Author Topic: Gilliland Conly Ballybay  (Read 19640 times)

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gilliland Conly Ballybay
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 March 14 20:18 GMT (UK) »
The family of George Ernest Gilliland mentioned at the start of this topic is certainly connected to my family mentioned above.  I have got copies of some certificates that help to piece some of this together.

George Gilliland (ie no middle name of Ernest) married Jane Turbitt on 10 February 1874 at 2nd Clontibret Presbyterian Church.  George Gilliland was a bachelor of full age, blacksmith, residing at Castleshane, and son of John Gilliland, farmer.  Jane Turbitt was a spinster of full age, residing at Clonlummen, and daughter of Robert Turbitt, farmer.  The witnesses were John Turbitt and Sarah Graham.

Jane Turbitt was the sister of David Turbitt who married Mary Jane Wylie on 22 January 1880 at 2nd Ballybay Presbyterian Church.  David Turbitt was a bachelor of full age, teacher, residing at Comanan, and son of Robert Turbitt, farmer.  Mary Jane Wylie was a spinster of full age, residing at Dummerish (?), and daughter of James Wylie, farmer.  The witnesses were Robert W Clarke and Thomas Wylie.

David Turbitt and Mary Jane Wylie were the parents of Thomas Turbitt who was born on 7 October 1893 at Urcher, District of Kilmore.  David Turbitt was a National School Teacher.  In the 1911 census, Thomas Turbitt aged 21 years was a Law Clerk General and visitor to the household of Joseph & Lizzie Gilliland (see below) at Ullinagh.

My great-great-grandmother Ann Gilliland married George Woods on 13 March 1873 at Loughmourne Presbyterian Church.  George Woods was a bachelor of full age, farmer, residing at Pottle, and son of Charles Woods, farmer.  Ann Gilliland was a spinster, aged 20 years, residing at Annakerr, and daughter of Joseph Gilliland, farmer.  The witnesses were James G Mahood & Susanna Phillips.

Susanna Phillips married John Dunlop Burgess on 17 November 1876 at Loughmourne Presbyterian Church.  John Dunlop Burgess was a bachelor of full age, farmer, residing at Lattycrum, and son of Robert Burgess, farmer.  Susanna Phillips was a spinster and minor, residing at Aughakist, and daughter of Andrew Phillips, farmer.  The witnesses were David McCullagh and Isabella Gilliland.

Ann Gilliland's brother Joseph Gilliland married Susanna Phillips's sister Elizabeth Phillips on 26 January 1875 at Crieve.  Joseph Gilliland was a bachelor of full age, farmer, residing at Ullinagh, and son of Joseph Gilliland, farmer.   Elizabeth Phillips was a spinster of full age, residing at Aunakaia (?), and daughter of Andrew Phillips, farmer.  The witnesses were John Wiley and Susanna Phillips.

Ann Gilliland's brother Isaac Gilliland married Sarah Jane Oliver on 13 February 1883 at Corvalley.  Isaac Gilliland was a bachelor of full age, farmer, residing at Arnikane, son of Joseph Gilliland, farmer.  Sarah Jane Oliver was a spinster of full age, residing at Shancho, and daughter of Robert Oliver, farmer.  The witnesses were William Phillips and Margaret Oliver.  In the 1901 and 1911 census, Sarah Jane Gilliland, widow, is at Aghmakerr with her niece Lizzie Wylie (1901 census), later Elizabeth Chambers (1911 - after Elizabeth's marriage to Henry Chambers in 1906).

Sarah Jane Oliver's sister Margaret Oliver married Thomas Wylie on 11 March 1885 at Corvalley.  Thomas Wylie was a bachelor of full age, farmer, residing at Lattycrum, and son of David Wylie, farmer.  Margaret Oliver was a spinster of full age, residing at Shanco, and daughter of Robert Oliver, farmer.  The witnesses were Joseph McCullagh and Bella Oliver.  (Surely, Thomas Wylie must be related to Mary Jane Wylie who married David Turbitt.  A Thomas Wylie was a witness at that wedding.  And also a John Wylie was a witness at the wedding of Joseph Glliland and Elizabeth Phillips.)

As an aside, I have obtained the birth certificate for Emily Gilliland who was the sister of Ann Gilliland, Joseph Gilliland and Isaac Gilliland (maybe another sibling was Isabella Gilliland who was a witness at the wedding of Susanna Phillips and John Dunlop Burgess).  Emily Gilliland was born on 13 August 1864 at Lattonfasky, daughter of Joseph Gilliland, farmer, residing at Lattonfasky, and Anne Gilliland formerly Nelson.  The birth was registered by Anne Gilliland, mother.

The information on the birth certificate for Emily Woods has helped me identify the death certificate of Joseph Gilliland's mother (ie grandmother to Ann, Joseph and Isaac Gilliland).  Jane Gilliland died on 26 December 1867 at Anniker.  Jane was 86 years old and a farmer's widow.  Cause of death was senile decay for one day.  The death was registered by Joseph Gilliland, residing at Lalonfasky [stet].

