Author Topic: Miller/Lowe  (Read 6930 times)

Offline juliebenny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Miller/Lowe
« on: Sunday 27 January 08 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Needing help to confirm marriage between Thomas Low & Helen Miller in maybe June 1822 possibly Perth & birth of children mainly Charles in 1829. 

Thanks
Julie

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Miller/Lowe
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 08 06:53 GMT (UK) »
hi julie

marriage 23rd of june 1822 redgorton perth from the IGI
charles low born 10th december 1829 baptised 20th december 1829
redgorton perthshire again from IGI

is this what you wan't ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline juliebenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 January 08 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks ev, how simple could it be?

Regards
Julie

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 January 08 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello juliebenny

Go to www.familysearch.org

Click on the 'Search' facility

On the left hand side of that page click on 'International Geanological Index'

it's under the header 'census'

Enter both parents names.

Under 'event', click for 'birth/ch' , Year '1830'  and under  'range ' put in '+/-10' years.

Fill in Region and country - brings up a total of 24 entries - a mixture of submitted and extracted entries - some doubles.  Over to you to trawl through.  Good luck  :O)

Offline juliebenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 January 08 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks piglet but I must be doing something wrong, I don't get what you get!  I'll keep trying.

Regards
Julie

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 January 08 10:33 GMT (UK) »
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/igi/search_IGI.asp?indid=&spouse_id=&color=blue

put father and mothers name in top right hand side
then EVENT - birth/christening
REGION - british isles
COUNTRY - scotland
COUNTY - perth
then SEARCH

if you put fathers name in first box , then mothers name underneath
select marriage in event box , then select british isles , scotland , perth then search
this should give you the marriage

ev

Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 February 08 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi JulieBenny
I've been researching my Low family tree (see my previous message if you're interested in the details).
Anyway - while looking through the MIs in Perthshire booklet, I found the following info from Redgorton Cemetery.  These are copies of my notes:

Plot 42 by Thos.Low and Helen Miller at Downhill, son Peter died 24th January (no year)
Plot 43 Thomas Low - ill of crown over hand grasping hammer and crossed keys (perhaps for a locksmith?)
Plot 44 winged soul. Thomas Low Sept 1713 2 years
Plot 45 pedestal by William Low merchant in Dunkeld in memory of daughter Helen Millar 23 November 1852, 2 years
(all at left hand rear of church)

I visited Redgorton recently as well as Moneydie cemetery and the graves at Luncarty.  I haven't found my own immediate ancestors but a lot with same names and similar occupations so I assume they may be related vaguely.

All the best
Sarah
Kirkcaldy and Dysart: Kinnaird, Brown, McDougall, Page
Burntisland: Brown, Chalmers
Perth: Low
Donegal: Browne, O'Donnell
Montrose: Allardice
Dorset: Allen

Offline juliebenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 September 08 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

sorry for the really late reply but we've been renovating and this was all put away.  The trip sounds great.  Are there any sites for MI's to look up as I'm struggling to get any Scottish info at all in particular Redgorton and Perthshire.  I would be very interested in your description of Redgorton and the cemetery if you don't mind.

Thanks for the info.
Cheers
Julie

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 September 08 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Juliebenny

Nice to hear from you.  I've been busy with other things and not done much family history recently but I have a fair bit on file that might be useful to you depending on how closely our family's connect.
As far as I know the MIs are not available online.  I got them from some booklets in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.  All the booklets were compiled by local family history groups a while back and don't seem to be available electronically.
I visited the cemeteries a couple of years back and had taken some notes.  Also some photos but I'm not sure if I kept them, will have to check.  The booklets were great for checking what I thought I could read as a lot of the gravestones are worn away and difficult to read.
I am planning, when I have some spare time, to go to Perth and visit the A K Bell Library to find out if they have some local documents that I can't get via the web or in Glasgow.
It would be interesting to swap information to see if we can find a link between the families.  I have my family tree on Genes Reunited website - you don't by any chance use that as well, do you?  If not I could export it and send it to you.  If you think that would be a good idea, send me a private message with your email address and I'll forward some info to you.
Redgorton was the parish for that area.  These days it's a small rural village, Moneydie is a very pretty hamlet and Luncarty an expanding, fairly large village on the outskirts of Perth.  My grandfather was called William Low and he was born at Down Hill to the north of Luncarty.  In previous times it was a coaching inn serving the main road to and from the Highlands.  The motorway now bypasses it but you can still see how it would have been an important place for drovers and other travellers to stop, eat, sleep and take care of their horses.  My grandfathers family seem to have been blacksmiths, joiners etc.  I don't know if they owned the inn or were employees but they were there from the 1800s right up to at least 1905.
Anyway, all the best with your research and get in touch if you want to investigate any connection further.
Sarah

Kirkcaldy and Dysart: Kinnaird, Brown, McDougall, Page
Burntisland: Brown, Chalmers
Perth: Low
Donegal: Browne, O'Donnell
Montrose: Allardice
Dorset: Allen