Author Topic: Date Opinions and Uniform Question Please  (Read 3149 times)

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Date Opinions and Uniform Question Please
« on: Saturday 26 January 08 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Further to this post, it is either the lady on the left or the man on the right that is related to one or more of the ladies with the hats..... I have still no idea which.... and am still dreaming of finding out......

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,277379.0.html

Anyway after veering off topic, the point of this post is to ask opinions on date, and the uniform of this picture.

The lady is Jane Watt Manderson b. 5.10.1884
The man is George Dickson b. 27.4.1885

They married 31.12.1909 in Galashiels, Selkirkshire. George was a painter by trade.

I'm presuming the pic is pre WW1 but I'm not sure, which is where I'd like to ask your opinions on when it may have been taken and is there any way of identifying the uniform.

Thanks!!!

Tx

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Date Opinions and Uniform Question Please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 January 08 16:52 GMT (UK) »
I would suggest that this is a photograph taken around about the 1st ww period rather than before. As for the cap badge it is hard to make out properly but I would suggest that you either repost this onto the armed forces board or put a link on there back to this photograph, I feel sure that someone on that board would be able to help in identifying his regiment (Atom would be the best bet) rather than for me to take a guess at the which one that he belonged to.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 January 08 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I have just posted up on the armed forces board and linked to here.

It was my Mum that said the photo was pre-WW1, but she is losing her marbles  ;)

A lovely man has just suggested that the regiment may be the Argyle & Southern Highlanders.

Any more suggestions or help is gratefully received.  :)

Tx

Offline RecycledHippy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 January 08 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tx

Sorry I cannot help with your quest for further info on your photo

Have given it a quick tidy for you tho :D :D :D

Hippy :D :D :D
Please scan all photographs at 300-600 dpi.
Please feel free to colour/modify any restores posted by me.
An acknowledgement would be much appreciated.

Lenoir - Antwerp Belgium
Tippell/Tipple Norfolk/Suffolk border