I already have the death certificate for Joseph Gilliland (father to Ann, Joseph and Isaac Gilliland).  Joseph Gilliland died on 13 May 1887 at Aghmakerr.  Joseph was 72 years old and a widower.  Cause of death was vascular disease of the heart and asthenia for 2 months.  The death was registered by Lizzie Gilliland, daughter-in-law, residing at Ullinagh.

I hope all this information helps someone.  I have some other certificates and bits and pieces for Gillilands that I can't yet slot into place.  Happy to share the information that I have.

David

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 October 14 13:10 BST (UK) »
As an addition to my post above, I have now got the birth certificate for:

David Turbitt
born: 2 March 1890 at Urcher
father: David Turbitt, National School Teacher, or Urcher
mother: Mary Jane Turbitt, formerly Wylie

In my post above, I mention David Turbitt's parents, as well as his brother Thomas Turbitt, and his aunt Jane Turbitt who married George Gilliland.

David Turbitt is one of 5 men listed on the war memorial for Cahans Presbyterian Church.  He was killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, ie 1 July 1916, and is listed on the Thiepval memorial for the missing.  Two of the other 5 men on the war memorial for Cahans Presbyterian Church died the same day.  As an aside, another man listed on the war memorial is Major David Nelson VC who was killed on 8 April 1918, after winning the VC in September 1914.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 October 14 11:52 BST (UK) »
I think that Andy maybe having problems getting his email notifications David, hopefully this one should go...

Regards

Sarah :)

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline weesue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 March 16 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys
I must have been getting problems getting my emails and had no idea that all these responses were here...  Wow, I am so grateful and can see that there are connections... This is amazing... so much information too... I was on here a few weeks ago (haven't been doing my family tree for ages), as I had a contact strangely from someone else and this has made me look around... I have written pm's to some of you... Thank you so much for taking the time and sorry that is is sooooooo Long since I've seen this... :)

Kindest Regards to all

Susan C
Susan Casey:- From Glasgow Scotland - Searching for-
(Glasgow) Casey, Connelly, Croall, Cummiskey, Gilliland, Holmes, McDivitt, Roache.
(Ayr) Boyd, Pearson, Peirson, Paton,MacCreadie, Earl

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 March 16 16:13 GMT (UK) »
For easy reference, I thought that it might be useful to record some of the census information here.  (I have quite a bit more than this, but these are the immediately relevant extracts.)

Here are the census records for George Gilliland and his wife Jane Turbitt (mentioned above, and at the very start of this thread)

Drumar, Ballybay Rural - 1901 census
George Gilliland, Head, Presbyterian, 50 years, Farmer & Blacksmith, Married, born Monaghan
Jane Gilliland, Wife, Presbyterian, 54 years, [No occupation], Married, born Monaghan
Ernest Gilliland, Son, Presbyterian, 18 years, Blacksmith, Not married, born Monaghan
Maggie Gilliland, Daughter, Presbyterian, 13 years, Scholar, Not married, born Monaghan
Florrie Gilliland, Daughter, Presbyterian, 10 years, Scholar, Not married, born Monaghan

Drumar, Ballybay Rural - 1911 census
George Gilliland, Head, Presbyterian, 65 years, Farmer, Married for 37 years, born Monaghan
Jane Gilliland, Wife, Presbyterian, 66 years, [No occupation], Married for 37 years, 8 children born alive & 5 still living, born Monaghan
Ernest Gilliland, Son, Presbyterian, 28 years, Sgt Farrier NIH, Single, born Monaghan (* see note below)
Maggie Gilliland, Daughter, Presbyterian, 23 years, [No occupation], born Monaghan
Florrie Gilliland, Daughter, Presbyterian, 19 years, [No occupation], born Monaghan
Ernest Gilliland, Grandson, Presbyterian, 9 years, Scholar, born Scotland.

(* Ernest Gilliland - I have a copy of the book "At the Ford of the Birches, The History of Ballybay, its People & Vicinity" by James H Murnane & Paedar Murnane.  The book includes a small blurred photograph of Ernest Gilliland leading an Orange Parade in Ballybay.  The book mentions that the Orange Lodge had supported a pipe band since the early 1920s and lists Richie Gilliland and Ernie Gilliland as banner bearers.  The book also lists Ernest Gilliland from Corfad as being a Sergeant Major in the NIH during the First World War.)

Census record for Joseph Gilliland and his wife Elizabeth Phillips (mentioned above) with the nephew of Jane Gilliland (nee Turbitt):

Ullinagh, Carrickatee - 1911 census
Joseph Gilliland, Head, Presbyterian, 59 years, Farmer, Married, born Monaghan
Lizzie Gilliland, Wife, Presbyterian, 61 years, [No occupation], Married for 36 years, 9 children born and 9 still alive, born Monaghan
William Gilliland, Son, Presbyterian, 21 years, Farmer's son, Single, born Monaghan
Agnes Gilliland, Daughter, Presbyterian, 23 years, Farmer's daughter, Single, born Monaghan
Ritchie Gilliland, Son, Presbyterian, 19 years, Farmer's son, Single, born Monaghan
Martin Gilliland, Son, Presbyterian, 13 years, Scholar, Single, born Monaghan
Eva Gilliland, Daughter, Presbyterian, 7 years, Scholar, Single, born Monaghan
Betty Reilly, Lodger, Roman Catholic, 81 years, Widow, born Monaghan
Thomas Turbitt, Visitor, Presbyterian, 17 years, Law Clerk General, Single, born Monghan.

