Author Topic: Help needed to find Nixon family - Roscrea  (Read 10580 times)

Offline romawi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help needed to find Nixon family - Roscrea
« on: Monday 28 January 08 01:39 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping someone wonderful maybe able to help me trace part of my mothers family from Roscrea. The Fathers name was John Nixon, his wife Jane, They had at least 6 sons but maybe more. Two Adam and James died whilst only 19 and 25 during WW1. I'm sure most of the sons must have been born around 1870 to 1900. The other sons names were probably Robert, George, John and Joseph. They may have lived at Ayre Hill at some time around 1914. If any one could help find any christening, Marriage or deaths or even maybe on one of the census's that would be wonderful.
Thank you.
Biddiscombe (Wiltshire).
Watson (Stockton on Tees)
Jamieson (Wolviston)
Rothwell (Salford/Heywood, Lancs - Stockton, Durham.)
Paisley(Hampshire)
White (East Stoneham/Liverpool)
Taylor (Liverpool)

Offline Glencanon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to find Nixon family - Roscrea
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 April 09 23:20 BST (UK) »
John Nixon   ran away from home to join the army, and was fetched back home by his father, he returned to the army for a second time and had a distinguished military career, married, twins(girl and a boy) one  further male child died in infancy. whilst living in Germany father serving B.A.O.R. Johns first wife died, and he re.married.  Served as a Special Constable during 2nd World War. John visited Roscrea in 1938 and again in 1949. 

Joseph retired to Bexhill on Sea, believe he had one daughter .
I have a poem which Joseph wrote in memory of the brother James.

I believe there were 11 children(10 sons and 1 daughter)

Hope this will help .

Offline romawi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 10:58 BST (UK) »
Glencanon, wow! what an amazing history of my relatives. I presume from your information that you are related too. I would be so very interested in any more information that you may have on this family connection and especially the poem Joseph wrote.
Sorry I haven't replied to you information sooner. i live in New Zealand, have 3 young children, and work too. My family history passion fits in when I have time and this is a little erratic, but I really do appreciate your help and response, I will pass it on to my Mother in law staright away.
Thanks
Sarah
Biddiscombe (Wiltshire).
Jamieson (Wolviston)
Paisley(Hampshire)
Taylor (Liverpool)

Offline Glencanon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 May 09 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hello from West coast Scotland, I am the grand daughter of John Nixon.  I have personal knowledge of grandfathers military and family life from long conversations with him in my early life. The poem is as follows:-
In France there is a grave
A grave of covered clay
And underneath that mossy bank
Our darling Jimmy lay.

Let not a single teardrop fall
Nor be there sounds of weeping
While lost for ever to us all
Our darling Jim is sleeping

For weary months he fought in vain
Waiting the Peace that never came
But God himself he thought it best
To take him to Eternal rest

The Lord he took our boy away
But we will not repine
For in that Heavenly Home above
Our darling Jim will shine

The fairest flower was first to fall
The seweetest first to fade
The fondes, dearest, best of all,
Within the grave is  laid.

Sergt/ Joseph Nixon 1st Bn Leinster Regt. R.C.  18.6.17

This show of brotherly love never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

I will let you have further information in the near future re the medals etc and the remaining family. 
Peace and Love,
G.

Offline romawi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 May 09 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Glencanon,
What a beautiful poem, really lovely thank you so much for sending it. My mother in law is the Granddaughter of Robert Nixon, one of John's brothers. I have a photo cut from a newspaper - I don't know if you have seen it already of  six of the brothers. Happy to send it if you haven't seen it. I have a few details about Adam who died at Gallipoli but not James although i did find details about him on Commonwealth war graves. i have a lovely photo of Robert and his family I will put it on here for you as soon as I can. I would love any information you may be able to give me on John and your family.
Thank you
God bless
Sarah
Biddiscombe (Wiltshire).
Jamieson (Wolviston)
Paisley(Hampshire)
Taylor (Liverpool)

Offline romawi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 May 09 11:52 BST (UK) »
Thought you may like this...

Sarah
Biddiscombe (Wiltshire).
Jamieson (Wolviston)
Paisley(Hampshire)
Taylor (Liverpool)

Offline Glencanon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 May 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hello  Sarah,

I would be very pleased to receive the photos and any information on any of our family members. I have been working on the family tree since 1972, and I greatly appreciate you taking time to provide the information. I have followed my fathers family back to the mid 1700s,  and have visited many of the areas in which they lived and worked. I was very close to my grandfather Nixon and it was said in the family that he was seen always with a dog to one heel and me at the other.  I inherited his love of animals and the outdoors, and as a child I heard first hand his stories of his time served in India, his love for his native Ireland, and  wasin Dublin at Easter time 1916 when the Post Office was taken over in the name of the Republic, and in 1995 I visited Dublin and stood at the same site.  He met my grand mother on that same leave whilst recovering from wounds, the bullet he carried with him to death in 1957. His son John  served in a Scottish Regiment, and married a Scots  girl. They had 2 children, XXXX  My mother XXXX I gave up my career to take care of  my late father, and moved to Scotland 2004.

I am driving down to England tomorrow, on leave for 10 days, and taking with  me family photos for my daughter to scan into the laptop. Hopefully I will be able to forward them on to you.  Over the years I have  rescued  family photos and documents, questioned living relatives, and read up history local to the family homes.  We do share a very interesting family and I have alway thought it important that the stories should be passed on, and that the information gives many answers as to how our own character has developed.

Will be in touch on my return from England.

Peace and love,
Greraldine.

Moderator's Note: Edited to remove details of possible living person in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline romawi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 May 09 03:03 BST (UK) »
Picture of the brothers for you, don't know who is who. Will send others direct to you if you could Pm me with your email address. Thanks
Enjoy your trip
Sarah
Biddiscombe (Wiltshire).
Jamieson (Wolviston)
Paisley(Hampshire)
Taylor (Liverpool)

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 May 09 07:13 BST (UK) »
2 Nixons from Roscrea were killed in ww1, James and Adam.
 Regards.
 Tom