Author Topic: Miller/Lowe  (Read 6931 times)

Offline dblowe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Miller/Lowe
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 April 15 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,
I have just stumbled across this old post, so hopefully you are still around and pick this up...
I have only recently returned to exploring my ancestry (after a 25 year gap!). My gg-grandfather, Charles Miller Lowe/Low, emigrated to Australia in 1854 (part of the 1850's goldrush!) and then married 4 years later. His marriage certificate shows his parents as Thomas Lowe and Helen Miller, and the immigration/shipping records show him coming from Perthshire, and being born in 1829. I am therefore confident that he is this Charles Low - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X1KL-S45 (with the change from "Low" to "Lowe" being fairly typical).
This would also make him the Charles Low shown in the 1841 census, living at Downhill as an 11 year old - hence my interest in your mention of Low and Down Hill. Are you still exploring this branch? And would you be willing to share any details you might have regarding this family.
Thanks for any help!
David

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 July 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi David. I've got some information on the family that I'd be happy to share. Can you PM me? We can swap emails and I can send you copies of what I have. Whether either of us have got any further back than the other is unlikely but we may be able to keep in touch and share progress.

Sarah
Kirkcaldy and Dysart: Kinnaird, Brown, McDougall, Page
Burntisland: Brown, Chalmers
Perth: Low
Donegal: Browne, O'Donnell
Montrose: Allardice
Dorset: Allen

Offline Toothfairy25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 April 16 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hello, after a Google search I have just found this old thread and joined up! Having moved into a house at downhill which I think may be the one you've been discussing, I'd be really interested to hear any related history of anyone is happy to share?

Offline dblowe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 April 16 12:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Toothfairy25,
Thanks for the message. It would indeed be fascinating if you had indeed moved into the house where my gg-grandfather was born, and where his family lived in the 1820-1850's.

My ggg-grandparents were Thomas Low and Helen Miller. Their children were William (1824), Maria (1826), Margaret (1828), Charles (1829 - my ancestor), Peter (1832, died), Helen (1834), and Peter (1837).

The 1841 census shows the family (parents and 6 children) living at Downhill, in the Parish of Redgorton. Thomas is listed as a 50yo  Innkeeper. At the same address is a separate household of Alexander (25yo, Blacksmith apprentice) and Margaret (25yo) Low – possibly a half-brother from an earlier marriage?

Charles emigrated to Australia in the early 1850's (probably after his mother Helen died, as the 1851 census shows Thomas now married to Christina, but still living at Downhill). An 1853 newspaper article indicates that Thomas was still at Downhill, though articles in 1854 and 1855 indicate that he may not have been there anymore.

The actual house can be seen at https://goo.gl/maps/VrSsaQdv6cB2. Is the one where you are now living?

There is also some information at http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/sc-17923-luncarty-post-office-downhill-redgorton#.VsjxNZx94a4 and https://canmore.org.uk/site/27010/luncarty-downhill-the-arns

Some other information from an online discussion forum states:

"What i can tell you Downhill was originally named Dome-hill regarding the hill behind the houses and as village rumour goes it was once the site of an ancient settlement, when they were building up the banks for the railway seemingly a skeleton was found which they think dated 100s of years old, the local vicar was informed who ordered the bones to be put back into the soil. Round the corner from Downhill (through the Bridges) you had the old Ordie shuttle mill that made the thread shuttles for the surrounding textile mills, this dated back to the 1800s.The big white house as we called it at Downhill was once the local shop (i dont have the dates handy just now but could soon find out) footnote to say that house has been on the property market for about 5 years, only pic i can find attached.

A subsequent 1857 record for Downhill describes it as:

"Downhill: A neat dwellinghouse, and suitable offices, the former two storeys the latter one, all slated and in good repair also a smithy and dwelling property and residence of Mr Thomas Law, (Ordnance Survey Name Books, OS1/25/71/28)"

If you PM me with your email address I would be happy to share whatever other information I have.

All the best,
 David

Offline Toothfairy25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 May 16 09:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your reply- that's fascinating! That is indeed the house we live in!
The house was previously an inn (still with 'maid's quarters'- now our attic) and what is now our dining room was the local post office, and there was a shop in the garden at one point too. I have some photos I can send to you, and would love to know more about it - I just have to work out how to send a pm to you with my email address! (On my phone at the minute so it's not the easiest!)

Offline juliebenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 30 October 16 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Just found your replies.  How exciting to reside in the house of our ancestors. I also would be extremely interested in any information.  I do not have a lot on them but happy to share.
Cheers
Julie

Offline Katy31

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 September 22 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexander and Margaret Low from 1841 census are my ggg grandparents. I am having a problem finding out about the Low family in Downhill. Alexander appears to have been born there. I have found two birth certificates about the same time, one has John low and Eliza Scott as parents and the other has just Thomas Low as father and no mother. Has anyone any idea about that? I have some photos a gravestones from luncarty with Lows on them. Peter Low blacksmith Pittendinie, died 1874. Not sure where he fits in with me yet but must be a link somewhere. Any info on the Lows would be appreciated. Kind regards Katy Day. Researching Mccourtie/Low.