As yet, I do not know who was the common ancestor to George Gilliland (husband of Jane Turbitt) and Joseph Gilliland (husband of Elizabeth Phillips).  As noted already, Susan (who started this thread) believes that George Gilliland's parents were John Gilliland and Margaret Maxwell.  Meanwhile, I know that Joseph Gilliland's parents were Joseph Gilliland and Ann Nelson.  But, undoubtedly, these families are closely related.

As mentioned before, Joseph Gilliland (husband of Elizabeth Phillips) was the brother of my great-great-grandmother Ann Gilliland who married George Woods.  By the time of the 1901 census, this Ann Gilliland (now Woods) was in Glasgow, with her son Thomas Woods listed as Head.  But the census return also records a Gilliland visitor:

40 Kent Street, Glasgow - 1901 census
Thomas Woods, Head, Single, 26 years, Police Constable, born Ireland
Anne Woods, Mother, Married, 47 years, Housekeeper, born Ireland
Letitia Woods, Sister, Single, 26 years, Assistant Housekeeper, born Ireland
Robert Woods, Brother, Single, 22 years, Mason's Labourer, born Ireland
George Woods, Brother, Single, 17 years, Cabinet Maker, born Ireland
Joseph Woods, Brother, Single, 15 years, Message Boy (General), born Ireland
William Woods, Brother, Single, 13 years, Scholar, born Ireland
Isaac Woods, Brother, 5 years, [No occupation], born Ireland
Robert Gilliland, Visitor, Single, 21 years, Police Constable, born Ireland.

So far, I have been unable to identify this Robert Gilliland.  I do not know who were this Robert's parents or what became of him.

As another side note, I have started a topic on this Monaghan forum about the family of Major David Nelson VC.  Some of the same families which are connected to the Gillilands are mentioned in that post too.

Hope all this is of interest and helps join up our missing links.

David

Offline Marilyn Marsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 05:34 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks so much david still trying to get more info

Offline ANDYGILLILAND

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi David

This is fantastic, thank you so much for sharing. I believe (with little evidence) that Joseph Gilliland was my Great Grandfather (my Father William was the son of Ritchy Gilliland) and I have heard the family legend about how Joseph came by the farm at Ullinagh and earned his nickname 'Wild Joe'. I am in regular contact with a whole host of Ritchy's descendants, still living in Ballybay!

As you may have guessed, I am a complete novice at family research - perhaps it would have been easier to start with my Mother's family!!

Offline Woodsd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Andy

If your grandfather was Ritchy Gilliland (in the census above from Ullinagh, and mentioned in "At the Ford of the Birches"), it seems pretty certain that you're the great-grandson of Joseph Gilliland.

Just to add to the information, here is the extract for that family from the 1901 census:

Ullinagh, Carrickatee, Castleyblayney
Joseph Gilliland, Head, Presbyterian, 46 years, Farmer, Married, born co Monaghan
Elizabeth Gilliland, Wife, Presbyterian, 47 years, [no occupation] Married, born co Monaghan
Andrew J Gilliland, Son, Presbyterian, 22 years, Farmer's son, Not married, born co Monaghan
Robena Gilliland, Daughter, Presbyterian, 16 years, Farmer's daughter, Not married, born co Monaghan
Agnes Gilliland, Daughter, Presbyterian, 14 years, Scholar, Not married, born co Monaghan
William Gilliland, Son, Presbyterian, 12 years, Scholar, Not married, born co Monaghan
Ricky Gilliland, Son, Presbyterian, 10 years, Scholar, Not married, born co Monaghan
Martin Gilliland, Son, Presbyterian, 4 years, Scholar, Not married, born co Monaghan.

I also have the death certificate for Joseph Gilliland's father, ie your great-great-grandfather (and my great-great-great-grandfather):

Joseph Gilliland
died 13 May 1887 at Aghmakerr
aged 72 years
widower
cause of death: vascual disease of heart and asthenia, 2 months
registered by Lizzie Gilliland (daughter-in-law) of Ullinagh who was in attendance during last illness.

(This was the Joseph Gilliland who married Ann Nelson, as mentioned above.)

And I have the death certificate for that Joseph Gilliland's mother, ie your great-great-great-grandmother (and my great-great-great-great-grandmother):

Jane Gilliland
died 26 December 1868 at Anniker
aged 86 years
Farmer's widow
cause of death: senile decay, 1 day, certified no medical attendant
registered by Joseph Gilliland, present at death, Lalonfasky.

(I have typed the spellings as written on the certificates.)

If you are willing to share, I would very much like to hear your family legend about the gaining of Ullinagh and the origins of the nickname "Wild Joe".

Best wishes

David