Author Topic: Killearn Gamekeeper  (Read 16835 times)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Killearn Gamekeeper
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 January 08 21:32 GMT (UK) »
I think I might have found them on the 1881 Cencus.

Living at Gargowan Lodge, Kilmaronock, Dunbartonshire

Robert, Head of Household, age 35, born Killearn (Stirlingshire), occupation Gamekeeper died 11th January 1929 aged 86
Annie, Wife, age 30, born Glasgow (Lanarkshire) died 25th June 1910 age 59
Nelly, daughter, age 10, born Strathblane (Stirlingshire), Scholar (probably Helen)
Robert, son, age 9, born Strathblane (Stirlingshire), Scholar died 19th October 1895 age 23
Jessie (Janet), daughter, age 7, born Killearn (Stirlingshire), Scholar died (a spinster?) 25th February 1954 age 80
Annie, daughter, age 6, born Killearn Stirlingshire)  * see below - this is another stone in Killearn Churchyard
Archibald (Norval), son, age 4, born Kilmaronock (Dunbartonshire) died 6th February 1941 aged 64
Walter, son, age 2, born Kilmaronock (Dunbartonshire)
James, son, age 1 month, born Kilmaronock (Dunbartonshire)

* In loving memory of ROBERT GILMOUR beloved husband of Annie B. Paul
Died 10th November 1941 aged 67 years
The above ANNIE B. PAUL died 18th May 1956 aged 81 years

Blue text - dates from gravestone

This Annie B. Paul might not be the correct one of course!!   

If you 'google' Killearn and Kilmaronock, you'll see that although they're in different Counties, they're not really that far apart.

Anne

Offline charmonium

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 November 08 21:15 GMT (UK) »
I know the answer to this one. 

Robert Paul was born 2 Dec 1871 and died 19 Oct 1895. He did not marry Maggie Young but she had his child just before he died.  The family story was that they did not marry before the child was born because he died in the accident. However the dates don't quite back this up.

Their child was born Robert Paul Young on 11 Oct 1895 in Eaglesham.  Margaret Young then married James Stewart in 1900.  The child Robert took the surname Stewart.  Robert married Jeanie Young in 1931.  Robert owned a garage at Dumbuck near Dumbarton. Robert and Jeanie had a son John born in 1939. He was better known as Jackie Stewart, former Formula 1 World Champion.

Offline jamesnpaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 February 09 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roony,
I am James Norval Paul, Killearn Gamekeepers, my Father, Robert Paul, b.1909,d1994,is the THIRD gamekeeper of the PAUL line, my GRANDFATHER, JAMAS NORVAL PAUL,was born at Gargowan Lodge,his story is of a courageous Scots Guardsman,WW1, double MILITARY MEDAL,i have his medal,pls email me:

Moderator comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses.  Please use the PM system to exchange such info

I have lot of direct history of our Family
best regards
James and Sylvia Paul

Moderator comment: details of living person removed in accordance with Rootschat policy and to protect their identity from theft.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 11:07 GMT (UK) »
welcome to rootschat james  :) (and charmonium)

wasn't jackie stewart a clay pigeon champion as well as a racing one
gamekeeper heritage ?

looks like we have a result here , well done everybody  :D

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline jamesnpaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ev,

This is James Norval Paul, thanks for your reply, yes Jackie Stewart was Olympic Standard Clay Pigeon Shot, he was chosen for the Olympics, however he went racing instead and we all know what the result of that. I have spent many happy days at the Jackie Stewart Clay Pigeon Centre at Gleneagles.

I am new to Ancestry, having much fun tracing the family, starting with the Pauls, the Scots Guards historical centre in London have been superb at tracing the WW1 history of my grandfather, James Norval Paul, I have detailed history of his activities on the battle field. I will be visiting Killearn shortly to meet members of our family.

James 

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 12:43 GMT (UK) »
James, if you are in Killearn, stop off at Strathblane Churchyard also, there are many, Norvals in there.

regards,

Lindsay
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline jamesnpaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lindsay,
Thanks for tip, will visit,Annie Norval married a Paul,my name follows from this route,are you linked to the PAUL family?,I will visit Scotland during April to push my new hobby,PAUL family are Killearn based,my Mother was a BAIN,Denny,Dunipace,Glasgow.  The BAIN,s line founded a large production unit in the USA to produce the :BAIN WAGON:range of products,I have a book,(sales Literature)of the Product Range,all priced.
My focus at this moment is the PAUL line,I am now into
the 1780s.
thanks for your input,
James Norval Paul

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello James, my interest is more in Killearn, 99% of Morrisons in Killearn in 1840's to 1880's are my family.

I do have a small connection to an Alexander Paul (born c. 1849 in Killearn), he married Margaret Pollock Graham on 25th January 1881. Their daughter would have been my 2C3R.

Alexander (in case you don't have this) son of John Paul and Elizabeth King, died 8th July 1903 at 260, Garscube Road, Glasgow of Apoplexia and Secondary Paralysis.   It is quite a sad story ... his wife Margaret (my 1C4R) died 1 year and 2 days after their marriage of an embolism following the birth of their daughter, Mary Paul (born 16th January 1882).  He had small Mary's birth certificate altered and changed her name to Maggie Mary Paul.

Alexander never remarried after the death of Margaret. I am not sure what happened to Maggie Mary afterwards but I do know that she was included in the will of her great grandfather, Thomas Meikle who died in 1890 - he left her 19 pounds and 19 shillings sterling - "to the little daughter of my grand-daughter Margaret Graham in the event of her surviving at my decease".

I have also another Paul connection - a Margaret Ann Paul (daughter of George Paul and Margaret McKinley) married Robert Scott of Killearn in 1895. Robert was my 1C3R, I have a suspicion - unchecked - that Margaret McKinley was also connected to me.

Funnily enough this twice in the last week that these Pauls (my connections) have come up, I will check the details and let you know if the other person.

regards,

Lindsay
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline jamesnpaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 May 10 09:21 BST (UK) »
Killearn Gamekeepers,todate I have found  7 no Gamekeepers in the PAUL family:
Robert Paul      -1804-1885
Janet Gardner  -1805-1904  Spouse

Robert Paul      -1843-1929
Annie Norval    - 1850-1910 Spouse

James N Paul   - 1881-1958
Jane Hamilton  - 1880-1970

Robert Paul      -1871-1895   death,shotgun accident
john Paul         - 1887-1976
walter Paul      -1878-1935

Robert Paul     -1909-1986
Agnes M Bain  -1905-1986

Robert 1843-James 1881- Robert 1909 all worked at Duntreath Castle,Strathblane,total service 114 yrs.
Can anyone help with the Parents of Walter Paul 1755-1808 and Margaret Watson,I am 100% certain of all the others,have family data on record,
Jamesnpaul