years ago. It seems that the young Joe Gilliland hailed from Carrick (?) and spent his early years building a reputation as a hard drinking, hard fighting, hard poaching, hard working labourer. Deciding one day seeking better fortune he was walking into Ballybay when he met an elderly widow who farmed alone at Ullinagh. She stopped him on the road and asked to where he was bound and when he told her that he was seeking work she offered him a labouring job at her farm. Upon her death, Joe inherited the farm, as she had no children still living. He had a reputation as a 'horse doctor', as skill which seemed to consist mainly of riding any troublesome patient until the poor best gave in and either lived or died! The 'Wild' epitaph springs either from his youth, his fondness for a pint and a punch ( usually in that order) or the manner in which he treated his horses! I have absolutely no verification for any of this - tales rend to grow taller over time, but there is probably a kernel of truth in there somewhere!

Of Richie's children, only Martin and George are still alive, although Lionel's son (Andrew) still farms both Corfad and Annaneese, inherited from the Eakins brothers (Richie's wife's family - she was the only surviving child of a very late marriage). However the offspring of all of Richie's 12 children are scattered all over the globe, with a few still farming in Co Mobaghan.

I will keep you updated of anything I find in Church or family records when I get over there. This forum seems not to like posting email addresses, but I will make an attempt to do so in a separate post.

Andy

Offline Marilyn Marsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 02:07 GMT (UK) »
 Fabulous to hear I am related My great grandfather was George who married Jane Tullbitt. My great grandfather  william Brown Married ada Gilliland its so confusing to me lol im trying to find out if there are any browns still alive related to William brown GG/ James david  BrownG My dad was william james brownF All connected along the family tree,
good luck on your venture. Maz

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Andy

Many thanks for sharing the story.  That sort of recollection makes genealogy so much more interesting than just a list of names and dates.

On the internet today, I came across an index of Death Notices and Obituaries from the newspaper The Northern Standard.  Joseph Gilliland of Ullinagh is listed for the edition of 16 August 1913, page 124.  I reckon this is Wild Joe.  Unfortunately, all I have is the index and not the actual notice.

Hope you have a successful trip to Ballybay.

Regards

David

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 21:02 GMT (UK) »
...came across an index of Death Notices and Obituaries from the newspaper.... where??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark

I actually came across it through a Google search on the surname and place, but here's the link:

http://www.monaghan.ie/en/services/library/newsarchive/

Try this too:

http://www.monaghan.ie/en/services/library/localhistory/indextoobituaries/

Hope that's helpful.

David

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark

I actually came across it through a Google search on the surname and place, but here's the link:

http://www.monaghan.ie/en/services/library/newsarchive/

Try this too:

http://www.monaghan.ie/en/services/library/localhistory/indextoobituaries/

Hope that's helpful.

David

Thanks, hadn't realized Cathriona had put them online!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline weesue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 09 March 16 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to all you guys for your stories and names of families...
Seems like we are all connected in some way... :D
I am still trying to digest it all and I can't believe you have found so many people...
I have printed out these comments and will try and fit them into some sort of tree... (ha ha ha)
I don't have any info to give you all back, just to thank you for what you are giving me...
But, we could all be distant cousins eh! lol... ;) I love it! :)
Susan Casey:- From Glasgow Scotland - Searching for-
(Glasgow) Casey, Connelly, Croall, Cummiskey, Gilliland, Holmes, McDivitt, Roache.
(Ayr) Boyd, Pearson, Peirson, Paton,MacCreadie, Earl

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 March 16 15:34 BST (UK) »
On the Forum for Unwanted Certificates, I have just posted details from some Death Certificates and Marriage Certificates for Gillilands.  These are certificates which I had ordered, but so far have been unable to tie into the family-tree.

The link to the Death Certificates is:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=744892.0

and the Marriage Certificates is just beside it.

In my post of 6 March 2016, I mentioned that a Robert Gilliland was listed on the census return with my Woods family in Glasgow in 1901.  I think this Robert Gilliland could be:

Robert Gilliland
born 12 January 1881 at Ullinagh
Father: Joseph Gilliland
Mother: Elizabeth Phillips.
(Source: IGI / familysearch.org)

This Robert would be 20 years old in April 1901, whereas the census return states 21 years.  However, this Robert was the nephew of my great-great-grandmother Anne Woods (nee Gilliland).  Also, he does not feature with his parents and siblings on the 1901 census in Ireland.  So I am pretty certain that this is the same Robert Gilliland.

David

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 05 November 16 19:23 GMT (UK) »
In my above post dated 6 March 2016, I have noted the census returns which list Ernest Gilliland, who was the son of George Gilliland and Jane Turbitt.  In the 1911 census, Ernest Gilliland was 28 years old and described as "Sgt Farrier NIH".  Also, I have noted that Ernest Gilliland appears in a photograph in the book "At the Ford of the Birches, The History of Ballybay, its People & Vicinity" by James H Murnane & Paedar Murnane.

I have just come across a book named "The North Irish Horse in the Great War" by Phillip Tardif, which was published last year.  When recounting the Battle of Le Cateau in August 1914, the author quotes from a Private William Morton of Lurgan:

"When we came in contact with a patrol of the enemy we dismounted and, taking up position, opened a rapid fire.  We succeeded in bringing down about fifty of them, and the remainder, who galloped round a wood, were finished by some infantry on our left.  Immediately then, the German big guns and Maxims began to play on us, and again we had to retire through a village which was in flames."

Immediately after this quotation, the author states:

"It has been claimed that the first North Irish Horseman to account for an enemy fighter was Farrier Sergeant Ernest Gilliland, an event that most likely occurred during this action.  Gilliland, a 31-year old from Drumar, County Monaghan, was a veteran of the regiment, having enlisted in March 1909."

Always good to add some real-life information to the names on our family-tree.  And this is a really powerful account from the early days of the First World War.

David