Author Topic: Female Lock Hospital and Asylum???  (Read 5117 times)

Offline simon04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Female Lock Hospital and Asylum???
« on: Thursday 06 January 05 21:16 GMT (UK) »
I have oncovered what appears to be ancestor from an 1891 census lookup. She appears to be a patient at Female Lock Hospital and Asylum, Harrow Road, Paddington.

Does anyone know how to get more deatils or if there would be any records for this place?

Thanks in advance, Simon.
Middlesex & London, Prussia - Germany.

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Female Lock Hospital and Asylum???
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 January 05 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Victorian London - Health and Hygiene - Hospitals - Lock Hospital

LOCK HOSPITAL, HARROW ROAD; CHAPEL and ASYLUM, WESTBOURNE GREE. Supposed to be so called from the French loques, rags, from the rags (lint) applied to wounds and sores; to lock of wool, lock of hair. The Hospital (the only one of the kind in London) was established in 1746, for the cure of females suffering from disorders contracted by a vicious course of life; the Chapel in 1764, as a means of income to the Hospital; and the Asylum in 1787, for the reception of penitent females recovered in the Hospital. A subscription of three guineas annually entitles to one recommendation; 50l. donation or 5 guineas annually, consistutes a governor.

Peter Cunningham, Hand-Book of London, 1850

Don't say I don't do anything for you!

Regards, Emma ;)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 January 05 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Me again!

LOCK HOSPITAL, Harrow-road; CHAPEL and ASYLUM, Westbourne-green: the Hospital established 1746, for the treatment of the peculiar disease incident to profligate women; the Asylum founded 1787 by the Bible commentator, the Rev. Thomas Scott, for the reclamation of the cured inmates to virtuous habits; and the Chapel in 1764, for the ministration to the unfortunate patients and inmates. The establishment was originally formed in Grosvenor-place, where the Chapel, by its popular preachers, became a source of income to the institution. This is the only Asylum existing in connexion with a hospital; all penitentiaries are necessarily shut against the sick and dying outcasts; and for such there is no complete refuge save "the Lock Hospital." (See Low's Charities, p. 99.) In 1842, the Institution was removed to its present site; in 1849, the success of an autograph appeal by the Duke of Cambridge provided for the admission of double the number of patients.   
    The Lock Hospital is so called from the Loke or Lock, in Kent-street, Southwark, a spittal for leprous persons of early date. The name has been referred to the old French loques, rags, from the linen applied to sores; "but otherwise, and with more probability, from the Saxon loq, shut, closed, in reference to the necessary seclusion of the leper on account of the infectious nature of his disease." (Archer's Vestiges, Part I.) We find Lock "an infirmary" in Bailey's Dictionary. Others trace the Southwark Hospital to the stream, or open sewer, called "the Lock," which divided the parishes of St. George and St. Mary, Newington, and is shown in Rocque's large map of Surrey. The Hospital known to have existed temp. Edward II., had a chapel dedicated to St. Leonard. (Tanner.) it came into the possession of St. Bartholomews Hospital, whence it received patients: falling into decay, it was let in tenements was taken down in 1809, and its site laid into the Dover-road; a portion of the site was, however, consecrated as the parish burial-ground more than a century since, and so continues.
    There were other "Locks" : - 2. Between Mile End and Stratford-is-Bow. 3. At Kingsland. between Shoreditch and Stoke Newington, the chapel of which, St. Bartholomew's, remained till 1840. (See CHAPELS, p. 209.) A sun-dial on the premises formerly bore this inscription, significant of sin and sorrow :-
    "Post voluptatem misericordia."
    Prior to its alienation from the mother hospital, the house had a communication with the chapel so contrived that the patients might take part in the service without seeing or being seen by the rest of the congregation: and there was a similar arrangement in the Lock-chapel in Grosvenor-place. 4. At Knightsbridge, east of Albert-gate, was a lazar-house under the patronage of the Abbot and Convent of Westminster: the Hospital chapel (Holy Trinity) remains: it was rebuilt in 1627, by a licence from Dr. Laud, then Bishop of London, as a chapel of ease to St. Martin's-in-the-Fields, within the precincts of which it was situated; but it was subsequently assigned to the parish of St. George, Hanover-square, and now forms part of Kensington.-.Notes and Queries, No. 114.

John Timbs, Curiosities of London, 1867
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 January 05 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Searching the Hospitals database on the national archives site brings up the following regarding any available records:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=166&hospital=lock&town=&searchdatabase.x=0&searchdatabase.y=0

From this, I would suggest contacting the Metropolitan Archives to see if they have any knowledge of patient records:

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/leisure_heritage/libraries_archives_museums_galleries/lma/

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline simon04

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 January 05 19:59 GMT (UK) »
 ;)

Thanks for all your help. I am eager to get more info on this one.

Kind regards, Simon.
Middlesex & London, Prussia - Germany.

Offline EION

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 January 05 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Searching the Hospitals database on the national archives site brings up the following regarding any available records:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=166&hospital=lock&town=&searchdatabase.x=0&searchdatabase.y=0

From this, I would suggest contacting the Metropolitan Archives to see if they have any knowledge of patient records:

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/leisure_heritage/libraries_archives_museums_galleries/lma/

Casalguidi
ADAMS/RICHES,/FLEMING/ CROFTS     ENGLAND/ IRELAND

Offline Angela Mcvey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 November 17 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon did you get any further with this? I too (think) my g g grandmother may have been an inmate in 1861 census. Read a v interesting thesis about the Lock which I just found when I googled Lock hospital and asylum Paddington, history.
Angela

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 November 17 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

According to his profile, Simon hasn't been online here since 2005 and has switched off notifications for this topic.

If you can increase your post count to 2, you could try sending him a personal message but if his email address has changed since 2005 unfortunately there will be very little we can do to contact him.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Angela Mcvey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 November 17 11:45 GMT (UK) »
No worries Dawn thanks